[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

More Wein snobs than Bier drinkers?

sundaynfl

That friggin movie drove Pinot prices through the roof. :D

I'm sure I could find a comparison if I wasn't hungover and put some effort into it but it would be interesting to see the annual $ figures of the beer industry vs the wine industry. Having more wine drinkers than beer drinkers doesn't necessarily equate to greater wine consumption in volume. You don't see many people slamming a case of wine on a Friday night. Obviously, the unit price is going to be higher for wine but there could still be more "units" of beer consumed, even by the smaller number of drinkers.

You don't see many people slamming a case of wine on a Friday night.

Sounds like this happens on Wednesday nights in the NW... slamming cases of wein usually happens on the weekends here in the mountains! :D

Sounds like this happens on Wednesday nights in the NW... slamming cases of wein usually happens on the weekends here in the mountains! :D

Wednesday nights are great wine nights. We hit the same wine bar every Wednesday night....drink some fantastic NW wines (and occasionally a not-so-fantastic wine). It gives us something to look forward to on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Last night we drank whites which seem to go down much faster than reds and it still only came to ~1.5 bottles / person.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

That friggin movie drove Pinot prices through the roof. :D

The good news is that you can get some pretty damned good merlot for cheap. Single vineyard, top growing areas, etc for what what you pay for non-estate level pinot.

I remember talking to the guy from Havens (who make a great merlot) when he was defending the grape.

"All through the movie they're dogging merlot. However, at the end, when he opens up his prized bottle of wine, it's a Chateau Petrus, a freaking merlot."

Edited by detlef

The good news is that you can get some pretty damned good merlot for cheap. Single vineyard, top growing areas, etc for what what you pay for non-estate level pinot.

I remember talking to the guy from Havens (who make a great merlot) when he was defending the grape.

"All through the movie they're dogging merlot. However, at the end, when he opens up his prized bottle of wine, it's a Chateau Petrus, a freaking merlot."

"Merlot, a quintessential blending grape, when left to its own devices almost always --Petrus notwithstanding -- results in a bland, characterless wine."

I thought the prized wine was a Cheval Blanc...still a merlot blend...but also includes the other wine he dogged: Cab Franc.

"Merlot, a quintessential blending grape, when left to its own devices almost always --Petrus notwithstanding -- results in a bland, characterless wine."

I thought the prized wine was a Cheval Blanc...still a merlot blend...but also includes the other wine he dogged: Cab Franc.

I respectfully disagree with the first bit. Certainly, there is an ocean of incredibly boring, bland, characterless Merlot out there. However, there is plenty of 100% or at least mostly merlot blends out there (like, say, a whole bunch of Bordeauxs) that are remarkable and distinctive.

Havens, as I mentioned is certainly one.

Paloma, Storrs, Keon, Chateau St. Michelle Cold Creek, actually most of the higher end Washington versions...

As for it being Cheval Blanc rather than Petrus, you may be right. I only saw the flick once and it was some time ago.

Edited by detlef

I respectfully disagree with the first bit. Certainly, there is an ocean of incredibly boring, bland, characterless Merlot out there. However, there is plenty of 100% or at least mostly merlot blends out there (like, say, a whole bunch of Bordeauxs) that are remarkable and distinctive.

Havens, as I mentioned is certainly one.

Paloma, Storrs, Keon, Chateau St. Michelle Cold Creek, actually most of the higher end Washington versions...

As for it being Cheval Blanc rather than Petrus, you may be right. I only saw the flick once and it was some time ago.

I think you're right. The quote is from the book. I go so hot and cold from Merlot to Merlot. I'll get a streak when I think I'll never find another Merlot that I like and then I'll hit some gems. Couldn't agree more about the premium WA producers: Leonetti merlot certainly stands out in that bunch. A recent highlight has been the Owen Roe DeBrul vineyard merlot. Owen Roe is located near Newberg, OR but the grapes come from the Debrul vineyard in the Yakima valley....The 04 was outstanding.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

• 3 weeks later...

Wednesday nights are great wine nights. We hit the same wine bar every Wednesday night....drink some fantastic NW wines (and occasionally a not-so-fantastic wine). It gives us something to look forward to on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Last night we drank whites which seem to go down much faster than reds and it still only came to ~1.5 bottles / person.

Hi.

There's an opening in Emerald City's Best, and I sure wouldn't mind a fellow wine dork in the leaugue