[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is the best movie you have seen on your HDTV?

Duchess Jack

The transfer and picture on the Fifth Element is quite outstanding. I used to take Rush Hour with me to test systems. Lots of dark to light to dark scene changes where you can see black levels and moire very well. No artifacts here. I think the cinematography in 7 Years in Tibet is quite special. Get the SuperBit version if you can. Others in no particular order:

Alien

Starship Troopers

Titanic

Galaxy Quest

Any Pixar animated film

Lawrence of Arabia

Hero (Jet Li)

Saving Private Ryan

Any of The Matrix series

Terminator 2

Any of the Lord of the Rings

We Were Soldiers

The Patriot

I have near all of these DVDs. Does it matter when they were made? If I bought Gladiator, for example, when it first came out - and Gladiator tomorrow, would there be any difference?

As mentioned above they have some in SuperBit which makes it a little cleaner and this is only if you have a progressive scan DVD player. IMO I wouldnt go buy a new dvd if you already have it in regular version. They also have FS (Full Screen) and WS (Wide Screen). If you have a 16:9 flat panel TV I would def purchase WS from now on.

my DVD player broke around a year and a half ago - I meant to use my xbox/ps2 on a temp basis but never got around to getting a new DVD player.

this one should be on my doorstep today. Its not great (quite cheap actually) but it does have progressive scan and the hdmi hookup

http://www.buy.com/prod/philips-dvp5960-pr.../202786567.html

my DVD player broke around a year and a half ago - I meant to use my xbox/ps2 on a temp basis but never got around to getting a new DVD player.

this one should be on my doorstep today. Its not great (quite cheap actually) but it does have progressive scan and the hdmi hookup

http://www.buy.com/prod/philips-dvp5960-pr.../202786567.html

Nice good for the buck,

recently saw a lot of the star wars episodes in HD. thought those were pretty good.

I watched it in HD as well and it can look even better in a disc format like blu-ray....and since it is on Fox, it would be blu-ray exclusive....

but Lucas won't support a high-def format for another few years....just as he did with DVD... :D

Superbit Desperado if you can get it.

And I'll second the nod for Starship Troopers---the picture is amazing.

watching a superbit movie on an upscaled 1080p DVD player is the closest thing to high-def without actually owning the high-def version....

this is the strongest selling point for a 32" 1080p HDTV......because if you can upscale a superbit to 1080p....you're taking full advantage of the superbit quality..

watching a superbit movie on an upscaled 1080p DVD player is the closest thing to high-def without actually owning the high-def version....

this is the strongest selling point for a 32" 1080p HDTV......because if you can upscale a superbit to 1080p....you're taking full advantage of the superbit quality..

So is there much of a difference then in watching a Blue Ray or HD-DVD disc over watching a superbit dvd on a progressive player? (on a HDTV)

I'm reluctant to spend the money right now on a hi-def DVD player. Reluctant meaning "got no money".

So is there much of a difference then in watching a Blue Ray or HD-DVD disc over watching a superbit dvd on a progressive player? (on a HDTV)

I'm reluctant to spend the money right now on a hi-def DVD player. Reluctant meaning "got no money".

ahaha definately....

you just have to educate yourself on the strengths/weaknesses of either format...

HD-DVD offers 15 GB per layer...and dual layer is sometimes standard (30 GB)....this allows for higher bitrates

Blu-ray on the other hand is 25 GB per layer and they use the dual-layer (50 GB) quite often...even Enter the Dragon uses 50 GB....they have the original movie in it's original quality...along with the newly remastered high def version....

...not to mention what I'd have to assume to be every documentary on Bruce Lee...ever all on one disc...

plus studio support...

Blu-ray has every major stuio except Universal that can make movies for them....while HD-DVD has Universal, Paramount, WB and Weinstein.....

Blu-ray has all of umm...Paramount, WB, Disney (Buena Vista, Miramax), Fox, Lionsgate, MGM, Sony Pictures (Tri-Star and columbia) and weinstein....

this is why you're seeing HD-DVD players going for 299.99 on sale with 5 free movies...because they are simply getting clobbered in sales.....

Blu-ray recently lowered the prices of their players along with the new Sony player BDP-S300 at 499.99 when it comes out next week...

I own a PS3 and if you are someone who has kids and enjoy high def movies....this is killing 2 birds with one stone...or 3 or 4 since it's pretty much a computer...

ahaha hopefully this clarifies some things...alot of people are apprehensive about making the move to high-def because of the "format war"....but this war is greatly exaggerated if you look at the facts...

Edited by Avernus

What sort of bag are you talking about?

my wife? :D

Gladiator, as mentioned above, is phenomenal.

And as anyone with kids can tell you, the Pixar films are tremendous....might be an ideal way to disconnect from yourself for a few hours with your little green friend and recliner :D