[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mock 2 signups open

DMD

We've busted Gee and Goopster's chops a little bit. Might as well bust Scourge's while we wait. Great job buddy, holding up the mock draft. :D:D

Edited by irish

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're up Scourge. That was a solid but tough pick for me taking Betts.

sorry for that 2-hour wait at night, checked in about 10-minutes prior to it making it to me.

No biggie, Scourge, you're up.

That's an interesting comment. Care to expound a bit?

Eli has shown a tendency to press and not perform well under pressure. Now they will be without Tiki. Shockey is clearly very talented, but not exactly a calming presence. IMO, that could lead to a situation where Shockey's production is significantly less than would be expected based on his talent.

Eli has shown a tendency to press and not perform well under pressure.

It never fails to amaze me when people formulate such strong opinions on QBs so early in their careers. There were a lot of people who were convinced Brees would be nothing more than a mediocre pro QB after his first 3 years (including SD, who obtained Rivers with a 1st rounder in a fun draft day flurry), and Brees has a worse start in his first 3 years than E Manning has had.

While I don't see E Manning ever measuring up to his older brother, I still see a very capable pro QB there who is still in his learnig curve as a QB. If he's still capable of even marginal improvement, we're looking at a potential perennial 3800/28/14 QB.

I would hardly call the statement "....shown a tendency to press and not perform well under pressure" such a strong opinion.

I would call "wheels coming off the cart" because of what you explained as Manning's lack of ability to perform as a strong statement.

No?

I would call "wheels coming off the cart" because of what you explained as Manning's lack of ability to perform as a strong statement.

No?

Not to but in, but I'd imagine that he thinks 50% of the problem will be Tiki being gone and the other 50% being Mannings lack of ability. I kind of see what he's saying about him and I see it too, but I also think he's still young and can become better. The one thing I dont like about him that Peyton does well is he doesn't shrug off the bad moments, it seems things stay with him and he gets frustrated.

It never fails to amaze me when people formulate such strong opinions on QBs so early in their careers. There were a lot of people who were convinced Brees would be nothing more than a mediocre pro QB after his first 3 years (including SD, who obtained Rivers with a 1st rounder in a fun draft day flurry), and Brees has a worse start in his first 3 years than E Manning has had.

This is a really good point. Brees went from Ryan Leaf to a stud QB in the matter of year.

Unless Fred Taylor is on crutches already and I haven't heard about it, I just absolutely stole him late in the 10th round with almost the 100th overall pick. He should definitely be going about 2-3 rounds earlier.

No?

No....what I said was that with Tiki leadership gone, Manning's performance to date and Shockey's personality, that the potential for implossion is greater in New York than else where. The point I was making was that for me, I will value Shockey less this year than I would if he was in another situation.

Unless Fred Taylor is on crutches already and I haven't heard about it, I just absolutely stole him late in the 10th round with almost the 100th overall pick. He should definitely be going about 2-3 rounds earlier.

Then why didn't you take him rather than Betts? :D but you are correct that is a nice value pick.

No....what I said was that with Tiki leadership gone, Manning's performance to date and Shockey's personality, that the potential for implossion is greater in New York than else where. The point I was making was that for me, I will value Shockey less this year than I would if he was in another situation.

Okay, fair enough.

I do think the O's personality will change. I'm not sure if it will cause a drop in production, though. In fact, playing a power RB as big as Jacobs most of the time may actually enhance the O. Ds may have a tough time deciding whether to go big to stop Jacobs or go fast to stop Burress/Toomer/Shockey/Smith. Not many Ds can do both simultaneously.

Although I would tend to agree with the whole melt down thing in NY, especially with the type of coach they have constantly applying all the pressure, if (and that's a big IF) Shockey can stay healthy I think he has a really solid year as he will most certainly be picking up some of the slack left from Barber's departure.

Although I also have fears (really hopes as I'm a Dallas fan), that with their OT position not really sured up that Shockey might also be asked to pass protect more and have more blocking responsibilities given to him.

I think you have to also consider the scheme and coaching whenever you evaluate quarterbacks. In JAX, over his eight years there Coughlin never had more than 20 passing TDs in a season (Brunell). Manning's first year as a full-time starter produced 3762 yards and 24 TDs and his second season had 3244 yards and 24 TDs. He's already had two years that were better than any that Brunell had in 8 seasons. The knee-slapper in all this to me is that he could have gone to San Diego but "Father Knows Best".

Okay, fair enough.

I do think the O's personality will change. I'm not sure if it will cause a drop in production, though. In fact, playing a power RB as big as Jacobs most of the time may actually enhance the O. Ds may have a tough time deciding whether to go big to stop Jacobs or go fast to stop Burress/Toomer/Shockey/Smith. Not many Ds can do both simultaneously.

I think they'd go fast and make Jacobs prove to them that he can do it full time, won't wear down and begin running to high where teams can then have at him.