[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Antonio Pierce: Anybody who fights pit bulls is a punk

rajncajn

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?...0530.xml&coll=1

:D

Pierce: I'm responsible dog owner

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

BY MIKE GARAFOLO

Star-Ledger Staff

Toward the end of Antonio Pierce's bio on the Giants' Web site, two of his hobbies are listed. One is "working with cars," a harmless pastime enjoyed by many.

The other is "breeding pit bulls," a hot topic in the NFL these days with the ongoing investigation of Falcons quarterback Michael Vick's potential involvement in a dog-fighting ring.

But according to Pierce, his interest in pit bulls is limited to an appreciation of the animals, not an exploitation of them.

"Anybody who fights pit bulls is a punk," the middle linebacker said yesterday after the team's organized team activities workout at Giants Stadium. "It gives my dogs a bad rap. Everybody loves my dogs because they're good dogs. So of course I'm not pleased with it."

Pierce refused to comment specifically on Vick, who has said he was unaware of the activities taking place on the property Vick owned in Virginia. But Pierce said he's been following the case and said, "None of it sounds positive. If (the evidence proves Vick was involved), then (prosecutors and the NFL) need to do what they need to do."

Pierce said he owns four pit bulls and has sold several to his teammates and friends. But he said he has never sold one unless he was certain the dog wouldn't be involved in any kind of illegal activity.

"Mine are all for show, for looks. They're all good-looking dogs and they're registered," Pierce said. "I only sell them to people I know. There's no Web site called antoniopiercepitbulls.com.

"If I don't know you, you don't get one of my dogs."

Second-year cornerback Kevin Dockery purchased his pit bull, which he named "Hercules," from Pierce. Dockery said he's not worried about the Vick situation changing the public's perception of NFL players who own pit bulls.

"It's all about how you raise them," Dockery said. "My dog isn't aggressive at all. They just have a bad rap because they're capable of being aggressive and mean. But those dogs are reflective of their owners."

Pierce, who said he knew a few individuals involved in dog fighting while growing up in Compton, Calif., has a suggestion for those owners.

"If you want to put a dog in a position, put yourself in it," he said. "Go put yourself in the Ultimate Fighting Challenge and see if you come out alive. That's not what (owning a dog) is about.

"Especially if you're an athlete who's in the spotlight. It's not fair to the pit bull owners across America because they're getting a bad rap."

I say we put Vick in a ring with one of his dogs, I would pay to see that!.

Actually if you were to put the owner or handler in a ring with one of his dogs not much would come of it.

It's sad but in dog fighting if a dog shows one iota of aggression towards a human the dog is put down. Sad because the dog's are trained to kill each other not the owners, handlers etc.

I definitely hear where Pierce is coming from. I'm no breeder but I have a bull terrier and when walking down the street 9 of 10 people look at me like I have the plague. The truth is these type of dogs are great pets... there's no bad dogs, only bad owners. The bully breed type dogs go to great lengths to please their owners but sadly what pleases some owners is killing other animals or being a replacement for ADT.

If I would have meant Portis & Vick, I would have typed Portis & Vick, don't you think?

Obviously not, as I just wrote otherwise.

Why would we want to pay to see Pierce in there with the potential of getting messed up when we could see Portis and Vick forced to fight while walled in the same way as the dogs? Seems that would be more entertaining and would make more sense.

Course Pierce would probably wreck Vick without any problem, but in that case it would be really fast, and again, not as entertaining for a pay per view event...

What's interesting though is that New York and Washington are in the same division and will see each other twice this year. I wonder if Pierce will remember this when that time comes.

Couldn't help but note that Portis is backtracking like crazy lately too. I wonder if Pierce's interview might have influenced that at all...