[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

8th grade "graduation?"

untateve

Yesterday, my wife asked me how much we should send our nephew for his graduation and I asked, "Graduation from what?"

She replied, "8th grade."

My response, "Huh?"

I told her I'd never heard of "8th grade graduation." She told me that going to high school was a big deal and I said "sure" but "graduating" from 8th grade is not a big deal. I explained I never received anything, no one I knew ever had a celebration or received a gift--again, it was no big deal.

She talked about the gifts she received and how her school held a banquet for the 8th grade class, etc. I told her that was because no one expected her to make it to high school and then she called me an unflattering name.

Is 8th grade graduation a northern thing (she's from CT and I'm a florida boy)? Am I missing something? Help me understand.

I had one in 1988 (from a Catholic school). There was a religious ceremony and a dance, don't remember if I got presents.

My step son just 'graduated' from a public school and the school had a huge party for the 8th graders only. No family thing, though.

I had an 8th grade graduation ceremony. But I thought it was stupid and pointless, and don't recall getting much in the way of presents.

Just get the kid a card a slip a few bucks in. That's the best present an extended relative can give any normal 8th grader, anyway... unless you want to get the nephew a hooker.

Be a part of the solution, not the problem... no way in heck would I enable that kind of behavior... you might as well throw a party after graduating from EVERY grade in school. If you have to send something, then I suggest a cheap Halmark card with fast-food job postings from the kid's local newspaper inside.

I had an 8th grade graduation ceremony. But I thought it was stupid and pointless, and don't recall getting much in the way of presents.

Just get the kid a card a slip a few bucks in. That's the best present an extended relative can give any normal 8th grader, anyway... unless you want to get the nephew a hooker.

But my buddy had a bitchen graduation pool party. Girls broke out the bikinis for the first times. Small chub.

Same here, we filled up a 2-liter with beer and proceeded to get drunk. There were 8 of us pulling off of that 2 liter. How's that for a tolerance? :D

We didn't have a graduation ceremony.

But my buddy had a bitchen graduation pool party. Girls broke out the bikinis for the first times. Small chub.

given some of your other posts regarding adolescent females, please assure me that your "buddy" didn't just graduate from 8th grade this year.

We didn't have a graduation ceremony.

chrishansen: would you mind sitting down over here, Mr Chumura? :chrishansen

We had a ceremony. I recall "Up Where We Belong" was our song. It was lame, of course. Mind you, I really didn't see much of a big deal about HS graduation either. Everyone was acting like it was some kind of achievement. What? We managed to get up and make it to school most days until we figured out how to get away with not going at all? They make it essentially impossible to fail 'cause they don't want your lame ass around any longer than they have to.

We've got 6th grade recognition night tomorrow night. I get to sit in a hot gym at night to recognize the students moving to seventh grade.

Billy Madison had a party after each year in school:

"Billy passed the first grade, Oh what a wonderful day, Oh passing first grade the Billy Madison way!"

My daughter had her kindergarten graduation on Saturday...Imagine that? We even had to buy a cap and gown. Pretty ridiculous.

They put on a cute show with songs and some of the things they learned over the course of the year but by no means needed to call it graduation.

We took her to breakfast afterwards but didn't buy any presents. My folks gave her $5. What is wrong with the world today?

I remember my Jr. High having something for 8th grade graduation. It was pretty lame. I don't even see the point in celebrating high school graduation anymore, especially since many high schools these days will graduate people with 3rd-grade reading levels.