[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is the wierdest yet enjoyable movie you ever saw?

DMD

I forgot to mention one of my all time favorites -

'Point Blank' with Lee Marvin and Angie Dickinson... F'ing bizarre but great!

Takashi Miike has mad some pretty crazy films but 'Happiness of the Katikuras' is one of the strangest movies I've seen. It is a part Sci/Fi, part Horror and all Musical.

I'll toss a few more out:

Rashomon by Kurusowa

The original 'Wicker Man' from 1973

Lost Highway by Lynch (but I pretty much have enjoyed everything the man has directed)

Suspiria by Dario Argento

Cemetery Man with Rupert Everett - extremely underrated film.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One I saw years and years ago on late night TV was Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things. Although I'd probably laugh at it now. No really good horror flicks anymore IMO.

How bout this one(another really old flick) West World . Yul Brynner's eyes were freeky in that movie

One I saw years and years ago on late night TV was Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things. Although I'd probably laugh at it now. No really good horror flicks anymore IMO.

I disagree - check out Slither; or The Host; or Feast; or Shaun of the Dead. I also liked The Descent and Wolf Creek, but not everyone else did.

No really good horror flicks anymore IMO.

I agree with this to a point... The Asian film industry has mad some pretty good horror movies recently IMO. Also, I am digging what Rob Zombie has been doing and George A. Romero's Land Of The Dead was actually a pretty good film. But, on a whole hollywood horror movies are just massed produced... They really don't have to be good to make money,, unfortunately.

Good call on Westworld...

Sidenote: Has anyone seen 'The Proposition' with Guy Pearce?

Edited by Flypaste

I disagree - check out Slither; or The Host; or Feast; or Shaun of the Dead. I also liked The Descent and Wolf Creek, but not everyone else did.

Maybe it's just me. Nothing really scares me, although I thought the beginning of 28 Days Later was pretty creepy. And the very beginning of The Ring actually scared the hell out of me, then it got stupid. Anything with the devil or dead people in it will usually do the trick for me. Night Of The Living Dead gave me nightmares as a kid. The original Omen scared the hell out of me too. Wasn't Shaun of the Dead a spoof?

Maybe it's just me. Nothing really scares me

I'm with you there. I've gotten to the point where I'm not so much scared as I am unsettled... I don't know if any of you caught 'The Masters of Horror' series on Showtime but there is a short film called Jenifer by Argento(I think) where I actually gagged due to of some of the imagery...

Edited by Flypaste

Wasn't Shaun of the Dead a spoof?

It had its tongue firmly planted in its cheek in many ways, but the scares are legit.

I guess I'd compare it to Evil Dead 2, where it manages to be funny and scary at the same time. I'd say it was more of an homage to Romero than a spoof of him. The best way to put it is my friends and I love Star Wars OT or LOTR, but when we watch them together, we'll sit there and point out plot holes and riff on crazy scenarios ("So, do you think Gandalf wears underwear?"/"Hey, how come Chewie doesn't get a damn medal? He did as much as Han!")...it has that kind of feel to it.

Maybe it's just me. Nothing really scares me, although I thought the beginning of 28 Days Later was pretty creepy. And the very beginning of The Ring actually scared the hell out of me, then it got stupid. Anything with the devil or dead people in it will usually do the trick for me. Night Of The Living Dead gave me nightmares as a kid. The original Omen scared the hell out of me too. Wasn't Shaun of the Dead a spoof?

I agree. It seems all the horror films use gore now instead of suspense. Have you ever watched The Exorcist again? I haven’t and won’t, but I have seen Exorcist III (George C. Scott… great movie) a couple of times. Phantasm was another scary movie that one could consider weird. The floating ball with the screwdriver attachment was different if nothing else… especially for its time. What was the name of the movie where the house was possessed by some old man who killed children? The one where the lion’s head cuts the guys head off in the fireplace? You know… rooms that changed into his face… had some hot chicks in it…? :D

It had its tongue firmly planted in its cheek in many ways, but the scares are legit.

I guess I'd compare it to Evil Dead 2, where it manages to be funny and scary at the same time. I'd say it was more of an homage to Romero than a spoof of him. The best way to put it is my friends and I love Star Wars OT or LOTR, but when we watch them together, we'll sit there and point out plot holes and riff on crazy scenarios ("So, do you think Gandalf wears underwear?"/"Hey, how come Chewie doesn't get a damn medal? He did as much as Han!")...it has that kind of feel to it.

Evil Dead II is a great movie. It's best to watch the series backwards. Start with Army of Darkness, then Evil Dead II, and then Evil Dead I. Evil Dead I is a cult classic, and one that should be considered weird. There are so many shots in that movie that show the lights it's comical.. .and don't forget the pencil stabbed into the rubber foot. Shoestring budget, it was Sam Raimi's first film.

seeing 2 men ride around on a motorcycle nekkid is weird to me yet I really enjoyed the movie :D

I thought it was just one guy.

And that was supposedly comical.

I agree. It seems all the horror films use gore now instead of suspense.

Actually, I consider Conspiracy with Kenneth Branagh and Stanley Tucci to be one of the best horror movies since '00.

Did you watch both the release version and the director's cut? Different endings, and there were aspects of both that were intriguing.

Nope. How were the endings different?

How bout this one(another really old flick) West World . Yul Brynner's eyes were freeky in that movie

Westworld , wow , that was a while back. :D Woody Allen's Sleeper also comes to mind.

I thought it was pretty straightforward comedy, not so much to do with zombies but the aimlessness of going down the pub. Very good movie, lots of laughs.