[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Interesting fact about shuffling cards

wiegie

Each time someone fairly shuffles a deck of cards it is almost certain that the resulting sequence of cards has never occured before and will never occur again.

You see, there are approximately 80,658,175,170,940,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 possible different outcomes that could occur when shuffling a standard 52-card deck of cards.

To put this in perspective, if 10 billion people had been shuffling cards at a rate of one shuffle per second since the start of the universe 14 billion years ago, they would still have only shuffled less than 1 billionth of 1 billionth of 1 billionth of 1 quadrillionth of the possible shuffling outcomes.

Have a nice day as you ponder your own insignificance.

Edited by wiegie

Each time someone fairly shuffles a deck of cards it is almost certain that the resulting sequence of cards has never occured before and will never occur again.

You see, there are approximately 80,658,175,170,940,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 possible different outcomes that could occur when shuffling a standard 52-card deck of cards.

To put this in perspective, if 10 billion people had been shuffling cards at a rate of one shuffle per second since the start of the universe 14 billion years ago, they would still have only shuffled less than 1 billionth of 1 billionth of 1 billionth of 1 quadrillionth of the possible shuffling outcomes.

Must be finals week. :D

I would still say that probability has already taken over and two Identical shuffles has and have happened.

I do that every day without your help, thank you very much. :D

Interesting. I'm still not sure I agree with pocket aces being dealt every 212 hands though. Seems more like once every 1,000 hands to me. :D

I've heard that too...but if the probability of getting one ace is 4/52, then the probability of getting two aces is (4/52) * (3/52) ... take that percentage (0.452%) and divide it into 1, and you see that there should be pocket aces dealt once every 221 hands (not 212). Relatedly, since there are thirteen different cards, you should be getting a pocket pair of some type once every 17 hands or so.

I've heard that too...but if the probability of getting one ace is 4/52, then the probability of getting two aces is (4/52) * (3/51) ... take that percentage (0.452%) and divide it into 1, and you see that there should be pocket aces dealt once every 221 hands (not 212). Relatedly, since there are thirteen different cards, you should be getting a pocket pair of some type once every 17 hands or so.

:D

I've heard that too...but if the probability of getting one ace is 4/52, then the probability of getting two aces is (4/52) * (3/52) ... take that percentage (0.452%) and divide it into 1, and you see that there should be pocket aces dealt once every 221 hands (not 212). Relatedly, since there are thirteen different cards, you should be getting a pocket pair of some type once every 17 hands or so.

But it is how you play them that counts.

I guess we now know that the value of 52! is.

Did they ever prove that shuffling 7 times gets the most random shuffle... :D

I have heard this is true, if it is 7 perfect shuffles.. ie, deck split perfectly 26 and 26 and the riffle is a perfect one to one ratio.... something most people can't do.

I have heard this is true, if it is 7 perfect shuffles.. ie, deck split perfectly 26 and 26 and the riffle is a perfect one to one ratio.... something most people can't do.

Seven consecutive one-to-one riffles would lead to a very specific (and therefore not random) ordering of cards.

[irish]The value of 52 is 52 (and there was really no need to use an exclamation point at then end of your sentence.[/irish]

But are we sure?!? It could be 65,364/1,257. And you're right there was no need to use an exclamation point at the end of the sentence but imperative that 3 or more graemlins be included. :D:tup::doh:

It's actually every 221.24 hands........... :D:D

[irish]The value of 52 is 52 (and there was really no need to use an exclamation point at then end of your sentence.[/irish]

True story:

In high school, a friend of mine was contemplating joining the navy. I had a car, he didn't, so I drove him down to the recruiting office for a meeting he had. As I am waiting outside, the Marine recruiter comes out. I had seen him at school before, and I think he recognized me from being on the basketbal lteam, etc., so we start talking, and of course he starts putting the sell on me.

Anyway, I am bored, so I agree to take their test that they give.

Math portion I totally nail, but one of the questions i something like what is 6! equal to

I kid you not, the correct answer was not listed. I checked and redid the math like 10 times, then brought it to the recruiters attention. He stood there a little flabbergasted (yes, I did fine on the verbal part to) and that was the end of my attempted military recruitment.

I think this number would be "worst case" highest number. Even with shuffling the deck 7 or 8 times, there is a high probability that the top most cards would stay towards the top of the stack and the bottom most cards would stay towards the bottom. Just presuming that the top card always stays the top card, your number goes from 8.06e67 to 1.5e66. The 52! number presumes that any one card has the possibility to be in any 1 of 52 positions, but in practicality, the "randomness" is based somewhat on the initial order as well as the skill and technique of the shuffler.

More useless card facts:

-Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history: Spades - King David, Hearts - Charlemagne, Clubs - Alexander the Great, Diamonds - Julius Caesar

-A deck of cards is statistically random with five interlocking shuffles

-The four suits in a standard deck of playing cards is thought to have originated in the Middle East. The suits started out as being coins, cups, swords and sticks. These suits evolved into today's playing card suits with the coins now being diamonds; the cups, which stood for "love", turning into hearts; the spades replaced the swords, and the sticks are now clubs.

-The fanciful design and manufacturer's logo commonly displayed on the Ace of Spades began under the reign of James I of England, who passed a law requiring an insignia on that card as proof of payment of a tax on local manufacture of cards. Until August 4, 1960, decks of playing cards printed and sold in the United Kingdom were liable for taxable duty and the Ace of Spades carried an indication of the name of the printer and the fact that taxation had been paid on the cards.

-Our common playing cards are in theory a symbolic representation of our calendar that has been used for centuries by the priests in the temples to work with planetary motion and earth's cycles. If one but notices how all the numeric values in a deck of cards match our calendar perfectly, it becomes apparent that our common deck of cards may not be so common after all.

52 Cards = 52 weeks

4 suits = 4 seasons

13 cards in each suit = the 13 lunar cycles (full and new moons)

364 / 7 days in the week = 52 cards in a deck

But the real clincher is when we add up the numeric, or spot, value of each card in the deck. The entire deck added together comes to 364. But with the addition of the Joker, which is considered to have a spot value of 1.25, we get 365.25, exactly the number of days in our calendar year.

-there are 42 eyes in a full deck of playing cards

-The Jack of Spades, Jack of Hearts, and King of Diamonds are drawn in profile, while the rest of the courts are shown in full face, these cards are commonly called "one-eyed".

-The King of Hearts is shown with a sword behind his head, making him appear to be stabbing himself; this leads to the nickname "suicide king".

-The Jack of Diamonds is sometimes known as "laughing boy".

-The King of Diamonds is armed with an axe while the other three kings are armed with swords. The King of Diamonds is sometimes referred to as "the man with the axe" because of this.

-The Ace of Spades, unique in its large, ornate spade, is sometimes said to be the death card.

-The Queen of Spades appears to hold a scepter and is sometimes known as "the bedpost queen."

proper names of the face cards

Jack of Hearts -One Eyed Jack, La Hire

Jack of Spades -One Eyed Jack, Ogier

Jack of Diamonds -Hector

Jack of Clubs -Lancelot

Queen of Hearts -Judith

Queen of Spades -Palas

Queen of Diamonds -Rachel

Queen of Clubs -Argine

King of Hearts -Suicide King, Charlemagne

King of Spades -David

King of Diamonds -Caesar