[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LJ to see more touches as receiver

Randall

RB L. Johnson To See Increased Role

Jason King, Kansas City Star -

Kansas City Chiefs HC Herm Edwards expressed on Wednesday his intentions to get running back Larry Johnson more touches, not as a tailback - but as a receiver. "That's the next step in his development as a running back in this league: His ability to come out of the backfield running routes," Edwards said. "We need to get the ball to our backs a little more than we did last year."

I was thinking of trying to move LJ in one of my leagues, but I think this may convince me to keep him.

I was thinking I wouldn't put too much weight into this statment at the present time. Coaches say stuff all the time in May. What does getting Larry Johnson cacthing the ball a "little more" acutally mean to his FF production come regular season. Maybe some KC homers can enlighten me, but LJ seems to be the prototypical physical RB best served by simply handing it off to and letting him do his thing.

"You play to win the game...Hello?"

I was thinking I wouldn't put too much weight into this statment at the present time. Coaches say stuff all the time in May. What does getting Larry Johnson cacthing the ball a "little more" acutally mean to his FF production come regular season. Maybe some KC homers can enlighten me, but LJ seems to be the prototypical physical RB best served by simply handing it off to and letting him do his thing.

"You play to win the game...Hello?"

Not a homer but it may be an admission the line can't open holes(right now) so they'll get him the ball away from them.

But didn't Herm also say that they planned on reducing his number of rushes (i.e getting Bennett) more involved?

In PPR, this "increased role in the passing game" is good news. However, his reduced touches behind a deteriorating OL is still major cause for concern.

I'd still rank him as the #3 RB, though I'd be awfully nervous if I had to draft him in that spot.

Many many discussions on this very topic with a couple friends here at work. One contends LJ can't catch worth a lick, and the other is in my corner. LJ doesn't have the best hands but I'd say if thrown to him leading him upfield or throwing it chest level he'll catch most of them. Trent Green always always always throws the ball at the RB's feet. Now I don't know if some of that was LJ's fault not running the play as designed, but most times it looked like to me Green just couldn't make that play......and a few times you could see LJ get really frustrated. I even remember on one occassion last season him kicking the ball after it was short hopped to him. Throwing him the ball outside is exactly what the offense needs to do to open more holes inside and also to spread the defense and LB's out into coverage formations. Once LJ gets up field he's extremely hard to bring down.

Sure hope this is true and not more BS from Herm :D

But didn't Herm also say that they planned on reducing his number of rushes (i.e getting Bennett) more involved?

In PPR, this "increased role in the passing game" is good news. However, his reduced touches behind a deteriorating OL is still major cause for concern.

I'd still rank him as the #3 RB, though I'd be awfully nervous if I had to draft him in that spot.

the less he bangs into the DL with that OL falling apart...the better...

if you get him the ball into the 2nd level of the defense, it's over...

Many many discussions on this very topic with a couple friends here at work. One contends LJ can't catch worth a lick, and the other is in my corner. LJ doesn't have the best hands but I'd say if thrown to him leading him upfield or throwing it chest level he'll catch most of them. Trent Green always always always throws the ball at the RB's feet. Now I don't know if some of that was LJ's fault not running the play as designed, but most times it looked like to me Green just couldn't make that play......and a few times you could see LJ get really frustrated. I even remember on one occassion last season him kicking the ball after it was short hopped to him. Throwing him the ball outside is exactly what the offense needs to do to open more holes inside and also to spread the defense and LB's out into coverage formations. Once LJ gets up field he's extremely hard to bring down.

Sure hope this is true and not more BS from Herm :D

My question is, will TRENT GREEN even be the QB there this year???

RB L. Johnson To See Increased Role

Jason King, Kansas City Star -

Kansas City Chiefs HC Herm Edwards expressed on Wednesday his intentions to get running back Larry Johnson more touches, not as a tailback - but as a receiver. "That's the next step in his development as a running back in this league: His ability to come out of the backfield running routes," Edwards said. "We need to get the ball to our backs a little more than we did last year."

I think I heard this same story about McGahee last year. Did they throw the ball to him at all? Nope. Different teams, sure, but bottom line, Ill believe it when they do it.

...so, he gets 1.5 extra passes tossed his way / game (24 for the season)...

Whomever the QB is has a 60% completion percentage ... equals about 15 extra catches for LJ.

He gets 22 carries / game ... 350 for the season ... or nearly 65 fewer than last year.

15 extra catches @ 10YPC = 150 yards extra receiving

65 fewer rushes @ 4.5YPC = 300 yards fewer rushing

So, even if it IS true, in fantasy terms, there's not much to see here (even in PPR leagues)...

Edited by muck

Whomever the QB is has a 60% completion percentage ... equals about 15 extra catches for LJ.

He gets 22 carries / game ... 350 for the season ... or nearly 65 fewer than last year.

So, even if it IS true, in fantasy terms, there's not much to see here (even in PPR leagues)...

You're forgetting the 10 extra receiving TDs in your analysis. :D

it all depends on the scoring...this is the receiving scoring for RB's in my local..

2 pts per 10 rec yds, 1 ppr, 10 bonus pts @ 100 rec yds and the rec TD's are between 9-12 pts...

the scoring favors players who perform well 'out-of-position' ....and if LJ is more involved in the passing game, it's definately worth it...

of course, few leagues have these scoring rules.... :D

My question is, will TRENT GREEN even be the QB there this year???

Well no, but that wasn't my point, my point was that LJ is acutally a better receiver that he gets credit for.