Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Love

Borat on DVD

So, Borat came in the mail yesterday (Blockbuster Total Access, which is like Netflix). We pop it in to give it a viewing, and, while funny, I was surprised at the lack of "I can't believe they said that" type of moments. I originally chalked it up to the fact that my expectations can get out of line when I'm excited for a movie. However, I then remembered people talking about the "Throw the Jew Down the Well" scene, which wasn't on the DVD.

What else did I miss? And does anybody know why the DVD was edited? Lawsuits?

It might have something to do with Blockbuster. I don't think they offer the NR versions of any movie, unlike Netflix. I just watched Borat through Netflix two weeks ago, and I think it had everything included.

Yup. Blockbuster doesn't do unrated... they may even have edited versions of flicks.

So, Borat came in the mail yesterday (Blockbuster Total Access, which is like Netflix). We pop it in to give it a viewing, and, while funny, I was surprised at the lack of "I can't believe they said that" type of moments. I originally chalked it up to the fact that my expectations can get out of line when I'm excited for a movie. However, I then remembered people talking about the "Throw the Jew Down the Well" scene, which wasn't on the DVD.

What else did I miss? And does anybody know why the DVD was edited? Lawsuits?

it was missing from the On Demand version on digital cable as well, I don't think it can be attributed to lawsuits as there was plenty of other Jewsh humor that remained from the original, plus S.B. Cohen is Jewish himself, hard to sue a Jew for jewish humor I would think.

There's been a controversy for years about whether Blockbuster sanitizes movies. Doesn't have anything to do with the rating -- BB does not carry NC-17 movies, but they do carry some unrated versions of movies. And my local store loves the Playboy series.

BB has always maintained that they do not edit movies -- its critics claim that is only partially true, that BB does demand certain scenes be altered by the distributors before BB will carry the movie. As far as I know, BB has never denied that practice. My understanding is that BB's rationale for doing so is to avoid controversy and boycotts, not lawsuits. I think Wally Mart does the same thing. And it sounds like certain cable companies may do it as well.

And the song was in the theatrical release, which was R-rated. The unrated version of Borat really didn't have all that much added (besides the extras) -- I think the wrestling scene may have been a little longer.

There's been a controversy for years about whether Blockbuster sanitizes movies. Doesn't have anything to do with the rating -- BB does not carry NC-17 movies, but they do carry some unrated versions of movies. And my local store loves the Playboy series.

BB has always maintained that they do not edit movies -- its critics claim that is only partially true, that BB does demand certain scenes be altered by the distributors before BB will carry the movie. As far as I know, BB has never denied that practice. My understanding is that BB's rationale for doing so is to avoid controversy and boycotts, not lawsuits. I think Wally Mart does the same thing. And it sounds like certain cable companies may do it as well.

And the song was in the theatrical release, which was R-rated. The unrated version of Borat really didn't have all that much added (besides the extras) -- I think the wrestling scene may have been a little longer.

I worked for Blockbuster for years, and while they do not edit movies, they do opt for the rated R's over the unrated versions.

My copy of Borat still has the throw the jew scene in it...

It might have something to do with Blockbuster. I don't think they offer the NR versions of any movie, unlike Netflix. I just watched Borat through Netflix two weeks ago, and I think it had everything included.

Of course, an hour after I make this post, I drive by a Blockbuster and see signs all over the windows advertising that the "Unrated" version of "Hannibal Rising" is now available. I guess they must offer some Unrated flicks..... :D

That scene is from the TV show....it's not part of the movie.

That scene is from the TV show....it's not part of the movie.

Exactly, that scene wasn't from the film, but rather from Da Ali G show on HBO. It's on YouTube if you want to see it:

Edited by Skrappy1

I finally watched this movie on HBO tonight. I think the hotel fight scene is perhaps the funniest thing I have ever scene on film. :D

I finally watched this movie on HBO tonight. I think the hotel fight scene is perhaps the funniest thing I have ever scene on film. :D

Throw the Jew Down the Well wasn't from the film....if the nude wrestling pseudo salad tossing scene doesn't ring a bell it wouldn't surprise me that was edited out. Gil - when that scene showed in the theater, the full house made so much noise from people stomping their feet so hard from laughing it was something I doubtful I'll ever hear again.

I can't remember a funnier scene. I think the last time I laughed that much was watching American Wedding (crap movie) and Stiffler was eating the dog crap (excellent scene). The other one is when Vince Vaughn basically gets raped in Wedding Crashers.

I stopped going to Blockbuster a long time ago when they tried to decide what movies were appropriate for me to watch.

They didn't carry "Kids" because of corporate policy. I went to another movie store for it, and never went back.

I stopped going to Blockbuster a long time ago when they tried to decide what movies were appropriate for me to watch.

They didn't carry "Kids" because of corporate policy. I went to another movie store for it, and never went back.

I have no legs.

Gil - when that scene showed in the theater, the full house made so much noise from people stomping their feet so hard from laughing it was something I doubtful I'll ever hear again.

+1. it was one of the few movies i've seen in a theater in the past few years, but i'm glad i did. i was one of those people stomping the floor from laughter. i laughed so hard it felt like someone had pummeled my stomach.

the movie theater version didn't have the naughty bits covered with the black bars. I prefer them edited out...