[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why Do People Hate Barry Bonds?

spain

:D

Oh and he did admit to accidently taking steroids in some kind of balm or ointment.

[jackiechiles] You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? I didn't tell you to put the balm on. Why'd you put the balm on? You haven't even been to see thedoctor. If your gonna put a balm on, let a doctor put a balm on. Do you know what a balm is? Have you ever seen a balm? Didn't you read the instructions? No one can tell what a balm's gonna do. They're unpredictable. [jackiechiles]

And what were the rules in baseball at that time?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there evidence out there that BB tested positive? Or is everybody presuming because of his growth and association with Balco that he did it?

You asked if there was evidence. He admitted it. So you are okay with the fact that he used steroids. Just want to make sure. :D

When my aunt met him, he was very pleasant and personable. His wife was also. My aunt is the kindergarten/pre-K administrator for a fairly nice private school in the SF Bay Area and he and his wife were looking around for schools for their children. Interesting thing is it was over the summer so it caught her off guard as they did not have an appointment or anything like that.

I don't think it is so much the people hating Barry Bonds as it is the media hating Barry Bonds. He doesn't cow-tow to the media and they despise him for it ... so the media smears BBs every opportunity they get (their way of whining loudly about how their feelings are hurt that Barry won't give them their way).

I am guessing that I am in the minority here. I was a big fan of Bonds when he played here in Pittsburgh and I still am a fan of his to this day. Granted he may be a jerk off the field but on the field I think he is the greatest baseball player I have ever gotten to see play and possibly one of the best players all time.

agree with these completely. why does barry bonds have a reputation as being a total prick? mostly because he's a total prick to the media. there are maybe a few baseball players who actually interact with fans directly and stand out as being really great guys, the rest really only deal with the media. and bonds stands out as being a jackass because the media hate him.

as far as the cheating stuff...ya know, i'm pretty certain he cut some corners at some point....i think they allege it started around the 2000 season. which means he was pretty f'n late to the party as far as using the juice is concerned. he didn't cheat until he saw blatant cheaters like sammy sosa, mark mcgwire, albert belle, jose canseco, lenny dykstra, bret boone, ken caminiti, gary sheffield, miguel tejada, all become lionized and celebrated by baseball for their accomplishments. also, i never really thought steroids would help pitchers much, but i've heard mounting evidence that a very large number of pitchers from the "steroid era" were also juicers. now bonds is essentially being made the fall guy for the entire sport totally looking the other way when it comes to steroids during the post-strike era, and i think that is bullchit.

i do think it's kind of a downer that he will be the next "home run king". but, IMO, ALL baseball stats have to be looked at in light of their era in the game. bonds played through the juiced ball and steroid eras. hammerin hank played through a more reasonable era, but babe ruth played during a time when he hit more homeruns individually than most (if not all) other TEAMS. i read somewhere that, if modern rules and ballpark dimensions were in place in the 20s, there is a season he would have hit 104 home runs! babe ruth is and probably always will be the greatest home run hitter ever. not hank aaron, not barry bonds. but barry bonds IS one of the handful of greatest baseball players ever, and certainly the greatest anyone of my generation has ever had the privilege of watching. take the 2000 and 2001 seasons off his record entirely and he is STILL among the all-time greats, no question about it. and i guess that is what it ultimately boils down to for me.

one additional thing worth noting. right now, we know the guy is being tested. he is 43 years old. his on-base percentage is tops in all of baseball at .494, and he is tied for 4th in the NL with 12 home runs. he is tied with A-Rod (who i believe set a record for homeruns in the month of april) for most HR per AB, at 1 every 10.

An article I read in regards to Clemens...someone finally calling Clemens what he is.

Plus he choked in the playoffs. I still remember that horrible throw home when he couldn't even nail a gimpy slowass Sid Bream at the plate. I had nightmares about that game.

Hey there people in TV land, he's a fathead. I can't say I hate the guy though.

<Bravesfan> Ah...the 91/92 NLCS...some classic games there! <Bravesfan>

It is illegal to take uncontrolled substances in the US. US law supercedes the rules in baseball.

agree with these completely. why does barry bonds have a reputation as being a total prick? mostly because he's a total prick to the media. there are maybe a few baseball players who actually interact with fans directly and stand out as being really great guys, the rest really only deal with the media. and bonds stands out as being a jackass because the media hate him.

as far as the cheating stuff...ya know, i'm pretty certain he cut some corners at some point....i think they allege it started around the 2000 season. which means he was pretty f'n late to the party as far as using the juice is concerned. he didn't cheat until he saw blatant cheaters like sammy sosa, mark mcgwire, albert belle, jose canseco, lenny dykstra, bret boone, ken caminiti, gary sheffield, miguel tejada, all become lionized and celebrated by baseball for their accomplishments. also, i never really thought steroids would help pitchers much, but i've heard mounting evidence that a very large number of pitchers from the "steroid era" were also juicers. now bonds is essentially being made the fall guy for the entire sport totally looking the other way when it comes to steroids during the post-strike era, and i think that is bullchit.

i do think it's kind of a downer that he will be the next "home run king". but, IMO, ALL baseball stats have to be looked at in light of their era in the game. bonds played through the juiced ball and steroid eras. hammerin hank played through a more reasonable era, but babe ruth played during a time when he hit more homeruns individually than most (if not all) other TEAMS. i read somewhere that, if modern rules and ballpark dimensions were in place in the 20s, there is a season he would have hit 104 home runs! babe ruth is and probably always will be the greatest home run hitter ever. not hank aaron, not barry bonds. but barry bonds IS one of the handful of greatest baseball players ever, and certainly the greatest anyone of my generation has ever had the privilege of watching. take the 2000 and 2001 seasons off his record entirely and he is STILL among the all-time greats, no question about it. and i guess that is what it ultimately boils down to for me.

Oh...and this is pretty much how I feel about Bonds. He is a tool, but one of the greatest players ever. Even before the steroids.

A CEO appears to be an intelligent person who thinks for himself. Clemmons is hardly portrayed as an ass by the media at large.

I do rule.

Maybe Clemmons gets a free ride because he's white. If he got messed up in drugs, it's someone else's fault.

An article I read in regards to Clemens...someone finally calling Clemens what he is.

It is illegal to take uncontrolled substances in the US. US law supercedes the rules in baseball.

That's a silly article. They should call out the owners who pay for Clemens in the manenr he dislikes. The point is Clemons is good enough to get away with it.

And Bonds broke US law, but not baseball rules - at least is he tookd steroids AFTER 2002, which was when the first rule went into the books.

Bonds is Frankenstein's Monster, and Selig/Fehr are Frankenstein. Who's to blame?

I have met Barry Bonds 3 or 4 times. he was always a very nice guy. he just hates reporters(and I don't blame him). his daddy (Bobby Bonds) was much more the headcase than Bonds as far as I personally seen.

That being said...he is a cheater and was 1 of many who ruined a whole era of baseball.

That's a silly article. They should call out the owners who pay for Clemens in the manenr he dislikes. The point is Clemons is good enough to get away with it.

Agreed about the owners. But I still think Clemens is selfish.

And Bonds broke US law, but not baseball rules - at least is he tookd steroids AFTER 2002, which was when the first rule went into the books.

Agreed again. But...when people sit there and say he didn't break any rules...well, no, he broke the law.

Bonds is Frankenstein's Monster, and Selig/Fehr are Frankenstein. Who's to blame?

Surely you can't blame Bonds. That would be un-American to expect someone to take responsibility for their actions. Instead, blame an establishment.

If Barry Bonds did steriods they were certainly illegal in terms of federal law. They were NOT illegal as far as baseball was concerned and baseball did not test for them.

If the legal standard was going to be applied there are countless other baseball players that should not have been allowed to play for any number of crimes up to and including the drug use by Daryl Strawberry.

he is tied with A-Rod (who i believe set a record for homeruns in the month of april) for most HR per AB, at 1 every 10.

Ah, but if Jack Cust could have kept it going, what then? Jack Cust, we hardly knew ye. :sigh:

he is tied with A-Rod (who i believe set a record for homeruns in the month of april) for most HR per AB, at 1 every 10.

Meh...Babe Ruth had a HR/AB of 11.7...for his career.

If Barry Bonds did steriods they were certainly illegal in terms of federal law. They were NOT illegal as far as baseball was concerned and baseball did not test for them.

If the legal standard was going to be applied there are countless other baseball players that should not have been allowed to play for any number of crimes up to and including the drug use by Daryl Strawberry.

also, it's pretty well known that for some period of time, nearly all MLB clubhouses had "greenies" (speed) readily available. guys would spike the coffee with them if the team was in a slump. of course, having and distributing these pills was a violation of the law, but their use was tolerated and tacitly endorsed by teams and the league as a whole, it was simply part of the MLB culture.

That's funny, I don't recall Darryl Strawberry using performance-enhancing drugs.

That's funny, I don't recall Darryl Strawberry using performance-enhancing drugs.

And what is your point. Somebody responded to my point that steriods weren't against the rules in baseball by stating that they were illegal. To which I responded that countless other players have committed crimes including the drug use by Strawberry.

And what is your point. Somebody responded to my point that steriods weren't against the rules in baseball by stating that they were illegal. To which I responded that countless other players have committed crimes including the drug use by Strawberry.

My point is that a performance-inhibiting drug like coke doens't compromise the integrity of the game.

My point is that a performance-inhibiting drug like coke doens't compromise the integrity of the game.

Depends now doesn't it. If one has a problem being relaxed and you perform better when you take the edge off then there might be a performance enhancing effect.

I find it funny that you say the integrity of the game is not compromised by an illegal substance like coke but is prohibited by another illegal substance, steriods.