[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vick is all done

Crazysight

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vick could learn from Bjorn Borg :D

Borg bitten during dogfight, withdraws from grass-court exhibition

June 11, 2007

LIVERPOOL, England (AP) -- Bjorn Borg was severely bitten in the leg by a German shepherd while trying to stop a dogfight and withdrew from his first grass-court match in 26 years.

The five-time Wimbledon champion was bitten in his right leg when he tried to pull the dog, Wolf, away from his golden retriever, Lipton, at his home in Sweden over the weekend.

He was scheduled to play 1987 Wimbledon champion Pat Cash in an exhibition at the Liverpool International this week, marking his first grass-court singles match since losing to John McEnroe in the 1981 Wimbledon final.

"I'm so disappointed that I cannot play at Liverpool," Borg said on the tournament Web site. "I've been really looking forward to this event and have been practicing hard for four months to get ready."

Borg, who received medical treatment at a Stockholm hospital, cannot put any weight on the leg for at least six weeks.

Former Wimbledon champion Richard Krajicek will replace Borg, who is still expected to attend the event as a spectator.

It sounds like the Feds are amassing booku evidence......if the Feds really want to bury someone...they usually can. I have backed off until we can learn more, but DW pretty much echo's what I've been saying they got involved for a very concrete and legit reason....of that you can be 110% sure. Also, do you really think they would get involved to bring down the "Gangsta Wannabe" cousin.....methinks not.

As someone who understands how these things (dogfights and all that that goes along with it)work.

The stuff besides dogfighting will be what Vick gets any real jailtime over if he gets real jailtime. Dogfighting houses are always more than just dogfighting. there is drugs, illegal alcohol,gambling and many times prostitution. if this is Vicks house it will be racketeering/conspiracy charges that really get him.

This being said. I do not condone dogfighting. I think it is horrible.I just know how the crap works and have watched it work a few times as a youngster.

You think Vick was fighting unicorns at the house? Oh, well that's okay, then.

Okay, I'll ask you: Why do you think Feds were digging holes all over the grounds at Vick's place? Maybe they all heard there was good fishin' down the road & needed some nightcrawlers.

For the record, BB - waiting to see more before coming to a conclusion is different than jumping to conclusion.

And your question really shows your frame of mind: you're willing to believe the dog carcass story to the exclusion of all other possible ends. How about something OTHER than carcasses was thought to have been buried on the property. Tools, blankets, carpets, records - who knows? Certainly not you, I or anyone else.

Non-fictional stories often have endings far different than how they appear in the first place. Just ask Richard Jewell.

As someone who understands how these things (dogfights and all that that goes along with it)work.

The stuff besides dogfighting will be what Vick gets any real jailtime over if he gets real jailtime. Dogfighting houses are always more than just dogfighting. there is drugs, illegal alcohol,gambling and many times prostitution. if this is Vicks house it will be racketeering/conspiracy charges that really get him.

This being said. I do not condone dogfighting. I think it is horrible.I just know how the crap works and have watched it work a few times as a youngster.

DING DING DING!

We have a winnah! :D

Dogfighting houses are always more than just dogfighting. there is drugs, illegal alcohol,gambling and many times prostitution. if this is Vicks house it will be racketeering/conspiracy charges that really get him.

....and most importantly, in the eyes of the feds, large profits that someone did not pay taxes on. :D

Not unlike Josh Gordon, dogfighting is a "gateway" crime. First, you start off letting Fido and Muffy mix it up a little bit. Next thing you know, you are robbing banks and slinging crack on a street corner. :D

:D

That's about as bad as I've seen a word butchered here - and there have been some bad instances.

It's beaucoup, PD.

:D Shouldn't there be an "X" in there somewhere? :doh:

The French just love throwing that "X" in the most amazing places. :tup:

edited to add:

...and I thought it was boocoo :D

Edited by McBoog

For the record, BB - waiting to see more before coming to a conclusion is different than jumping to conclusion.

And your question really shows your frame of mind: you're willing to believe the dog carcass story to the exclusion of all other possible ends. How about something OTHER than carcasses was thought to have been buried on the property. Tools, blankets, carpets, records - who knows? Certainly not you, I or anyone else.

Non-fictional stories often have endings far different than how they appear in the first place. Just ask Richard Jewell.

That you're willing to equate this with what happened to Jewell in ATL is a bit more of a lean to the absurd than my projecting what may be getting dug out of the ground at Vick's place, don't you think? Yeah, they could be digging anything out of the ground - hell, maybe they're excavating a T-Rex skeleton out for the Smithsonian. Given the circumstances and the story going on here, that's about as plausible as records, tools, carpets, a washer & dryer, a space shuttle, or other various & sundry items that the Feds could be excavating & crating out.

That so much circumstantial evidence is pointing right at Vick regarding dogfighting, and given his character & credibility clearly demonstrated by his flipping-off-the-crowd/Ron Mexico/false-bottom-water-bottle/throwing-coaches-under-the-bus/media-whining evidence, I'll give you a little better analogy regarding Vick & dogfighting than what happened to Richard Jewell:

Then President Clinton looks the country in the eye, wags his finger at us, and repeats, "I did not have sex with that woman..." I'll bet you stuck up for Clinton's credibility then, too, didn't you - because there wasn't concrete evidence presented, despite numerous past stories of Clinton's sexual escapades, including an alleged rape. Right up until that stained blue dress showed up...

Some people can connect the dots, others need the picture completely drawn for them. There's nothing wrong with that, and certainly your perrogative, to believe Vick right up to the point where he is convicted.

Edited by Bronco Billy

That's about as bad as I've seen a word butchered here - and there have been some bad instances.

It's beaucoup, PD.

You sir, have obviously never read any of Yukon's posts!

I've learned to stop reading his stuff. My IQ isn't high enough that it can suffer the incredible drops that coincide with reading his unique tailoring of the English language.

....and most importantly, in the eyes of the feds, large profits that someone did not pay taxes on. :D

Yep.

I've learned to stop reading his stuff. My IQ isn't high enough that it can suffer the incredible drops that coincide with reading his unique tailoring of the English language.

You know I refrained from taking a tone with you to begin with, but no longer. What makes you think I have not read up on Poindexter?

Your own comments perhaps?

This failure was shameful and speaks, along with Poindexters comments impugning the Feds as racists, of Poindexters gross negligence in the matter or perhaps something darker still than mere incompetence.

Seems to me you wouldn't have made those comments if you'd have known Poindexter had recently been involved with another dog fighting case of 30+ counts, which was thrown out due to an improperly worded search warrant & was in the process of executing a correctly written search warrant.

Especially now that I know you're a fellow prosecutor.

But tell me something Mr. Career Prosecutor. If you were involved in a case which is similar to a recent case you had which ended up getting tossed out of court due to an improperly worded search warrant, wouldn't you make dam sure that you crossed every t & dotted every i, for the new search warrant? To me, if you didn't, then you're an incompetent boob & not worthy of the salary we're paying you.

So either;

A.) You were indeed ignorant of the above & did not read up on Poindexter.

or

B.) You're in the habit of throwing your peers under the bus with slander & insinuations of corruption, even though aware of the surrounding circumstances.

What makes you think you know more about evidence than me, a career prosecutor?
To begin with Mr. Career Prosecutor, you put your pants on each day of the week same as me, so color me thoroughly unimpressed. Secondly, how am I supposed to know that you're not just as much of an incompetent hack (if not more!!!) that you ever so graciously paint your fellow prosecutor to be?
You say the washers, dryers, and shop vacs were in plain sight, and they were. What you do not get is what plain sight means as in your very post you state they would have had to test those items for blood residue. In other words such residue is not in plain sight on the items. See plain sight has one meaning to the general public and ignorant schmoes like yourself, to the legal community it has quite another meaning. It is a term of art. A term with particular and well described meaning, the knowledge of which is arrived at through study, not pompous spewing on the internet on subjects one clearly knows nothing about. If we need a virgins opinion on the Star Wars films we will look you up. On matters of other concern you should remain silent.

So under the original drug warrant the authorities were still authorized to go through & seize a tread mill, break stick, breeding stand (not a "rape stand". Only the sensationalist media & ignorant schome's like yourself refer to a breeding stand as a "rape stand") & personal mail, blood stained carpet, but could not seize other items in plain sight?

Now let's ask another question. Why, in a drug investigation where they were prepared to look for drugs, manufacturing paraphernailia, precursor chemicals, and drug residue would they even be prepared to look for residual blood. That was not within the extent of their warrant nor the scope of their investigation. Once they saw the crime in progress of animal abuse or neglect they could not turn their eyes from it, but legally the warrant does not shift to allow them to shift the focus of their investigation into that. Rather they had to leave without exceeding the scope of their warrant. They then needed to go back in front of a judge and with the evidence they did find in plain sight, and with any other evidence they could gather, articulate probable cause to search for evidence of dog fighting.
Hmmmmmm....I wonder how they were able to determine that it was actual blood on the carpet they seized & drops of blood found in the room? Maybe they just pulled out a Ouija board & summoned the spirits of the 37 dead dogs to tell them. Or maybe, because drugs are often associated with guns & guns are often associated with violent crimes, they do have the chemical necessary to test for blood along with the other chemicals needed to test for drug residue in their kits?

Nahhhh, that's too logical. We'll go with your supposition that they don't have the chemical necessary for blood testing in their kits & stick with the Ouija board concept.

Now the operation is a breeding operation, or so we are told, so we expect to find certain things. Certainly a legitimate breeding operation will have records of bloodlines, records of health and shots, kennels, areas to acclimatize puppies to humans, puppy chow and inoculation records, and most importantly a plethora of females of breeding age. After all one or two sires can effectively impregnate dozens of females. Hell it could even be done with straws of semen.

From what I understand these items, excepting a rape stand which would indicate some breeding may have taken place there(or which might have been nothing more than a handy restraint for vicious beasts in general), were generally, even conspicuously, not found. Rather items accompanying fighting operations were. Well this is starting to sound rather fishy to me. From what I gather we had an unusual number of males of fighting age and few females and no puppies that I know of, of course our information is sketchy

I refrained form correcting you on these gross inaccuracies before, but there's just too much BS here.

Any legitimate large breeding kennel of potentially aggressive dogs, be they Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Doberman Pinschers, Pit Bulls, Chows, Presa Canarios etc...etc...etc...will have a break stick or two on hand to separate the dogs if they happen to go after each other.

A "Breeding Stand" (only ignorant schomes like yourself & the sensationalist media refers to it as a "rape stand") are ALWAYS used in legitimate kennels for natural mating. It is to ensure that when the dogs are locked up (can be as long as 30 minutes) the female does not become agitated & attack the male and do damage.

A tread mill(s) is / are a common tool(s) that any large legitimate breeding kennel will have to keep the dogs toned & in shape. It's just not financially feasible to have the necessary large staff needed to physically walk / run the dogs of a large breeding kennel.

Any legitimate breeding kennel will have a room, or area, set aside for birthing. Guess what happens during the birthing of puppies Mr. Career Prosecutor? The blood that the drug authorities found using their Ouija board.

Any legitimate breeding kennel (large or small) will have syringes and veterinary equipment on hand.

As to the sex & ages of the 66 dogs seized from the property in question, that information has not been made available.

In short shut the SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS !!! up skippy. You either have no idea what you are talking about or you have spewed your nonsense with no actual thought. Either way your ignorance offends me and your condescending attitude invites a bitch slapping.

Untangling Michael Vick from the Dogs

By D. K. WILSON

I give you one of my tennis rackets. You go to the tennis courts to play against another player. You're playing horribly. At one point during your match with the other player you totally freak out, smash my racket. In the process you destroy a chair and a bench, and then you take the tennis racket and attempt to throw it over the fence. Unfortunately for you the racket slips out of your hand and it hits the other player, breaking his nose.

A reporter sees you and gets on her celly and calls the police. The police arrive about the same time the ambulance does. The other player is taken to the hospital, but first tells the police that, yes you went nuts, but didn't mean to hit him in the nose. The reporter, though, says you not only went crazy on the property but purposely hit your playing partner. In the process of questioning you, you tell the police I gave you the racket: they take down my address. The reporter overhears all of this.

About 30 minutes later I'm leaving my house to do some grocery shopping. I'm met outside on the sidewalk by three police cars and five policemen. They want to question me about you. Why? Something about you and a tennis racket and a guy with a broken nose.

Three days later on the 6 o'clock local news the reporter is breathlessly reporting the tennis court incident and demanding that the police investigate and arrest me.

Why?

She says that while investigating a local story about a man - you - she saw go crazy on a tennis court she found that the tennis racket belonged to me. She also found that I took the racket to a shop and had it restrung three times.

She breathlessly tells the television audience that it was actually the strings that caused your playing partner to have a broken nose and that I am ultimately responsible for the damage on the tennis court caused by you because the tennis racket was originally mine.

That is the story of Mary Kay Mallonee of Norfolk's WAVY TV. But more importantly, this is the Michael Vick dog fighting story in a nutshell.

Dog fighting has its roots in ancient Rome in the days of the Roman Coliseum. Centuries later the activity was alleged to have reappeared in medieval Europe, particularly England. Dog fighting was not confined to Europe. The activity is documented in Japan during the Kamakura Period (1185-1333).

Today dog fighting still occurs in some parts of England and in pockets throughout Europe. However, dog fighting is especially popular in Latin America. This reporter has seen dog fighting pits alongside cock-fighting pits in Mexico, Belize, and Guatemala, and been invited to cock and dog fights in both Belize and Guatemala.

In the every state in the United States dog fighting is a crime, but the punishments vary. It is a felony in all but two states, Idaho and Wyoming. Yet dog fighting does occur and is popular in rural areas and in all Southern states.

On the WAVY website, a drug investigation involving Vick's cousin Davon Boddie led authorities to a house in Smithfield, Va. purchased by Vick:

According to the search warrant for Michael Vick's property, detectives seized guns, illegal ammunition clips, suspected Josh Gordon and paperwork on dog fighting.

Included on the list was a semi-automatic gold-metal 45-caliber pistol along with other guns. Investigators said this has turned into a much bigger case than they ever expected, and will take some time to complete.

The investigation apparently had origins in an April 20 arrest of Boddie where he gave the address to police in Hampton, Virginia. Boddie was arrested for possession of Josh Gordon with the intent to distribute. Police then procured a search warrant and on Wednesday, April 25 searched the home for signs of drugs and or drug paraphernalia.

That the police found it necessary to immediately seek a search warrant for the address and its home is a questionable act. Young black man lives in an exclusive rural setting in a 4,700 square foot home? With cursory research the police surely found that the owner of the home was Michael Vick (Vick recently sold the manse for what was called a "cut-rate" price). What was just another black man perhaps selling a little Josh Gordon became a potential cause celebre calling for swift action.

In a May 4 interview given by Mallonee to the Mayhem in the AM crew at WQXI Radio 790 The Zone out of Atlanta, Georgia, during the search of the home an investigator is purported to have heard dogs barking on the property. Mallonee told 790 interviewers that the investigators asked someone at the house what the barking was about. The person willingly took the investigator to a set of kennels where more than 70 dogs were housed, many of which appeared as though they suffered injuries from fighting. From the WAVY website report:

Chopper 10 captured exclusive video of animal control officers removing the last of more than 70 dogs from Michael Vick's property on Friday.

Animal control officers said they also rescued at least ten beagles and said these dogs are commonly used almost as bait to train the larger pitbulls to attack.

Thursday, officers seized truck loads of equipment used for training fighting dogs. They found treadmills, whips, chains, injectable drugs and breeding equipment. Investigators said this is part of one of the biggest and most elaborate dog fighting compounds they have ever seen.

As of Friday night, the 70 plus dogs that were found are all safe. There are animal control officers spread out across several local cities who are taking care of them.

The number of dogs removed from the home is debated. Dave Forster of the Virginian-Pilot reported:

Authorities removed the last of 66 dogs Friday from the home about 10 miles from Smithfield, where Vick's cousin Davon Boddie lives.... The animals removed include about 54 pit bulls, many of them badly scarred, said [Kathy] Strouse, animal control coordinator for Chesapeake.

It is at this point that the story of a home owned by Michael Vick becomes twisted in to something surreal and otherworldly. It is here where television reporters stray from journalism and venture into thoughts of becoming the sound and fury and face behind the story; where dizzying dreams of that magical progression from the local beat, its low pay and long hours, to the world of prime time major network and major cable recognition becomes a possibility.

If only the "right" spin is applied to - Michael Vick.

And it is here that the Vick saga is time and space and event bent. It is where, for the sports fan, in a 24-hour span Vick giving the finger to a fan spewing a stream of consciousness cursing tirade directed toward the quarterback after a football game in November of last year is equated with the demonic activity of dog fighting. It is in just another television show segment later where a water bottle with a secret compartment that contained - Josh Gordon(?) jewelry(?) nothing(?), that has since disappeared from public view and media mention, the Miami International Airport Transportation and Safety Administration's offices and the Dade County police's purview, is now another in a long line of Michael Vick in discretions. It is where, just after the commercial, more "experts" will tell a now-enraptured audience that these events make Vick the Scarface of the dog fighting world; that this "long chain" of three happenstances puts Vick on the level of 10 times investigated, arrested, or otherwise hassled NFL villain du jour Adam "Pacman" Jones: "I mean, with this long line if incidents, when do you start thinking of Michael Vick like Pacman Jones," said ESPN's Trey Wingo.

The result of the above is that the Michael Vick-dog fight story reeks on several fronts. It reeks of racism, imperialistic worldviews, cultural insensitivity, and jingoism.

Yummy.

That racism plays a part in the Vick saga should be of no surprise. That it is so readily manifested publicly is always surprising. Consider this statement from John Goodwin, who handles dog fighting issues for The Humane Society of America, made to ESPN's Dana Jacobson on the worldwide Leader's morning show First Take:

"Dog fighting is part of a larger culture in the NFL. It has no place in the NFL or in civilized society."

Goodwin went so far as to, along with his boss Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of the Humane Society of the United States, send a letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell detailing some facts and many conjectured allegations concerning various NFL players relative to dog fighting. Goodwin averred that he had compiled the information sent to Goodell several years ago and that Vick is just another in a long line of NFLers involved in dog fighting.

To Jacobson's credit, she pressed Goodwin on this issue, asking him once why he waited so long to send this letter to the commissioner's office and asking a second time, why he waited for the Vick incident to send a letter to Goodell. Predictably, Goodwin skirted the questions by attempting to levy an offensive attack and subtle charge of negativism toward Jacobson's valid queries:

"I am not gonna stand by and let people do what they want when it comes to dogs," barked Goodwin, as if his "tough on crime" act-statement was a proper substitute for failing to address Jacobson's questions.

In another interview Goodwin went farther with his accusations of Vick:

"We heard there was a video existing with him sitting next to the pit," says John Goodwin, deputy manager of animal fighting issues for the Humane Society of the United States. "I don't know if the video has been destroyed or does exist. I don't think you need that kind of evidence. There have been dog fighting cases that have led to convictions with less evidence. You got scarred-up dogs, a carpet with blood on it that dogs fought on, veterinarian drugs and syringes used for pre- and post-fight treatment and equipment they used to prepare dogs for fights.

"There's a store owner, despite Vick's denial that he is involved, saying (Vick) has been there buying veterinarian drugs. All the pieces are there."

The untruth that Goodwin "heard" there was a video of Vick was a classic "planted" story seen regularly in politics. In the political arena, though, getting close to the source of that plant is often difficult. Fortunately, in sports matters are much more transparent. In this case the story arose directly from the halls of the Humane Society instead of through a newspaper or television report given anonymously to a journalist. This time we can see that the video lie was planted by either Goodwin or his associate Kathy Strouse, animal control coordinator for Chesapeake, Virginia.

Goodwin had this to add to Steve Wyche, Atlanta-Journal-Constitution NFL writer and beat writer for the Atlanta Falcons:

"We have well-placed sources in the dog fighting underworld," John Goodwin, deputy manager of animal fighting issues, told the Journal-Constitution. "His involvement has been brought to our attention numerous times. We pay people for information that leads to arrests."

Goodwin said The Humane Society did not know the location of a dog fighting of Vick's until Wednesday's investigation.

And there is an example of the Goodwin's twisting of facts, stretching of the truth, or outright lies. The Vick operation is purported to have been on the Humane Society's radar for years and was known to be a well-funded operation. If this is true, it is nearly impossible for Goodwin's "well-placed sources" who, in the past have investigated NFL players and who know that Virginia - as are all Southern states - is known as a dog fighting hotbed not to have known the exact whereabouts of Vick's alleged operation.

Goodwin, on the PetAbouse.com website attempted to further justify his inability to know the whereabouts of Vick's purported dog fighting operation:

"We get a lot of calls, and people were always kind of kicking his name around," Goodwin said. "But it was always difficult to put together a complete case on the guy. The word is that he has multiple layers of protection. When the search warrant was executed and they found all the things they found, it really came as no surprise."

While Goodwin could never quite pin down Vick, Don Banks of Sports Illustrated seemed to have no problem finding people to snitch on Vick. Banks penned an accusatory piece on Vick based on "multiple sources who have known Vick well for years." These "sources" who allegedly know Vick so well apparently don't know his cousin because they never implied that they'd visited Vick's cousin's home where the Atlanta QB is said to spend so much of his off time:

...they say his troubling pattern of recent behavior reflects a penchant for questionable judgment, an unwillingness to distance himself from the wrong crowd, and a long-standing belief that the rules don't apply to him.

While the sources spoke on the condition that their names not be used due to their relationship with Vick, two of them said they were convinced the quarterback has been involved with the illegal dog-fighting ring that authorities believe they discovered last month while conducting a drug raid on a house Vick owns in Smithfield, Va.

"He knows what's going on in that house in Virginia,'' one source said. "There's not a doubt in my mind he's involved with it.'' The other source cited Vick's longtime "affinity'' for the dog-fighting subculture, and expressed certainty that Vick was aware of what was happening at the house.

Back to the Humane Society posse, Goodwin's boss, Pacelle spoke at length with NBC sports' Tom Curran on the subject of dog fighting. In the article, Pacelle, like Goodwin and Strause is steadfast in prosecuting Vick in the court of public opinion before all the facts of the case come to light:

"Any high-profile case that results in exposure or arrest sends a signal to others that they are playing with fire will help," said Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of the Humane Society of the United States. "There's no type of animal cruelty that comes with harsher penalties than organized dog fighting. It's a felony in 48 states and a federal felony.

"Hopefully, an unfortunate case like this with Vick brings attention and gets into the minds of those involved and causes them to say, 'Hey, I need to think about whether this is something I want to continue being a part of.'"

Not only does Pacelle personally indict Vick, but he attacks the entire world of rap music.:

"Tens of thousands of people are involved in pit bull fighting," he said. "It's glorified in rap, it's celebrated by athletes. The same impulses that caused people in the days of the Roman Empire to go to The Coliseum to see staged fights between lions and bears are in this. There is something that appeals to a segment of people in terms of bloodlust."

The tag-teaming of Vick by the Humane Society continues with John Corbin, Deputy Manager of the Humane Society's Animal Cruelty Campaign and an expert on animal fighting issues. In the same NBC Sports article Corbin said the following:

"We understand (Vick) is very involved. From the informants that have called us on the issue of dog fighting, Mike Vick would be the No. 1 athlete involved. It's going to be hard for him to hide behind saying he was ignorant of the whole thing when at least one store owner says he comes in all the time and buys syringes and veterinary equipment."

Unfortunately, without media scrutiny to this point Goodwin's and his bosses' persistent and shrill cries have finally drawn the interest of Congress:

On Friday, Rep. Tom Lantos, D-Calif., joined two prominent animal rights groups in putting pressure on NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to "act swiftly and forcefully" if Vick was involved in dog fighting. Lantos hinted that the government may get involved if the NFL doesn't act appropriately.

"I am outraged that one of the National Football League's superstars is affiliated with such a heinous enterprise," Lantos wrote in a letter to Goodell. "The level of cruelty involved in exploiting animals to the point that 60 malnourished and injured dogs were removed from Mr. Vick's property is mind-boggling. I will view anything less than the strongest repudiation of Mr. Vick's involvement as tacit support for this atrocious activity."

False statements like these set up the perception that Vick is nothing more than another highly-paid black malcontent athlete who, along with his flaunting of the law and disrespect for others is also a lowly inhumane, uncivilized cur.

Additionally, this is an issue that is tailor-made for Congress. It lands itself automatically to bipartisan support: after all, a dog is a man's best friend. And the weak threat that "the government may get involved if the NFL doesn't act appropriately" is just that - weak. At the same time, it is not improbable for the government to take dog cruelty and run with it. The cause of defending animals will not only join Republicans and Democrats, but neoconservatives, liberals, traditional conservatives, and progressives. Both sides can even elicit the aid, be seen with, and join hands with their Hollywood compatriots without it seeming like just another photo opportunity.

For one moment, just when the approval polls for Congress are lower that those of the President, all of government can band together and show the country just how our representatives can show their collective humanitarian side - just when the U.S. begins to gear up for the 2008 elections. The following statement elucidates the contrived stirrings the Human Society is attempting to arouse at the expense of Vick:

The Humane Society of the United States issued the following statement from Wyane Pacelle, president and CEO: "The Humane Society of the United States has heard troubling reports for some time that Michael Vick has been involved in organized dog fighting, and we fear that this investigation may validate that very disturbing allegation."

While Goodwin acts on the national front whipping up a false frenzy, it is Strouse who performs the Humane Society's dirty work on the local level. Strouse has viciously attacked Virginia Commonwealth Attorney Gerald Poindexter. According to the website Pet Abuse.com Strouse:

"...has served as a resource for the Virginia Legislature on animal fighting legislation and is a Bloodsports Investigations Instructor for the National Animal Control Association Academy. Recognized as an expert in dog fighting and animal cruelty cases, Strouse's experience with these cases will be a crucial part of any potential criminal charges that may be sought [against Vick]. "

Strouse has taken it upon herself to use mostly local media sources to pound Poindexter, the black prosecutor from Surry County, Virginia where Boddie resides. Strouse has told several sources that she cannot believe that Poindexter has failed to produce an indictment for Vick. Yet, she too is not averse to carrying the message of 'Gerald Poindexter is inept,' to the national press. In a Yahoo.com article written by Jason Cole, Strouse attempted to bury Poindexter:

For her part, Strouse was not backing down and essentially challenged Surry County Commonwealth attorney Gerald Poindexter to charge Vick. Last week, Poindexter made statements indicating he was reluctant to charge anyone with dog fighting.

"He was at the home and saw the equipment that we seized," Strouse said of Poindexter. "When we were there, he said he had enough right there to issue an indictment. He didn't say who he would indict, but he said he had enough.

"Now, with what he has said, it makes you think, 'What in the world is going on in Surry County?' This certainly doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about the Surry County attorney," Strouse said.

Amazingly political and racial in nature, Strouse in the above statement, equates Poindexter's - a black man - reticence to jump into prosecuting a case involving dogs before all the evidence is compiled, to his treatment of the citizens of the county he represents. And it is Strouse who is believed to be behind the words of the media pawn for the Humane Society, Mary Kay Mallonee.

Mallonee's genteel Southern accent makes it easy for a listener to tell when she is betraying her emotions and they range from conspiratorial tones when she relates what "investigators" are saying to her off the record, to demeaning laughter when describing the state of the interior of the home occupied by Vick's cousin and his friends.

Through it all Mallonee's "evidence" implicating Vick is sorely lacking:

"There's a store nearby, the clerks there say he [Vick] buys lots of supplies [for the dogs] like syringes."

I don't know when buying syringes became evidence of dog fighting. But what is worse about Mallonee's statement is when asked if the store had security camera tapes of Vick in the store, Mallonee had to admit sheepishly:

"Not that I've heard of. Not that I've heard of."

When asked: "And uhhh, Mary Kay, we had heard here in Atlanta, at least, that the Humane Society had a dossier or at least heard questions, questionable things going on about Mike Vick and the Humane Society gets involved Did they provide any information in this investigation," this was her answer:

"You know, there have been it's, it's interesting there have been, ummmm, signs of this for years. There's people talking about this for years. The Humane Society, neighbors, I mean different pockets of people, ummmm, trying to get investigators on this for years. And so you've got a lot of people including the Humane Society, including neighbors, including people who work at stores that have sold all these supplies who are wanting to help investigators ummmm, nail this case down."

Huh?! The only reports from neighbors were that they'd seen Vick once or twice walking a dog that obviously was not a fighting dog. The clerks at stores have never spoken ill of Vick.

When asked: "So right now it's on the record that people saying they've seen Mike Vick, it is not a few and far between or rare occurrence to have Mike Vick anywhere near or around that house," Mallonee answered:

(Loudly) Oh No! It doesn't sound like it at all. From all the different people that we've talked to it doesn't sound like it's, it's a rare occurrence at all. But I will tell you, I, I don't think that it's just word-of-mouth. I think police have something else more concrete that shows that he is there on a regular basis

Here, Mallonee subtly brought up the specter of a video of Vick in attendance at a dog fight on the property. However, even Kathy Strouse must admit that there is no video of Vick, though she obviously holds out hope that some damning evidence exists:

"Let's be very accurate here, because some of the reports out there are not accurate," Strouse said on Tuesday. "We have information from informants that a tape exists of a dogfight and that Michael Vick is present. Whether that tape exists, we do not know that it exists."

Mary Kay Mallonee is very willing to point the finger at Michael Vick for a dog fighting operation, but much less willing to separate fact from innuendo. The Humane Society is happy to have Emmy-winning talent on their side.

The Humane Society has opted not to pursue cases like those Clinton Portis spoke of, the cases near his birth home in Laurel Mississippi:

"I know a lot of back roads that got a dog fight if you want to go see it. But they're not bothering those people because those people are not big names. I'm sure there's some police got some dogs that are fighting them, some judges got dogs and everything else."

Because of his statement, Portis is the subject of derision throughout the sporting press. That is often the reaction when someone comes out of the blue, breaks through fallacy, and baldly tells the truth.

On a website that was linked to Vick (it has been since removed from the Internet), www.vicksk9kennels.com, listed for sale American pit bull terriers and presa canarios -- a breed once used in dog fighting. A picture of a presa canario stud named Pepe was featured prominently on the Web site. The caption accompanying that photo read:

"Look at this ultimate canine that is highly intelligent, powerful, well-framed, and has tenacious courage. He is naturally confident and will go through great lengths to fulfill all of his owner's commands. No other breed can compare. This dog has dignity, strength, an appealing appearance, and is committed to having extreme performance. You are looking at a well-qualified family pet and protector."

Also prominently stated on the website were the following words:

"We do not promote, support, or raise dogs for fighting."

Vick's former dog breeding website and its message, like the facts behind Portis' statement, will go largely unreported. That Michael Vick owned a known and apparently responsible dog breeding kennel is not of interest to the media. They want blood and guts - Vick on a skewer. Portis' statement, on the other hand, hits too close to home. It raises the thought that someone you know may be involved in dog fighting - especially if you live in the South.

Instead the Humane Society and the media seek Michael Vick.

The premise of the Humane Society's attack on Vick is, the sports media dislikes him enough already, so we can piggy-back on them. As far as our case goes, if we throw enough crap at the wall, hopefully some of it will stick and perhaps we'll have a case against this well-known athlete. We will be in the limelight, have a better chance at receiving easy Federal funding and a multitude of high-dollar private donations. Better yet that he's black because many will automatically vilify him.

This problem the nation now has with Michael Vick is borne from his lack of production on the field and his having the temerity (in the eyes of the press and the public) to flip off a fan who lets loose with a stream of consciousness cursing tirade at Vick as he left the field after a game.

The problem with our nation is that we're far too willing to believe the story that tugs at our heartstrings, no matter how far-fetched, rather than examine cold-hard facts. We want to believe in the pleasant face of Mary Kay Mallonee and a host of administrators from a place known for saving animals, like the Humane Society.

Whether Michael Vick was a willing participant in dog fights, or whether he bankrolled an entire dog fighting operation will come to light. Virginia Commonwealth Attorney Gerald Poindexter is a black man who, during the post-Civil Rights era, came to Surry County, Virginia and guided the first three black members of the county board of supervisors through how to govern a county at the expense of many of the parents of the people attempting to disparage his character now.

Poindexter will get to the bottom of whatever happened at the house owned by Vick. He just won't allow his emotions to be his guide. And he will not allow the Humane Society or Congress or local news talent or the national sports media to dictate his methodology for his investigation:

"I don't believe in trying cases in the press," said Poindexter, who is up for re-election in November, "and I find that despicable, OK?"

But tell me something Mr. Career Prosecutor. If you were involved in a case which is similar to a recent case you had which ended up getting tossed out of court due to an improperly worded search warrant, wouldn't you make dam sure that you crossed every t & dotted every i, for the new search warrant? To me, if you didn't, then you're an incompetent boob & not worth the salary we're paying you.

So either;

A.) You were indeed ignorant of the above & did not read up on Poindexter.

or

B.) You're in the habit of throwing your peers under the bus with slander & insinuations of corruption, even though aware of the surrounding circumstances.

To begin with Mr. Career Prosecutor, you put your pants on each day of the week same as me, so color me thoroughly unimpressed. Secondly, how am I supposed to know that you're not just as much of an income tent hack (if not more!!!) that you ever so graciously paint your fellow prosecutor to be?

In short shut the SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS !!! up skippy. You either have no idea what you are talking about or you have spewed your nonsense with no actual thought. Either way your ignorance offends me and your condescending attitude invites a bitch slapping.

You incredible nincompoop. DW happens to be a DA for the 3rd larget city in Colorado. He also happens to be among the smartest & sharpest people that I've ever had the pleasure to meet in my life.

That you think that you in any way impeach his credibility with your childish "gotcha!'s" speaks only to your ignorance. If DW is speaking to something, especially in his career area of expertise, I'd advise that you pay attention & learn something rather than put forth the inane diatribe you've spouted above.

Now back to the ignore list with you - now moreso than ever.

Edited by Bronco Billy

You might not agree with him, but why would you want DW to shut up? He is obviously presenting some very well reasoned arguments here. To say he has no idea what he is talking about is pretty clearly not the truth. He might reach a differnet conclusion than you do, but that shouldn't prevent you from having a decent conversation about the matter.

Weak.

You incredible nincompoop. DW happens to be a DA for the 3rd larget city in Colorado. He also happens to be among the smartest & sharpest people that I've ever had the pleasure to meet in my life.

That you think that you in any way impeach his credibility with your childish "gotcha!'s" speaks only to your ignorance. If DW is speaking to something, especially in his career area of expertise, I'd advise that you pay attention & learn something rather than put forth the inane diatribe you've spouted above.

Now back to the ignore list with you - now moreso than ever.

:tup:

Just so you know, incompetent prosecutors aren't limited to the size of a city you incredible nincompoop.

And your saying he's one of the smartest people you've ever met, ain't exactly a ringing endorsement.

This time when you put me on ignore, do us all a favor & keep it like that. :D

You might not agree with him, but why would you want DW to shut up? He is obviously presenting some very well reasoned arguments here. To say he has no idea what he is talking about is pretty clearly not the truth. He might reach a differnet conclusion than you do, but that shouldn't prevent you from having a decent conversation about the matter.

Weak.

Because while he may or may not be competent in his chosen profession, he clearly knows jack about the dog breeding business & sure was quick to throw one of his fellow prosecutors under the bus.

Local veterinarian Dr. Melinda Merck, one of the nation's top forensic vets, is assisting the prosecution in the investigation of dogfighting at property owned by Falcons quarterback Michael Vick in Surry County, Virginia, she confirmed Monday.

Merck said she was working with the Surry County sheriff's office and Commonwealth attorney Gerald Poindexter. Merck, of Canton, had no knowledge of what was removed from Vick's property last Thursday, when the office of inspector general, U.S. Department of Agriculture executed a warrant — the third at the property.

Merck, who founded the Cat Clinic of Roswell in 1990, is considered one of the top animal crime scene investigators in the nation, according the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Merck and Randall Lockwood co-authored an award-winning book, Forensic Investigation of Animal Cruelty: A Guide for Veterinarians and Law Enforcement Professionals.

www.ajc.com

Interesting!

So the incompetent & possibly corrupt Poindexter (at least according to our resident prosecutor DW) has brought one of our nations top forensic vets & one of the nations top animal crime scene investigators to assist with his investigation, the Feds (Dept of Ag) has not even made cursoury contact with this expert.

So Poindexter was in the process of executing a correctly worded warrant, at least according to his statements. I'm more than a little shocked at the extremely lengthy amount of time this went on. It does not take days or weeks to write a properly worded warrant. One also does not allow evanescent evidence to be under the control of the suspect while one seeks such a warrant. Yes one crosses ones "t's" and dots ones "i's", but not to the extent of allowing evidence to disappear. One relies on one's best efforts, the imprimatuer of the court who authorizes the warrant, and the officers good faith in executing the same to both secure the evidence and to give one a solid legal argument if an exclusionary hearing arises.

As to what was siezed under the first warrant I have concerns. The first warrant did not authorize the police to look for evidence of dog fighting. When they saw animals in distress they were not required to ignore that. They were free to secure those animals, but then their obligation was to go no further in their search in that regard. They could complete their search for matters related to drug dealing or manufacturing, but then they needed to leave, secure the premises, and seek another warrant related to their then existing probable cause to believe that a separate illegal activity was taking place on the property. I have real concerns that the tread mills, carpets, and other items will get excluded.

As for arguing the semantics of calling an item a rape stand verses a breeding stand I take this as what it is, an off point argument meant to distract. A rose by any other name springs to mind. So does you say potato I say you're a dumb ass.

As to what their forensic people were prepared to look for I know our crime lab people go out with fully equiped trucks. I also know that they are instructed to limit themselves to the scope of the warrant before going in, though obviously they take caution to not contaminate other potential evidence. In a drug raid absent allegations that violent crime took place this means that collecting and testing for blood would exceed the scope of the initial warrant. My guys would have, in accord with their training, secured the premises and sought a new warrant before proceeding.

As for my bona fides as a prosecutor you have no real idea. Your analysis of this matter thus far does, however, give me an idea as to your bona fides.

Lastly when it conmes to throwing a fellow prosecutor under the bus I agree I may have knocked Poindexter there in my rush to save the prosecutors he threw under the bus by suggesting racial animus in their pursuit of the truth. I have no trouble damaging the rep of someone who struck the first such blow. Poindexter's behavior in this matter has been nothing short of outrageous and I will not stand in solidarity with him. If you choose to do so that is your choice.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

You mean things like this:

Let me ask you, do you know that the evidence removed by the Feds weren't dog carcasses? If you can't prove that, you're making the same mistake that you are accusing others of making.

I'll agree that what we know so far makes up for a pretty crappy picture of Vick but this is just preposterous.

They may have found dog remains on the property but just because they got a warrant and went looking for it isn't de facto evidence of the existence and excavation of remains. They haven't revealed what they found... IF they found anything yet.

Assuming Vick is guilty is one thing. Everyone is entitled to draw that conclusion from what has transpired. Assuming facts not in evidence, yet, is quite another.

As for my bona fides as a prosecutor you have no real idea. Your analysis of this matter thus far does, however, give me an idea as to your bona fides.

C'mon he can google a subject, read an article and put forth google found facts within a 20 minutes span to sound like an expert!

I wonder, does he put his pants on before googling? :D