[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

8th grade "graduation?"

untateve

Hell, the only reason I went to my college graduation was because the chick I was doing at the time begged me to since she was going to be in the ceremony.

Kids graduate from pre-school, kindergarten, 8th grade, high school, blah, blah, blah...pretty soon our little ones are gonna need a high five for just about anything they do outside of eatin'/sleepin'/crapin'.

:D

Edited by I Like Soup

Yeah, we had a graduation. We all went to a different school since it was only K-8, so it was important in that we had a couple parties and a ceremony. In the end it was just a "wow, we'll never see each other again, so lets make out and squeeze naughty parts for a while" good time. :D

Can't believe how some parents make a mountain out of a mole hill regarding their child's "accomplishments". The school I work at just had 8th graduation. One parent spent over $300 on their daughter's dress and her party cost them around $2500.( Are they celebrating now, knowing she'll not graduate HS?) So when HS and college grad comes around for her what kind of party will they have to throw to outdo the previous school grad party?? Absurd :D About like those MTV's Sweet 16 parties.

EDIT to add: Limo Rides

Edited by boat_hacked

Celebrating a child's accomplishment regardless of what it may be provided is a positive thing , is good ...got no problems with it

And if its kindergarten or high school , the thing that matters is that its celebrated at the moment ...one day when the child is grown up it is a memory a parent can still keep and have as well as teach the grown up child how to celebrate their children's accomplishment

Celebrating a child's accomplishment regardless of what it may be provided is a positive thing , is good ...got no problems with it

And if its kindergarten or high school , the thing that matters is that its celebrated at the moment ...one day when the child is grown up it is a memory a parent can still keep and have as well as teach the grown up child how to celebrate their children's accomplishment

I suppose that depends on how much "celebration" is involved. If they get a diploma and a pat on the back for something they're SUPPOSED to do, that's fine. Hell, even taking the kid out for dinner would be acceptable. But having a huge party and giving the kid presents for a freaking Jr. High graduation? No way.

Get him a card as he has not accomplished anything yet.

Oh yeah and Jr. High goes through 9th grade I believe and Middle Schools are the ones that graduate to HS after the 8th grade, right?

When I graduated Jr. High all my HS buddies could not wait for the hazing to start, until hell week started and I was the only one of two sophs to make our team

I often give my daughter a high five after a nice dump just to let her know she did good!!

Well, that is acceptable protocol if she is being potty trained. :D Then again, if we didn't teach kids to crap in their diapers to begin with we'd be on to something...:D

Yesterday, my wife asked me how much we should send our nephew for his graduation and I asked, "Graduation from what?"

She replied, "8th grade."

My response, "Huh?"

I told her I'd never heard of "8th grade graduation." She told me that going to high school was a big deal and I said "sure" but "graduating" from 8th grade is not a big deal. I explained I never received anything, no one I knew ever had a celebration or received a gift--again, it was no big deal.

She talked about the gifts she received and how her school held a banquet for the 8th grade class, etc. I told her that was because no one expected her to make it to high school and then she called me an unflattering name.

Is 8th grade graduation a northern thing (she's from CT and I'm a florida boy)? Am I missing something? Help me understand.

Once again the only thing you're "missing" is accepting your accurate assessment of the weirdness of our society today. Not a Northern thing; it's a modern thing.

You think that's bad - I know someone who is going to their kids' Kindergarten graduation ceremony tomorrow. :D

I suppose that depends on how much "celebration" is involved. If they get a diploma and a pat on the back for something they're SUPPOSED to do, that's fine. Hell, even taking the kid out for dinner would be acceptable. But having a huge party and giving the kid presents for a freaking Jr. High graduation? No way.

I agree bill

You think that's bad - I know someone who is going to their kids' Kindergarten graduation ceremony tomorrow. :D

I see nothing wrong with this at all ...have been to 3 of my children's kindergarten graduations...we had no party afterwards and no big fanfare but a simple ceremony done by the school and a chance to enforce positive feelings or atmosphere is totally acceptable imho ...especially for children that age ....they will have to deal with more than enough negative crap when they get older ...let them have a nice moment and to understand the importance of graduation even at that young age