[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is the wierdest yet enjoyable movie you ever saw?

DMD

I think some of you live pretty boring lives or don't watch many movies.

Anything by David Lynch will be classified as weird by any person capable of functioning in normal society.

Brazil is weird in a British sort of way.

Delicatessen is weird in a French sort of way but I think the French are genetically weird.

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover is a heavy, weird, assault on the senses.

All are movies I've watched multiple times.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia

The Thief, The Cook, His Wife & Her Lover,

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Harold and Maude

Blue Velvet

Rashomon by Kurusowa

+1 on all these. in addition...

even dwarves started small - don't see anyone else giving werner herzog any love at all

don't look now - by nicolas roeg

straw dogs - also by peckinpah

amarcord - fellini

delicatessen - marc caro

the death of mr. lazarescu

things to do in denver when you're dead

battle royale

Edited by Azazello1313

I don't understand the fascination with Blade Runner. I guess for it's time it had great special effects. But I think it moved way too slow and was pretty boring until the last 30 minutes or so.

:D

Many good films already mentioned. In addition:

- Chopper (early Eric Bana. Great Australian vigilante flick).

- South Park: the Movie (surprised it wasn't mentioned already)

- Sword of Doom (really weird 1966 black and white Japanesse samurai movie)

- Oldboy (Koren suspense/revenge flick)

- The Experiment (German psychological thriller)

- Event Horizon (Sam Neill does a great job in this off-beat macabre sci-fi)

- The Salton Sea (didn't expect to like a moive about a meth addict)

- Lord of Illusions (my favorite film with Scott Bakula in it)

Edited by yo mama

Good call on Herzog Az... It seems like every time he and Klaus Kinski worked together it was both weird and enjoyable.

There are some pretty funny bits in the documentary 'My Best Friend Klaus' that Herzog did a few years back. The Documentary 'Grizzly Man' is strange and beautiful as well... I enjoy Herzog's approach to the documentary, he is very much a part of it. Interjecting himself into and not just documenting said subject matter.

I also really enjoyed 'Battle Royale', Takashi Kitano is a heck of an actor....

A couple more movies I thought of today:

Two Documentaries both by the Maysles brothers: 'Grey Gardens' and 'Salesman' are both worth watching.

'The Hour of the Wolf' with Max Von Sydow directed by Ingmar Bergman

And two Lars Von Trier films (though all of them fall into the weird category I just have not enjoyed them all...) 'Europa' and 'The Element of Crime' are both very good IMO.

- Chopper (early Eric Bana. Great Australian vigilante flick).

- Event Horizon (Sam Neill does a great job in this off-beat macabre sci-fi)

- Lord of Illusions (my favorite film with Scott Bakula in it)

+1

- Oldboy (Koren suspense/revenge flick)

There is something about this film that I absolutely despise, I just can't put my finger on it...

Mulholland Drive.

crazy flick right here...

don't forget requim for a Dream which may have already been mentioned and Pi...along with Taxi Driver....and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest...

all of these may have been mentioned but I didn't see them after scanning 4 pages

The Wall

Actually got to see it in the theatres a few years back. Girl got literally carried out of the theatre. I don't think she realized that watching the movie while tripping would be a bad thing.

+1

There is something about this film that I absolutely despise, I just can't put my finger on it...

oldboy kicks ass. i think sympathy for mister vengence is actually a little more weird. City of lost children is out there as well and visually pretty cool. man bites dog i thought was just f'd up.

oldboy kicks ass. i think sympathy for mister vengence is actually a little more weird. City of lost children is out there as well and visually pretty cool. man bites dog i thought was just f'd up.

How awsome was it when they suspended that guy with hooks through the skin in his back, the poured scalding water all over him?

Probably not universally well-liked, but 'The Cell' was certainly weird. I thought J-lo and Vince Vaughn put is some pretty good "serious" acting in this "Alice in Wonderland" meets "Silence of the Lambs" movie.

Edited by yo mama

What is weird is that I actually dug 'Sympathy for mister vengeance' and I wanted to like 'Oldboy' I just don't, not saying it's a bad film it just didn't appeal to me for some reason... There is a third film in this directors vengeance trilogy... Did you see that one?

City of lost children is a pretty amazing movie. Imagery is spot on...