[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pirates of the Carribean III Review

DMD

Just got back from the movie. I admittedly like pirates and action movies with funny lines. The review I read of the movie really panned it.

The positives:

- Lots of action

- Special effects so good you forget they are special effects

- One element was satisfying to the ladies in the audience

- Several funny lines, mostly all the same characters

- Did come to a definite conclusion unlike Pirates II

- Probably targeted for a late teen audience

The negatives

- Rated PG but some elements probably a bit much for really young kids (violence only)

- 3 hours long and it felt like it

- I had problems understanding what people were saying on occasion

- I and many others were confused or a little lost at times. You have to really listen to what they are saying to catch exactly what is going on. Action moved the movie but sometimes it was unclear why it was doing what it was doing.

- There were a few scenes I still not sure I understand. Like they correlated somehow but I did not catch why so it just seem extraneous

Overall, I would give it a B- and mainly just because of the action scenes and funny offhand dialogue at times. I think it was sort of cofusing too often. Just a summer movie with a lot of action and effects, but it wasn't nearly as good as Pirates I and was almost as bad as Pirates II. It'll make a lot of money from the younger crowd during the summer I would guess, but I was disappointed (for instance - a 3 hour pirate movie and nothing had anything to do with treasure?). I actually think the women in the audience liked it better than the men.

I give it an official "meh"

Almost as bad as Pirates II? I liked that one more.

In fairness, I rarely like the second of a trilogy of anything because there is never any resolution of anything, just an extension of the story line if not complicating it more without resolving it at all.

In fairness, I rarely like the second of a trilogy of anything because there is never any resolution of anything, just an extension of the story line if not complicating it more without resolving it at all.

I see your point there.

Almost as bad as Pirates II? I liked that one more.

I was very pissed at the "ending" for Pirates II. It was like, "we're just going to stop at a random place in the story so that we can get your money for another sequel".

I was very pissed at the "ending" for Pirates II. It was like, "we're just going to stop at a random place in the story so that we can get your money for another sequel".

That was exactly my feeling. Like getting up and leaving a movie in the middle.

Godfather :D

I know what you are saying DMD, and I agree with you, most times the 2nd of a trilogy are the worst for the reason you stated, it is the middle of the story.

Nope - and I understand there was a scene we never saw. I hate when they do that. The credits came on and did not have any story going on behind them to suggest that there was anything coming. What was in that scene anyway?

One review I read somewhere suggested that by the producers/writers/whatever had made a conscious decision to favor big explosions and crap over plotline and dialogue so as to appeal to international movie-goers instead of American movie-goers (since big explosions and crap translate much more easily than plot/dialogue).

:D

(In their defense however, I think Baby Police would have been much more enjoyable to me as an American viewer if its producers had focused less on dialogue and more on wacky antics.)

Edited by wiegie

I'm hoping all of you stayed for the scene at the end of the credits.

You'd think as many people that have seen the first two flicks would realize they would have a short scene at the end of the credits. Nope!.....Out of a full theater, maybe 10 people stuck around to see it.

• 3 weeks later...