[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Buy Dockers, get a free flight

loaf

Details

basically, spend $125 at Penney's this week on men's dockers and get a round trip ticket to one of the destination cities. And you have until 7/31/08 to use the ticket. Seems like a good deal.

How about this scam? Buy all the Dockers stuff you want from your local JC Penney and send in the receipt to redeem your free flight. Before sending the original, make a photocopy of the receipt. Return anything you don't want to the store and get your money back!!

About the only thing that might trip you up is the photocopied receipt. Worst case scenario, they give you store credit. Plenty of stuff in that store to buy.

"Complete the Booking Form, including your selection of departure city and three different destination and date preferences, and return it to TLC Marketing at the address provided with the Booking Form. Photocopies and reproductions not accepted."

Does this part worry any of you?

"Complete the Booking Form, including your selection of departure city and three different destination and date preferences, and return it to TLC Marketing at the address provided with the Booking Form. Photocopies and reproductions not accepted."

Didn't see that, but I have several places I'd like to visit in the next few months...

Beggers can't be choosers.

Well, yes actually.

By the way, a buddy of mine said he got roped into a promotion like this once, and it's run by a pretty slick marketing company that will get your information and make your life a junk mail and cold call Hell. Buyer beware.

...the math...

$125 of sales = $60 of gross profit = (approx.) $10 of net profit

Cost of flight (on average), with the "you fly where we tell you when we tell you based on whatever is cheapest for us" = $75-100

Value of your name with all of your pertinent information (SSN, address, email addres, phone, etc) = $0.10 - $0.20 (depending on what information is sold) ... sell your name 1,000 times = $100-200 in revenue

...net math for the company...

$10 of profit on the pants + $100-200 of profit on selling your information - $75-100 cost of airfare = $10-135 of net profit

...net math for you...

You get $125 of clothes, an airline ticket to a city you may want to go to at a time that may be convenient and a bunch of phone calls, emails and junk snail-mail for month/years to come.

Personally, I'd rather just buy the pants and the airline ticket I want, and spend $50 extra for the plane ticket so as to insure the ongoing pleasure of staying off of a marketing list.

...the math...

$125 of sales = $60 of gross profit = (approx.) $10 of net profit

Cost of flight (on average), with the "you fly where we tell you when we tell you based on whatever is cheapest for us" = $75-100

Value of your name with all of your pertinent information (SSN, address, email addres, phone, etc) = $0.10 - $0.20 (depending on what information is sold) ... sell your name 1,000 times = $100-200 in revenue

...net math for the company...

$10 of profit on the pants + $100-200 of profit on selling your information - $75-100 cost of airfare = $10-135 of net profit

...net math for you...

You get $125 of clothes, an airline ticket to a city you may want to go to at a time that may be convenient and a bunch of phone calls, emails and junk snail-mail for month/years to come.

Personally, I'd rather just buy the pants and the airline ticket I want, and spend $50 extra for the plane ticket so as to insure the ongoing pleasure of staying off of a marketing list.

Dockers Promotion: $125

Airplane Ticket: Free

Being smart enough to stay off a marketing list: PRICELESS

Airplane Ticket: Free

Being smart enough to stay off a marketing list: PRICELESS

Cost to return items at nearest JC Penneys: $0

Airline ticket: free

Having the brains to sign up for this offer with a bogus phone number and email address: PRICELESS

I have done these many times in the past, and it is literally free money if you are smart. Create a new "hotmail" or "aol" email address (so all the future spam you get will go to it), and give them a made-up phone number. All they really need is your address, so it can match your driver's license at the airport.

All you'll get is some extra junk mail (very little, since companies like this sell your name for telemarketing and spam, not direct mail). More than worth the price of a free ticket.