[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

*** Official Everwars Thread ***

Super Twinky

Anyone else having problems getting to the site today?

It seemed a bit slow this morning, but normal now. The early players that started with 200 ep's have 150+ battles already. I think i had 75 but my nephew started with a lot less. Its tough to balance the sp/ep/battle/energy ratio, but i think its an improvement.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seemed a bit slow this morning, but normal now. The early players that started with 200 ep's have 150+ battles already. I think i had 75 but my nephew started with a lot less. Its tough to balance the sp/ep/battle/energy ratio, but i think its an improvement.

I keep hovering around the 80's...I can't play during the day so I am limited unlike the ubergeeks that can play all day...

I was at #6 last night, but dropped to #11 during the day.

At this point, I'm only going to fight a couple of times a day and save the EP's for skill points. Until those get built up a bit, there's no point in going after the big boys. That's the biggest edge they got with those extra EP's.

Those knuckleheads will never finish that game. 5 years in beta. gimme a break. It's a circle jerk, IMHO.

The fact they are so damn secretive about how the thing is suppose to work, and response to every suggestion is "We've already thought of that, and are working on it, now shut up and play" shows thier immaturity.

Edited by cre8tiff

Those knuckleheads will never finish that game. 5 years in beta. gimme a break. It's a circle jerk, IMHO.

The fact they are so damn secretive about how the thing is suppose to work, and response to every suggestion is "We've already thought of that, and are working on it, now shut up and play" shows thier immaturity.

Yep, there are a lot of angles that it is just really hard to figure out without a little info. Like, what the attack +/- deal is and how it affects how many attacks you get.

A little insight would be nice as one tries to figure out the best mix of big/slow and small/quick weapons. You can't tell simply from looking at your battles because you have no idea whether you're getting good "dice" or not. Considering that you have many less battles per day...

I'm inching closer and closer to bailing entirely.

that was harsh... down to 11-1 and lose :D

11 Olaf the Damned attacks using Corroded Bronze Knuckle Duster for 2 damage 1

9 Eve attacks using Tarnished Bronze Spear for 2 damage 1

9 Eve attacks using Basic Great Sword but MISSES 1

2 Eve attacks using Tarnished Iron Great Sword for 7 damage 1

0 Eve attacks using Iron Great Sword for 5 damage 1

Eve wins by 1

Edited by Cunning Linguist

Kudos to you detlef, for trying to reason with that group. But you will never get ahead in your argument.

It's like buying into a poker game that has been going on for 5 years using bogus rules. They won't be talked out of it.

I tried in many posts and PMs to help them see what was fun about thier game, but the developers are single minded in thier purpose. They are trying to make WoW in a browser, which will never work with thier level of programming skill. I suspect they are using a really bad database (maybe even access) because there is no possible way that something with less than 2000 active users should be that slow or crash as much as it does. I make applications that run 20,000 users at a time using calcu;ations and database calls that have much better response times than what I see there. If they are using something robust (Oracle, SQL Server), then they must not have normalized tables. I think they are a bunch of web programmers who have little experience in actual applications programming, or game design for that matter.

If you look at them from the neophyte perspective, you may be able to understand the croneyism they exhibit by handing advantages to thier early testers.

Kudos to you detlef, for trying to reason with that group. But you will never get ahead in your argument.

It's like buying into a poker game that has been going on for 5 years using bogus rules. They won't be talked out of it.

I tried in many posts and PMs to help them see what was fun about thier game, but the developers are single minded in thier purpose. They are trying to make WoW in a browser, which will never work with thier level of programming skill. I suspect they are using a really bad database (maybe even access) because there is no possible way that something with less than 2000 active users should be that slow or crash as much as it does. I make applications that run 20,000 users at a time using calcu;ations and database calls that have much better response times than what I see there. If they are using something robust (Oracle, SQL Server), then they must not have normalized tables. I think they are a bunch of web programmers who have little experience in actual applications programming, or game design for that matter.

If you look at them from the neophyte perspective, you may be able to understand the croneyism they exhibit by handing advantages to thier early testers.

I almost asked them what they were using for a db then thought better of it. I really don't want to know. The developers have a vision of what they're trying to achieve but they don't seem to want to share.

My response to "What bothers you about EW?"

To be totally honest, it's rather boring. The new layout has improved this somewhat because there's more to think about in terms of the best way to ready yourself for a successful battle. Before, you farmed, hoped for good loot, and simply used the SP that you typically got instead to improve yourself until you reached the upper echelon and then actually started fighting players you might lose to in order to test your character and improve your rank.

Now, there's incentive to use your EP to train rather than fight. However, at the end of the day, there is just too little that you actually do. Honestly, I really don't know why I'm still playing it, but I do know that I'm majorly cooling off on the game. Guessing that I'll likely quit rather soon.

I understand that there will be other things introduced, like the much heralded player's market, but I'm not sure that will be enough. I suppose I will likely loose steam long before enough engaging things are introduced. I hung on before because I really thought there were going to be major and significant changes that changed EW and wanted to continue building up my character to be in good position when this happened.

However, it remains a game where you basically attack people you think you have a good chance of beating and hope for loot. That has a very finite allure to me.

Did you notice that they have deleted both our posts regarding the EPs being unfairly distributed and the affect that is having on the game.

They did not delete them. They split those posts off into their own thread in the Off-Topic forum. It's called EP Debate.

Well, despite my complaining, I still find myself playing the damned game and have made it to #21.

What I've found to be effective is hitting people who have fought a ton. Unless they were one of the chosen few who got a bunch of extra EP to start, that means they haven't used any EP on training. Thus, regardless of how cool their gear is, they're probably not going to hit for much damage. That, combined with the fact that UC and R stuff isn't really any better, the rating is essentially pointless.

I have a 1.4 rating and just beat a guy who was 2.3 and still had 80 life remaining at the end of the battle.

I've decided to just be a total pain the ass...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeras

That is fine but remember, that is a choice YOU are making. If you rely on random items from prize codes, you may get what you want or you may not.

It's like playing the lottery versus getting a job and working to buy that new car, house, etc. that you want. It would be a lot more fun to buy lottery tickets each day and hope for the best, but our realistic side tells us to get a job.

-Z

My response

There is a vast difference between what Drag is talking about and playing the lottery rather than working. That difference being that numbers show that playing the lottery is bad odds. The "lottery" you have set up, however, pays off very nicely. While the conservative approach is quite expensive to try.

I'm assuming that I am no luckier than most and yet managed to work my way up the ladder somewhat quickly both before and after the change because I realized the shop was a rip-off. Despite the fact that you have lowered the prices across the board, it still remains so. Especially since you can get started with the free gear and nobody is close to being so tricked out with gear that they're just not likely to find any upgrades in battle.

On top of this, SPs are far more coveted than before, so using EPs on them is actually a very good strategy to take. In the previous version, that didn't make nearly as much sense as farming and just using the SP by-products.

So, if it is your intention to make buying things a part of the game, you're going to need to fix this because, while I understand that it is simply a matter of choice whether you use the shop or not, it just happens that, like before, buying your gear is not a choice you should use if you want to win.

I know, I know, that's just my opinion. But I would love to see the breakdown of people who spent much money relative to their alloted EP on gear from the store and how they're doing.

He and I have brought up valid points. If you continue the rather elitist approach of making up reasons why we are wrong and reminding us that you guys have all the answers, it will be to the detriment of your game.

I've decided to just be a total pain the ass...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeras

That is fine but remember, that is a choice YOU are making. If you rely on random items from prize codes, you may get what you want or you may not.

It's like playing the lottery versus getting a job and working to buy that new car, house, etc. that you want. It would be a lot more fun to buy lottery tickets each day and hope for the best, but our realistic side tells us to get a job.

-Z

My response

There is a vast difference between what Drag is talking about and playing the lottery rather than working. That difference being that numbers show that playing the lottery is bad odds. The "lottery" you have set up, however, pays off very nicely. While the conservative approach is quite expensive to try.

I'm assuming that I am no luckier than most and yet managed to work my way up the ladder somewhat quickly both before and after the change because I realized the shop was a rip-off. Despite the fact that you have lowered the prices across the board, it still remains so. Especially since you can get started with the free gear and nobody is close to being so tricked out with gear that they're just not likely to find any upgrades in battle.

On top of this, SPs are far more coveted than before, so using EPs on them is actually a very good strategy to take. In the previous version, that didn't make nearly as much sense as farming and just using the SP by-products.

So, if it is your intention to make buying things a part of the game, you're going to need to fix this because, while I understand that it is simply a matter of choice whether you use the shop or not, it just happens that, like before, buying your gear is not a choice you should use if you want to win.

I know, I know, that's just my opinion. But I would love to see the breakdown of people who spent much money relative to their alloted EP on gear from the store and how they're doing.

He and I have brought up valid points. If you continue the rather elitist approach of making up reasons why we are wrong and reminding us that you guys have all the answers, it will be to the detriment of your game.

Well put Det. The elitist attitude these dorks have is getting old fast. Cre8's point about the db issue probably won't be addressed anytime soon plus the fact that they aren't good listeners either.

I'm frustrated with the EP/SP aspect the last couple days. Ive used EPs to train heavily on what i have, only to lose to lower ranked players. After climbing to #22 yesterday by beating 1/5 of page one--a couple 3-4 times each i find today i've had my arse handed to me (dropped to 27) by the same people, yet they haven't changed ratings. It doesn't make sense to keep playing it anymore unless they do something really soon.

Edited by Cunning Linguist

Well, perhaps done playing, but not done arguing with morans...

Originally Posted by Tharg

Not a viable strategy? Bah . . . I can get an Iron Short Sword from the sword shop for only 86 EP and a Tarnished Bronze Great Sword for a mere 217 EP.

Things called a job and a life only allow me to log in periodically throughout the day. Assuming I accrue 1 EP per hour (and why would I even bother logging in if I'm saving EP's and not battling), it will only take me 3.5 days to save up for the short sword or a little over 9 days to buy the great sword.

Why should it matter that I my ranking will plummet during that time? I will have a shiny (ok, tarnished) new sword to rain destruction upon the field of battle.

Posted by me

OK, so let's say you started with 74 EP like most of us. Assuming that you don't have much time to log in and earn EP very fast. That means you have basically spent every single EP on those swords which means you have nothing left to train with. Neither of these weapons will hit for much if any more than the free weapons. How is this a viable strategy?

If you attack someone who's used his EP to train with and just gotten the weapons through battle (along with armor, scrolls, potions, etc.) it is highly likely that you will get destroyed.

Let's say you spent 100 of that EP fighting lower tiered players and the other 200 maxing out your SP on what you have. You would have to be about the unluckiest person alive to not get at least two weapons at least as good as those two swords out of the 33 battles you fought. Actually, you'd have more than 33 battles 'cause if you were, in fact, unlucky, you'd be getting a ton of spells or what have you to sell back which would buy you at least another attack every 3 won. At that point, you'd have similar weapons (quite likely several) to those you just bought plus have your SP in them up to around 20-25 or so depending on how spread out your won gear is.

Either that or you can have two weapons and no SP training. However, as it has been made completely clear, that is your choice. I just don't like to lose, so I have chosen the other path.

If you got 224 EP like some and left the store alone, hit a few people and trained the weapons that you got through battle, you'd be top 5 right now.

Originally Posted by Gil

I guess to my way of thinking, choosing to go through one of two doors when there are only two doors is still a choice. It might not be a plethora of choices or even good/bad choices, or it might not even be a choice you want to make but it is still a choice.

I know this might not help, but hopefully you can see that I am not attempting to make light of the situation or be sarcastic in anyway. We are

attempting to work within a set of parameters and expand outwards slowly. This is obviously not for some people and that is cool, to each their own . All I can say is hopefully we will get to a destination that all parties will be happy with.

Mine

I own a restaurant. If I had two items that each cost $20. One being a steak and the other being a pile of poop, I could argue until the cows come home that I am giving you a choice. It just so happens that one of the choices simply didn't make sense. Of course, my dog (like many other dogs) loves to eat poop. So if dogs were allowed to order, I might actually sell a decent amount of poop. I could then point to the fact that I am selling poop as justification that everything is fine.

Gil, we are simply pointing out that there is little logical reason to choose the shop as a viable option of building your character. I defy you to explain why Tharg's choice makes any sense at all.

We aren't doing this to be mean or argumentative. Simply to point out that, as it is designed and just like before, the shop doesn't make much sense to most people. You've bothered to include it in your game, why not make it make sense?

Digging your heals in the sand and claiming that Dragother and I are just two examples choosing one of many viable paths to success is not going to make your game better.

This is an example of someone with the ability to think ahead ..

.. and you are right, it may not turn out like we want and if it doesn't, we will make adjustments.

We learned from the past that making currency really easy to get from the beginning leads to a lot of players owning the best stuff and complaining the game is boring until we add more. The only problem is that three months after launch, we would have to charge 100 everpoints per battle, 10,000 everpoints for items in the stores, etc.

Basically we are trying to be smart about it and in doing so, we may be a little too tight-handed with everpoints .. we realize that. However, the game has been officially online for only 5 days so it is a little early to start opening the everpoint flood gates. We knew it would be slow in the beginning because everyone is starting from almost nothing.

-Z

-Zeras

Developer of EverWars!

No wonder they have been in "beta" for FIVE years.

I like the dig at your "inability to think ahead". Shall we tell her about how much planning is involved with your empire?