[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Central AC unit question

keggerz

well of all times for my AC to go on the blink it was yesterday when it hit 94 here....my landlord said its a new unit they had put in last yr...my landlord is also on vacation until June 11th and I cant get in touch with him...I turned the AC off yesterday so that if it was frozen up it could thaw and then all would be well...well that didnt work at all....anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong and what it might cost to get it up and running(supposed to be in the 90s the next 3 days or so)...if it needs freon can I do that myself?

Keg,

I assume it's your store unit? :D Regardless, you need a tech to evaluate it. I don't think you can buy the freon anymore, because it's regulated and only certified people can buy/install it.

I'd call a tech and when the landlord comes back, try and negotiate the "emergency" repair.

Maybe others will have a better idea! :D

Good luck, Bro! :tup:

Keg,

I assume it's your store unit? :D Regardless, you need a tech to evaluate it. I don't think you can buy the freon anymore, because it's regulated and only certified people can buy/install it.

I'd call a tech and when the landlord comes back, try and negotiate the "emergency" repair.

Maybe others will have a better idea! :D

Good luck, Bro! :tup:

no its the unit at the house we are renting...the unit at the store could freeze hell over

I would almost bet that you need freon. My AC was running fine last year and then all of a sudden nothing and my pipes were freezing up (half inch of ice around the pipes). I needed freon. Also check the fuses and that the unit in general is free of leaves, grass etc. from the exterior and interior as if it's not your compressor could be shot cause it's over-worked. I'm not an expert, these are just a couple thoughts based on experiences I've had.

no its the unit at the house we are renting...the unit at the store could freeze hell over

All the same. I'd call the tech and go for broke w/ the LL.

By the way.........it's an unwritten law that an AC unit won't go out until the temp is above 85 degrees w/ 80% humidity. :D

It's also an unwritten law that:

Furnaces will only go out when the temp is -1 or lower.

Refrigerators go out when the damn thing is full.

Toilets and drains clog when you have company.

The dog rubs it's ass on the carpet the day after you get the carpet cleaned.

Garbage disposals quit during a big party.

3 trips to a hardware store are minimum for a plumbing repair.

Hot water heaters go out right before a vacation.

So do sump pumps.

Cars crap out ONLY during rush hour.

I have more, but ALL the above happened to me! :D

If it's that new is there a tag on it for the company that installed it? My guess would be that it is under warranty...if not fromt the installers then from whatever company makes the unit. Call said original company, have them get it running then let the landlord knock it off the rent and deal with the company himself.......Maybe there won't be a charge :D

It may be much more than the freon. I had my AC unit at home take a dump a couple of years ago. The motor itself was shot. Cost to repair: several hundred $$$ with no guarantee that it would work for more than 2 days. Had to bite the bullet and buy a new system. Not cheap (5K+).

My advice to you is to go buy some window fans for at a night and hang out at bars during the day. Let the landlord deal with the expense and headache of fixing the unit.

It may be much more than the freon. I had my AC unit at home take a dump a couple of years ago. The motor itself was shot. Cost to repair: several hundred $$$ with no guarantee that it would work for more than 2 days. Had to bite the bullet and buy a new system. Not cheap (5K+).

My advice to you is to go buy some window fans for at a night and hang out at bars during the day. Let the landlord deal with the expense and headache of fixing the unit.

LL said it was put in last year, there should be a warranty...right?

Just talked to my future brother-in-law who is an AC tech. He said to check if your filter is dirty and/or clogged. But more than likely it needs freon. You have to call a tech to do this though. But freon beats the hell out of a bad compressor. Shouldn't cost you alot, but I'd call a couple AC techs to see how much they charge for adding freon. Some might still charge you a service call on top of the freon. If that's the case, you may want to find one close by that might not charge for the trip out to your place.

Just talked to my future brother-in-law who is an AC tech. He said to check if your filter is dirty and/or clogged. But more than likely it needs freon. You have to call a tech to do this though. But freon beats the hell out of a bad compressor. Shouldn't cost you alot, but I'd call a couple AC techs to see how much they charge for adding freon. Some might still charge you a service call on top of the freon. If that's the case, you may want to find one close by that might not charge for the trip out to your place.

Good advice, I didn't think about this but our heat went out on a very cold night and it turned out to be a dirty filter, nothing more. Same thing could happen with AC I'm sure.

Good advice, I didn't think about this but our heat went out on a very cold night and it turned out to be a dirty filter, nothing more. Same thing could happen with AC I'm sure.

When the unit can't breathe, it freezes up. By the way keggerz, I read your post to my bro the AC tech and he pretty much had no doubts about the freon, but check the filter just the same. He always gets on my case about buying those cheapo filters. He say they ain't worth squat.

i change the filters regularly(just did it last week) and dont use the cheapos either(due to my allergies and such)....it was 84 when I got home tonite...turned it own and put the temp at 80 and the temp has started to come down...but its not like it should be...fwiw I dont think its the compressor...the fan etc is clear and free...i will call a tech tomm...if all else fails we will be sleeping with 1000's of teddy bears

You may have a leak..We have a slow leak and have our unit charged every summer..It usually makes it through the whole summer with a charge . If your coil is freezing up I think its freon related

+1 on the freon thing. If the filter is fine and not clogging things, a freon leak could make the AC unit very unhappy and cause things to freeze up.

Good luck! Our 20ish year old unit finally died last June when it was in the 90s and annoying humid. But it was better than it dying in late July!

Our house is four years old, and this is the first year that we haven't needed to "call the guy". The first year, the guy had to start it up. The second year we were out of freon. The third year we found out why we were out of freon; we had a leak. We also had a part that broke. The part was covered, but the labor wasn't.

You may have a leak..We have a slow leak and have our unit charged every summer..It usually makes it through the whole summer with a charge . If your coil is freezing up I think its freon related

my money is on a leak....gonna call someone in the AM...til then back in the fridge :D

well of all times for my AC to go on the blink it was yesterday when it hit 94 here....my landlord said its a new unit they had put in last yr...my landlord is also on vacation until June 11th and I cant get in touch with him...I turned the AC off yesterday so that if it was frozen up it could thaw and then all would be well...well that didnt work at all....anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong and what it might cost to get it up and running(supposed to be in the 90s the next 3 days or so)...if it needs freon can I do that myself?

If the unit was put it last year it is under warranty. BUT, there could be a number of things:

1) If you are using a pleated 1" filter, those can actually RESTRICT air flow to your system, which is a bad thing. Check the air returns in your house. Make sure the return air grates are clean. Make sure they are not covered. (ie bookcases, dressers, other furniture, etc) And try a standard cheapo filter.

2) Is your AC unit kicking on and not cooling, or not kicking on at all? If it is kicked on and not cooling, more than likely you have a leak and are low on freon. Basically you will have a leak from one of 2 places: the outside unit or the AC coil. (sits on top of your furnace where the refrigerant line comes in). If the outdoor unit was replaced last year, you should be under warranty, which means you can call anybody that services that brand of AC and tell them to come fix it. Check on the AC for a sticker for the company that may have done the work originally. You can also have a leak in the coil. It is entirely possible they replaced the outside unit and not the coil. If they did NOT replace the coil, the odds are GREAT the leak is there, which means a new coil. Which means you need to get your landlord to replace it ASAP. If the coil WAS replaced at the time of the AC, it should be under warranty.

In the meantime, check for a sticker from an HVAC company either on the AC unit or on the sheetmetal around the furnace. It will probably be on your return air drop/boot.

Let me know if I can be of more help.

If the unit was put it last year it is under warranty. BUT, there could be a number of things:

1) If you are using a pleated 1" filter, those can actually RESTRICT air flow to your system, which is a bad thing. Check the air returns in your house. Make sure the return air grates are clean. Make sure they are not covered. (ie bookcases, dressers, other furniture, etc) And try a standard cheapo filter.

2) Is your AC unit kicking on and not cooling, or not kicking on at all? If it is kicked on and not cooling, more than likely you have a leak and are low on freon. Basically you will have a leak from one of 2 places: the outside unit or the AC coil. (sits on top of your furnace where the refrigerant line comes in). If the outdoor unit was replaced last year, you should be under warranty, which means you can call anybody that services that brand of AC and tell them to come fix it. Check on the AC for a sticker for the company that may have done the work originally. You can also have a leak in the coil. It is entirely possible they replaced the outside unit and not the coil. If they did NOT replace the coil, the odds are GREAT the leak is there, which means a new coil. Which means you need to get your landlord to replace it ASAP. If the coil WAS replaced at the time of the AC, it should be under warranty.

In the meantime, check for a sticker from an HVAC company either on the AC unit or on the sheetmetal around the furnace. It will probably be on your return air drop/boot.

Let me know if I can be of more help.

thanks for the info....fwiw the unit is kicking on and not cooling like it did...i now have it down to 76(taking it down in 2 degree increments)....i will ck to see who and what and all that stuff in the AM...til then THANKS again

It could be a vole or marmot caught in the intake manifold. Tape some salad tongs to a broomstick and get up in there. You want to make sure you get the whole vole at once, if you come out with half of it, it's a mess you don't want.