[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

PD's Pre-TC Panther FF Report

PantherDave

Well, as of now the QB and RB's are buried in the tiers of most the other reports-and rightfully so after the major egg laid last year. Yes, they had injuries, but alot of poor play calling combined with poor execution took place as well. So, here is one homer's view that it's not quite as bad as it would appear.

We will start at the obvious:

Steve Smith-Stud, top tier WR, NFL elite...nuff said.

Jake Delhomme-I beleive Jake was made scape-goat #2.....by himself. I respect the way he said what we were all thinking-I stunk at times. However, Jake, like the Cat's, tends to be an everyother year kinda guy(team). The fact that Jake will have the TE as an added option will help as well, but I beleive he will have a very nice season this year. He will also have increased points via more screens(see Tom Brady) outta the back-feild. Jake will produce and I'd say round 6 will be his slot this draft season.

David Carr-Most will try to HC him to Jake. Round ??-DH perhaps??

DeAngelo Williams-This may be the year he shows the wares, but he will split time with Foster. Williams is the more versatile/usable RB of the two and this O will have ZB and screens in which he thrived in at Memphis. I'd plug both Foster and Williams in as #2's and DW should be round 4-maybe an early 3rd here and there.

DeShaun Foster- :D I have stuck up for him and he is in my opinion the #2 RB on the Panthers. Now, in having said that....ever watch how Foster likes to run. He very well could excell in the ZB scheme, as he likes to shift alittle even on plays off tackle...more pick the hole than just hit it. The ZB will allow him to pick his holes and he could be excellent. Say what you will, put if you give Foster a crack of daylight..he's gone. Foster will most likely reside in round 5 maybe round 6 if TE's get a run , however, some owners will snag him after DW to prevent the hand-cuff most likely.

DWayne Jarret-One of this years true DH, this kid could end up a solid #3 or even dare I say a #2. The constant is that he will get the chance. I'd say he starts getting pulled off the board no sooner than round 6.

Drew Carter-Greasy Fast Speed, you'll get your 3-4 bombs per season and about 2-3 redzone grabs 700-800 yds. -He'll move around round 7-8.

Keary Colbert-Fighting to be the #4-no FF factor and future trade bait or cut.

TE-Eventually it will be Rosario the #1 next year, but the TE will actually be a draftable FF position this season on the Panthers. This is boiling down to be a TC/PS battle between Michael Gaines and Jeff King. I'd say round ten at the earliest and perhaps as FA since the starter may not be clear around most draft's.

IDP's- Peppers, Beason, Davis, Lucas, Marshall

Edited by PantherDave

I mostly agree with your view of the Panthers team and their impact in the FF world. There are 4 draftable players on this team- Delhomme (Top 20-ish), Williams (maybe Top 20), Foster (about Top 40) and S. Smith (Top 3, could be #1 overall). Sure there will be others drafted but not by me and honestly I really don't want either RB and would rather have many other QBs over Delhomme as his numbers have been sliding for years. Honestly, the only player I'd really want on this team is Steve "Stud" Smith. Jarrett will probably be good for about 500 yds and 4-5 TDs, so maybe you'd swipe him in the very late rounds. The rest of the guys you can keep, oh and there is "NOT" a draftable TE on this team. On average of 10-12 team leagues there would be an about 18-24 TEs that will come off the board and neither of the Panther TEs are worthy of drafting in that range yet. Kasay is not a great option at kicker, Top 20 but not a starter, more like bye week material. Then again a kicker's a kicker. The defense as a whole should be Top 10 and very well could be Top 5 but who knows as that changes from year to year.

By the way, I'm not an IDP guy so I'm not even consider those guys.

Edited by irish

I agree that Delhomme did not magically become a flop in one year - he was the scapegoat. The entire team went through a very off season in addition to all the injuries. I think Delhomme rebounds.

As for Foster, my opinion has never changed about him. He is a fragile slug and not the quality of a starting RB in the NFL. I have never, ever, understood why they pretend he ever was. I find it "befuddling". I have not and would not ever touch Foster in a draft.

And if you want Jarrett in the sixth I would be shocked if he wasn't there every time. My first draft did not have him taken in the first 14 rounds. A rookie WR at best behind a stud WR and likely Drew Carter. I would suspect he will be undrafted in most leagues unless he really shows up in training camp.

I agree that Delhomme did not magically become a flop in one year - he was the scapegoat. The entire team went through a very off season in addition to all the injuries. I think Delhomme rebounds.

Just out of curiousity what makes you think he'll rebound? These are his last three years and it looks as though he's on the decline. I'm even thinking Carr gets a shot.

2004 Carolina Panthers 533 310 58.2 3886 7.29 29 15

2005 Carolina Panthers 435 262 60.2 3421 7.86 24 16

2006 Carolina Panthers 431 263 61.0 2805 6.51 17 11

Delhomme's QB rating for his four seasons in CAR was 80.6, 87.3, 88.1 and 82.6. His 2006 numbers were down - he missed three games. His pace of 2006 would have ended with 3452 yards or his second best season had he played those three games he missed.

2003 to 2006

His average yards per start for the last four years - 214, 242, 214, 216.

His "passes per interception" - 28, 36, 27, 39.

His completion percentage was 61% last year - highest of his career.

His only true downfall last year was only throwing for 17 TDs (though 16 game adjusted it would have been 21 TDs.

Steve Smith was out for the first two weeks and Delhomme had no TDs those weeks and only about 185 yards in each game.

Delhomme really wasn't all that different in 2006 - adjusted per game - than he ever was.

And his worst season is better than the best that Carr ever had obtw. Throwing Carr in there is like throwing the season in the crapper. The Panthers just need to establish a running game to alleviate the pressure and coverage on pass plays. I've never liked Delhomme as a fantasy starter but I think he is an outstanding back-up QB for a fantasy team. Carr's time has passed without him ever taking the next step up in five years of playing. And he had a WR probably about as talented as Smith (A. Johnson). And he had a better RB when he had a healthy Domanick Davis.

I just don't understand why people think that Carr should play over Delhomme when the stats say that is just not the case and the intangibles all favor Delhomme since Carr was run out of HOU once Kubiak finally realized that he has no leadership skills and questionable decision making ability.

I don't see Jake turning into a top five QB ever but he's absolutely above average among all NFL QBs. Carr is, has been and always will be below average.

I like the Panthers this year, there schedule is favorable, and if there able to run the ball I believe Jake could surprise this year and the Panthers may contend for the NFC like they were supose to last year.

Getting more red zone opportunities and capitalizing on them is paramount for Panthers....cannot rely on Smith to score everytime....more production from RB's and other WR 2 or 3 (Carter or Jarrett) will be key....look for defense to keep them in games....Jake to take care of the ball and more TD's from someone other than Smith may see the Cats reach a wild card position...not sure they won't choke though.....JMO.. :D