[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Asante Samuel unhappy

myhousekey

Per ESPN

New England Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel says he won't show up for the team's mandatory minicamp, starting Tuesday. Or training camp this summer. Or the first 10 weeks of regular season games.

Samuel, disgruntled after being assigned the team's "franchise" tag, was a no-show at the Patriots Charitable Foundation golf tournament on Monday at the The International Golf Club in Bolton, Mass. Reached by phone afterwards, he told The Boston Globe he is unhappy with the lack of progress in contract talks with the team.

"I'm not coming to camp," he told the newspaper. "I'm not showing up until the 10th week [of the season]. I feel unappreciated. The way they're treating me is just wrong."

Edited by myhousekey

:D I am being treated in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement that the players union negotiated on my behalf... :D

I don't care if this is a player on my homer team or not, I am sick of players whining about the Franchise Tag. Why is your union agreeing to it of you will not abide by it.

Poor guy will only make 7 million for signing the contract. Must be rough.

:D I am being treated in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement that the players union negotiated on my behalf... :tup:

I don't care if this is a player on my homer team or not, I am sick of players whining about the Franchise Tag. Why is your union agreeing to it of you will not abide by it.

Agreed.....I think he made 700K last year and would be making 7.6 Mill this year....how is that unappreciated again?

Essentially what it comes down to is that he wants a new contract so he'll at least get a decent signing bonus.

Hey Samuel, if we didn't give it to Law or Milloy, why would we to you? I think he could learn a lesson from Moss :D:doh: who took less money and looks like the ultimate team player.

Agreed.....I think he made 700K last year and would be making 7.6 Mill this year....how is that unappreciated again?

Essentially what it comes down to is that he wants a new contract so he'll at least get a decent signing bonus.

Hey Samuel, if we didn't give it to Law or Milloy, why would we to you? I think he could learn a lesson from Moss :D:D who took less money and looks like the ultimate team player.

Until they lose 2 games in a row while Brady throws most of the deep passes to Stallworth.

Maybe he's been hanging out with Antoine Whinefield?

To bad he is not as good as Winfield.the Patriots don't overpay for players usually..but IMO the franchise was way to much to give to Samuel in the 1st place.

Until they lose 2 games in a row while Brady throws most of the deep passes to Stallworth.

I will be suprised to see Stalworth play 2 games without pulling a hammy.

:D I am being treated in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement that the players union negotiated on my behalf... :D

I agree - the NFL needs to fine the players union along with the player.

I honestly never really looked at it that way. Very true though. I have always been against the franchise tag but looking at it this way, it's pretty stupid for these players to be whining.

I honestly never really looked at it that way. Very true though. I have always been against the franchise tag but looking at it this way, it's pretty stupid for these players to be whining.

Every once in a while I say something smaat! Then again, if you had an infinite number of monkies typing for an infinite amount of time, eventually one would type the complete works fo Shakespear...

:D

Samuel is underrated by many...he is a rare shutdown corner in the same way Law was (maybe still is even). Samuel is without a doubt at least in the top 5 at his position in the leauge. Only other guy I can think of in the league who is definitively a "shutdown" corner is Champ Bailey (though there may be one or two other guys whom I'm unaware of...maybe someone like Chris MCallister).

Samuel is worth more than Law simply because of the age factor..milloy on the other hand was never that good to begin with.

He's just being a businessman right now, in the same way that the Pats are trying to be. He can take the 7 mill, play this year and risk career ending injury, or hold-out, take care of himself and get a lot more guaranteed in a long-term contract from another team if the Pats can't do better with their side of the negotiating. I'm sure he's being prodded by his agent too like every other player these days.

I'm not sure the Patriots can afford to let him go the way they did Branch last year. Their secondary has had depth issues recently to begin with, and I don't see them finding another corner like Samuel. They've been really lucky to have 2 top-notch corners in recent years in Law and Samuel.

I hate these whining players. You're good, you've proved it, the Pats say do it again but in teh meantime we're gonna pay you the average salary of the top 5 players at your position in the league. Shut your mouth, make the plays and collect your payday. Even if you get injured, someone will overpay you on reputation alone if the Pats won't.