[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My old soldier went home today

polksalet

Many of you remember the thread about my grandpa's retirement last summer. I cannot find it but here is the article http://www.nashvillenews.org/index.php/com...ocery_business/. Other than my wife and that idiot "Rams Fan" he was my closest pal. He helped me through the normal problems of childhood and then my parent's divorce when I was 12. He helped me through college and was a better grandpa than anyone has ever deserved.

He checked out on us today after a 2 month battle with pancreatic cancer. He never lied to me nor treated less than wonderfully. I have no regrets as our relationship was totally open. I know he is better off and is no longer in pain. Heck, when he found out he was dying he got all excited as he was tired of this world.

Goodbye my friend, my Grandad. I love you and will see you soon.

:D:D:tup::doh::D:D:clap:

:D I'm sure there's no doubt you'll miss him but he is in a better place. Sorry for your loss but I'm happy for his gain by leaving all the pain behind and moving on. Be strong and know he'll always be with you.

I'm glad to hear that you had someone to look up to and to love for a while (a lot of people in the world just aren't that lucky). Now as you're raising your family you have someone you can model yourself after... that's pretty rare now-a-days as well.

Sorry for your loss brother... take it easy. :D

You've got a really cool perspective on the situation, Polk. My condolences for your loss.

My cool words disguise my grieving, brokenhearted exterior.

The loss of such a beloved mentor and friend is painful stuff, Polk, even if it was his time. All I can say is try to remember the positives, celebrate his life. That is I'm sure, what he would want.... but by all means grieve... it's part of the process and part of the cycle of life. Maybe even commit yourself to be what he was to you to be the same person for another.... there is no better way to honor a guy who sounds like he is very deserving of that kind of legacy. Live as he lived.... and pass it on.

Goodbye my friend, my Grandad. I love you and will see you soon.

And I'm sure your Grandad will be the first to greet you when it's your time, but hopefully not soon. Very hard to lose someone in this life, but he's happier, peaceful, and pain free. My thoughts are with you as you will miss him. :D