[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Employment history checks

Wolverines Fan

I won't bore everybody with the story, but I've decided to look for another job.

Here is what I'm worried about - A company that I worked for from 1996 - 2001 has gone through two management changes since I left. I've done some checking, and the people I worked for are no longer there. Frankly, there is no longer anyone there I know (management or just co-workers). If a perspective employer wants to verify that I worked there - which I did - how would he/she do this? They are welcome to contact that company, but, again, the people who run it now don't know me and I obviously didn't work for them.

How would my employment history be verified? I don't know if the current management of that company kept employment records going back to 1996. I have kept in touch with my former manager from that company, who hired me, and his manager. Would they have to verify my employment history? I'm probably getting worried about nothing here, but I don't want anyone to receive erroneous information.

All helpful opinions appreciated! :D

I won't bore everybody with the story, but I've decided to look for another job.

Here is what I'm worried about - A company that I worked for from 1996 - 2001 has gone through two management changes since I left. I've done some checking, and the people I worked for are no longer there. Frankly, there is no longer anyone there I know (management or just co-workers). If a perspective employer wants to verify that I worked there - which I did - how would he/she do this? They are welcome to contact that company, but, again, the people who run it now don't know me and I obviously didn't work for them.

How would my employment history be verified? I don't know if the current management of that company kept employment records going back to 1996. I have kept in touch with my former manager from that company, who hired me, and his manager. Would they have to verify my employment history? I'm probably getting worried about nothing here, but I don't want anyone to receive erroneous information.

I work in HR and had this very problem with a company I worked for that was bought out and no longer existed. I am sure that if you contact the HR department for the company you worked for they will have a file on you somewhere. Getting someone in HR to do the legwork and actually find your employment file might be problem but the responsability is thiers.

Sounds like telecom. There have been so many changes to this industry in the last 15 years that I'm in the same boat as you are after working 10 years for a telecom company. I too try to keep tabs on whats going on at my previous job. It seems like no one I worked for (or with) is still there.

If I were you I wouldn't worry about it. Companies now-a-days must run into this all the time when trying to verify previous employment.

Sounds like telecom. There have been so many changes to this industry in the last 15 years that I'm in the same boat as you are after working 10 years for a telecom company. I too try to keep tabs on whats going on at my previous job. It seems like no one I worked for (or with) is still there.

If I were you I wouldn't worry about it. Companies now-a-days must run into this all the time when trying to verify previous employment.

What he said. As a hiring manager, I wouldn't care that much about not being able to contact some company from 6 years ago, what with the rate of acquisitions and mergers.

My company isn't "technically" corporate...but if you worked somewhere for that long and the company can at least verify that you actually worked there then your fine. I tend to be a little more suspect of people that turned over jobs within a year or less.

They should have it in their records, just for legal reasons alone.

But they shoule most likely expect the canned response that some companies are told to give for any former employee: "Yes, he has worked here from ________ to _________" and nothing else.

Thanks to everyone who posted. I'm feeling a lot less nervous about this.

I am going to take Demon Knight's advice and contact the company and see if there is actually a file on me.