[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Low class move?

mitpdub

So there is (was) an owner in our regular league that took over a team last year, ending up with the 2nd pick in the 06 draft. He ends up with LT, has a solid year and wins the championship and $$$. We play a 12 team IDP with $120 entry. So this week, while checking with owners regarding draft location he drops the e-mail to the league saying he wants to quit while "he's on top" and leave the league, good luck. As league champ he would obviously now be drafting last. A few regular members have e-mailed saying how classless that was considering he bought into a great draft position, and took home enough cash to pay for his next 5 seasons. As a footnote he was in our regular league about 3 years ago, played for a few years and also left after a winning season, but he didn't win 1st.

So lessons learned as commish would be to never let a take over owner end up with a top pick and force all new owners to draft at the bottom to be fair to the existing repeat owners. This issue of class I'm still pondering because I think hes a good guy from my dealings with him outside of FF. Kind of reminds me of a guy that we used to play poker with and if he was up big in the first 30 mins would start panicking and looking for reasons to bolt out before we had a chance to take our money back.

Does anyone have any rules they've incorporated to keep "hit and run" owners, like automatically deduct $50 of their winnings towards next years team?

Any opinions?

If there is nothing in the rules against it and it isnt any type of dynasty league I don't see any problem with it. Better to have him leave the league on his own than only go through the motions and not be 100% into it. Just my :D

Seems like he did it right. You have plenty of notice to replace him and draft position isn't the end all to winning a league.

He could have just not showed up draft time leaving you and the league in a lurch.

I tell my owners, in fact I beg them, if you want to quit at any point just tell me and I will deal with it. Just don't walk away and not say anything.

Finally he could have legit reasons meaning he needs to quit. Either way he handled it well.

What type of league?

If redraft, the draft order should be random so last year's results have no effect on it.

If a keeper or dynasty, the owner should still have LT and having the last pick should not be a deterrent.

If these are the parameters, he could decide to leave with no ramifications.

One exception is if the owner trades away future draft picks, he normally pays next year's fees at the time of the trade, so if he quits, it would be easier to get a replacement owner if he can play for free the first year with depleted prospects.

What was his reason for quitting?

In our leagues, if an owner wants to quit we let him. You don't want someone managing a team that doesn't want to play...

I agree, in fact when he did manage his team he did a really good job with WW picks, so just having LT wasn't a lock for him.

I think the problem with our league is its composed of groups of friends that have known each other for 10yrs+, so its not just business when someone leaves or bitches and too many people take it personal.

What was his reason for quitting?

In our leagues, if an owner wants to quit we let him. You don't want someone managing a team that doesn't want to play...

:D:D:tup:

this year we have 10 of 12 owners staying and this is the best return rate we've had since we started our own league in 2001...

the 2 owners were 1 year fill-ins and we're fine with that, even for a keeper as we'll just sell off the teams..

We play a 12 team IDP with $120 YEARLY entry.

I took the liberty to fix the above sentence for you(bolded part obviously)...unless I am wrong and that fee covers 2 or more years there should be no issue with him not coming back...and he has given you plenty of notice...if its a dynasty or keeper league there are rules that leagues use to make owners pay their next yrs dues if they trade to many draft picks away etc...imo, classless would have been showing up at the draft telling everyone then he wasnt playing and sitting back calling people names and saying how he took everyones money last yr.

I don't see the problem. Didn't he win the money fairly? If so, it's his money to do with as he sees fit.

The thing I find peculiar is you expecting him to automatically return just because he won and thinking that he has no class by leaving. If you can't stand to lose money, don't play for money.

Edited by Bronco Billy

This reminds me back in the day when I used to play pool for money. When the loser insists on playing again for the chance to get his money back. There's no rule that you have to play until everyone breaks even since that wouldn't be playing for money at all. It would be not playing for anything, imo.

I agree with pretty much everyone else here. The guy gave plenty of notice and it's hardly practical to put a rule in place that if you win, you've got to play next year or sacrifice (some of) your winnings.

I don't see the problem. Didn't he win the money fairly? If so, it's his money to do with as he sees fit.

The thing I find peculiar is you expecting him to automatically return just because he won and thinking that he has no class by leaving. If you can't stand to lose money, don't play for money.

Agreed. Now it's up to you if you want to let him back in after a year or two. Otherwise, I don't think he owes the other owners his presence just because he won.

Here is what you can do if it's a re-draft league.

If an owner leaves, the team/new owner moves to the last spot in the first round (and then follows the standard draft rules for the 12th pick for the rest of the rounds).

There is no roster being given to that new owner, so making that team pick last makes it a bit more fair for the other owners, in that you are saying...."you want to join the league, that's fine, but you are picking last".

If it's a dynasty or even a 1 or 2 keeper league, it might be harder to put this type of rule in place. The new owner is given a full roster, whether the full team is kept (for a dynasty) or they pick 1 or 2 players to carry over (in a keeper league). They are inheriting a franchise, and I'm not sure if it's fair to move the draft slot for that franchise.

It really doesn't help you with what happened last year (guy that won has left, new owner taking that franchise will pick last anyway), but as other people have said in this thread, there is nothing bad about what he did, you just need to deal with it.

Edited by charty

As league champ he would obviously now be drafting last.

I think this is the key to your troubles. Unless this is a keeper or dynasty league, then why would you base your upcoming draft on the previous season's results? I mean the guy would probably quit anyway, but if you randomize the draft order each year then at least you won't have someone disheartened by a bad draft position before you even get started again.

It sounds like most of the people here agree that it's not necessarily a classless move for someone to quit. People quit leagues for all kinds of reasons (some obviously more serious than others) but he gave you plenty of notice to find a replacement. If people are upset because they want to try to get the money back which they lost to this guy, then I'd say that that is more classless than him quitting (sour grapes).

Here is what you can do if it's a re-draft league.

If an owner leaves, the team/new owner moves to the last spot in the first round (and then follows the standard draft rules for the 12th pick for the rest of the rounds).

There is no roster being given to that new owner, so making that team pick last makes it a bit more fair for the other owners, in that you are saying...."you want to join the league, that's fine, but you are picking last".

If it's a dynasty or even a 1 or 2 keeper league, it might be harder to put this type of rule in place. The new owner is given a full roster, whether the full team is kept (for a dynasty) or they pick 1 or 2 players to carry over (in a keeper league). They are inheriting a franchise, and I'm not sure if it's fair to move the draft slot for that franchise.

The league members had voted for a keeper league, but the keeper cost is the draft round minus two rounds. So rounds 1 and 2 are off limits and keeping a previous 3rd will cost you a 1st this year. After we fill all the owner spots I'll repoll the owners for keeper or redraft options. We will move new owners to the back of the draft making the return owners slightly happier.

In my redraft league the champion gets to select from the cards 1-12 first to determine the random draft order. Then the runnner up etc...

So by doing well you at least get first chance at being first to draft. They might still select a bad draft slot but they get chance.