[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Instant Karma

Egret

No, not 100% of the time. But you can't tell me that 100% of the food bought makes it to those starving folks either. Much of it gets "appropriated" by militant groups. If you want to do "some good" then give your money to organizations that work towards education, not just shoveling food over there. It doesn't help in the long run any other way.

I agree kid ...if one feels that food money is not been appropriated correctly then by all means help with donations for education programs or medicine ...but at least something is being dome and their is a sense of compassion ...better than not caring imo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can sorta see where spain is coming from. First of all, it is hard for many people to understand what is going on in a place like Darfur, especially considering bad things like that are going on in other places too. When does it all stop? Me sitting here at my intern desk, it is hard for me to understand how I can truly help someone.

I have a hard time writing a check to these organizations too. One of my scholarships for school is a community service based one and we have done a lot of work with Invisible Children. People have been wearing those little bands and stuff, but they have no clue to even why they are wearing it or why they gave a couple of bucks. That bothers me.

If anything, like people have said, we need to educate people there and here more about situations such as these. Education can help a lot and people will then find other ways to help too.

Edited by Goopster24

No, not 100% of the time. But you can't tell me that 100% of the food bought makes it to those starving folks either. Much of it gets "appropriated" by militant groups. If you want to do "some good" then give your money to organizations that work towards education, not just shoveling food over there. It doesn't help in the long run any other way.

This is correct. Bringing Africans to our universities can help because it's education that is most needed in the long run.

Africa is it's own worst enemy. Zimbabwe used to export food like it was going out of fashion before the communist cretin Mugabe appropriated all the farms, giving them all to local people with no clue (or interest) in running them. Zimbabwe is now on the point of starvation with an economy that is a total shambles, unemployment at 80% or more. How did this thriving country turn so quickly into wreckage? Clue: It wasn't America or Europe that did it.

Africa is it's own worst enemy. Zimbabwe used to export food like it was going out of fashion before the communist cretin Mugabe appropriated all the farms, giving them all to local people with no clue (or interest) in running them. Zimbabwe is now on the point of starvation with an economy that is a total shambles, unemployment at 80% or more. How did this thriving country turn so quickly into wreckage? Clue: It wasn't America or Europe that did it.

Its not the kids who are starving, or running for there lives fault that the country has gone into such a hugh depression. If we're the great country we say we are, and the great people we say we are, we need to step it up. We don't realize how good we really do have it here. Its our responsibility as human beings to step in.

But how does being the world's policeman fit into Washington's warning to avoid foreign entanglements? Shouldn't we take care of ourselves instead of playing God in sovereign country affairs? Have we learned nothing in Bosnia?

Food for thought

Its not the kids who are starving, or running for there lives fault that the country has gone into such a hugh depression. If we're the great country we say we are, and the great people we say we are, we need to step it up. We don't realize how good we really do have it here. Its our responsibility as human beings to step in.

But if we do step in, we step in in the same way as giving a drink to an alcoholic. It satisfies the craving for a short time, then everything gets even worse.

Some better solutions (none of which will come to fruition):

Blanket ban worldwide all weapons sales to any African country and make it stick

Provide no money whatsoever, only education, construction and expertise

Undermine the worst governments, support any potential leader who might do better

Sure I can see your point about helping the immediate crisis, especially the dying children, but if you give money or food, it tends to end up in the hands of the very people responsible for this unholy mess. See the Somalia disaster for reference. Giving money, you'll feel better for having "done your bit" but you may well have made things worse. There are thousands of good people in Africa trying to help in practical terms - if you can, help them directly.

Sorry to be so cynical but once you've seen the same play twenty or thirty times, it lacks the impact it once had.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Christina Aguilera sounds a bit like Chrissy Hynde on that track.

And the pic that comes up on youtube when the song is playing would indicate that Ms. Aguilera has an enormous rack.

I've made the two most interesting observations in this whole thread and you guys are prattling on about this and that.

If anybody is interested in a take on the subject of aid to Africa in general, I highly recommend The White Man's Burden: Why the West's Efforts to Aid the Rest Have Done So Much Ill and So Little Good

I definitely will put that book on my list of "must read" books. The chance of me ever contributing one cent to any of these "relief organizations" is zero. They do much more harm than good. Stupid do gooders have no idea the harm their well intentioned giving really does. They are killing more Africans than war, aids, and starvation combined.

If anybody is interested in a take on the subject of aid to Africa in general, I highly recommend The White Man's Burden: Why the West's Efforts to Aid the Rest Have Done So Much Ill and So Little Good

very similar to a book a professor of mine wrote about the the same thing.. ill try to find it so i can post it

I definitely will put that book on my list of "must read" books. The chance of me ever contributing one cent to any of these "relief organizations" is zero. They do much more harm than good. Stupid do gooders have no idea the harm their well intentioned giving really does. They are killing more Africans than war, aids, and starvation combined.

not thats some serious professional fishing or the heart of the coldest huddler we may have :D

For those of you who are curious. The CD is really good. I like a lot of the songs. It doesn't hurt that I grew up with Lennon and the Beatles. The only clunker is the Avril Lavigne song, but I already knew that.

For those of you who are curious. The CD is really good. I like a lot of the songs. It doesn't hurt that I grew up with Lennon and the Beatles. The only clunker is the Avril Lavigne song, but I already knew that.

Do you realize that there are starving kids in the Sudan who would love to have an Avril Lavigne song? :D

But how does being the world's policeman fit into Washington's warning to avoid foreign entanglements? Shouldn't we take care of ourselves instead of playing God in sovereign country affairs? Have we learned nothing in Iraq?

Genocyde can't be allowed to continue on anywhere. Murder of children shouldnt be accepted any time. Just because Washington tells us something, that doesnt make it true...

There are thousands of good people in Africa trying to help in practical terms - if you can, help them directly.

Sorry to be so cynical but once you've seen the same play twenty or thirty times, it lacks the impact it once had.

With Invisible Children, you can actually see where your money is going. A lot of the companies you guys are talking about that take a cut are just that, companies... You need to look for 100% Non Profits.

I answered this one above, but carry on. You really are an incompassionate prick, and if there is such a thing as Karma, you need to start wearing a helmet.

You really are an incompassionate prick, and if there is such a thing as Karma, you need to start wearing a helmet.

You are the one who doesnt care about Barbaro. Now that sir, is being an incompassionate prick! Just because I dont want to give another in a long line of relief organizations that dont do any good, then I have bad juju coming my way? Dude, you are a joke who is quickly approaching Irish status.

:D:D:tup::doh::D:D:clap::clap::clap::clap:

The Green Day and REM cuts, Brilliant

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

And to answer Spain's Question:

To prove that we are indeed the country we claim to be. This is where we should of made our stand, not Iraq. This is where we were truely needed.

But like Afganistan, there is no oil.....

I guess the human atrocities in Iraq cannot be considered when a republican president makes the orders.