[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Best: Defensive Player

URLACHERisGOD

My argument with you has nothing to do with the best overall player, this is comparing Ray Ray to Urlacher, which really I proved there is no comparison. You thinking Urlacher should even be in the same sentence as Ray Ray career wise, is a joke, and blind homerism. My point is I dont think Ray Ray has slipped, but nagging injuries are the reason he has missed games last yr. If not for those missed games, at his advanced age, he was every bit comparable to Urlacher in what was Urlachers 2nd best yr ever, to 2002. So it wouldnt surprise me a bit for urlacher to regress from last yr, and Ray Ray to have another typical year, that is better than Urlacher.

When did I ever say that? I said that I think right now IMO he is a better defender. It's a close call but I give the vote to Urlacher because he can do more, coverage wise especially. If you polled coaches in the NFL, offensive and defensive, I guarantee you Urlacher would be the one that most would say when it comes to who is a better better man-to-man and pure coverage defender between him and Lewis. Urlacher is faster and more athletic, and lines up time and time against the other team's offensive weapons, which Lewis doesn't.The interception numbers aren't that different, except the one year Lewis had six. Ray had one less pass defended than Urlacher? Maybe that was for the simple fact that quarterbacks didn't throw to where Urlacher was covering.

Career wise? Of course Ray's career is more impressive. He is a first ballot HOFer. Urlacher has a lot of damage left to do in this league and entering his prime I would argue.

And please don't call me a blind homer because I am far from it. Thanks.

BTW, Id also put Peppers ahead of Urlacher, so we agree there. Though I put Ray Lewis ahead of Peppers.

I put Peppers ahead of Urlacher for the sole reason that I personally believe defensive end is the most important defensive position.

Also, since you love numbers so much, here is something else to chew on: You love to hate assisted tackles, yet the numbers in assists over their careers are remarkably similar. Ray Lewis has a slightly higher amount of assisted tackles per game (1.9) in his career than Urlacher (1.8). Counting seasons in which both players played more than 14 games, Urlacher has a slighter higher assists per season average, about 30 to 29.1.

Then it comes to solo tackles. Ray Lewis beats Urlacher by a little more than a tackle, 7.5 to 6.2 (that's per game in their careers).

Urlacher has played in 43 less games mind you, so lots of time left to cement his case for a possible spot in history.

I think you are over-blowing the idea of an assisted tackle. It's not like he just "jumps on piles." And last year was the the year with the most assists for Urlacher. The year before he still played with Briggs and he did perfectly fine. He has always had great talent around him for the most part, just like Lewis. Butkus averaged about 1.4 assists a game in his career, so it's not like that is a bad stat to have.

Edited by Goopster24

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because my team that has a player that is considered in the argument for best defensive player in the league doesn't mean I can't look at the argument objectivly. And I believe I said Julius Peppers is the best, so your "point" that I am a homer in this argument just got thrown out the window. :D

Goop got ya....reading is a wonderful thing.

completely agree assists are a nice stat, but watch the games. Urlacher just jumps on the pile. Ray Ray is usually hitting the player at the same time as one of the others on the Ravens defense. That monday night game vs the Cards, Urlacher was credited with stats he didnt deserve. It was sickening to see him jump on the pile once the play was stopped and get an assist, or worse get the tackle on one occasion where even an assist wasnt warranted. I had Urlacher in that game, and loved every minute of it, but you have to wonder how often is Urlachers stats really blown out of proportion. The Great White Hype I call him had 11 solo and 8 assists, with 19 total tackles, in that game. Get Real.... Was really more like 9 solo and 4 assists. But the phantom tackles and jump on the pile stats in that game were amusing to someone who knows what an actual solo tackle and assist is. Until Wednessday that week, the deadline to change stats in my league, I was holding my breath thinking surely those stats would be corrected, and my win may be in question. Needless to say I was thrilled I was given those gifts.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan