[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is a more likely cause of WW III?

muck

What is a more likely cause of WW III?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. What is a more likely cause of WW III?

• access to energy sources (oil, natural gas, etc)
    • access to drinkable water
    • One will cause WW III and one will cause WW IV
    • Neither; it'll be something else
    • There won't be a WW III

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The radical islamists will attack Israel. The US will respond. It is coming.

Yep, Islam finally overwhelms Israel. Israel sets off a few nukes. The US gets involved. The rest of the world gets involved. Then Charlton Heston exclaims "You did it, you really did it."

We've screwed up this planet enough and people have taken God's word so far out of context so we probably deserve it.

But if I had to guess , drinking water will be contaminated and then we will be forced to drink oil ...we may then have less use for cars but at least evian would go out of business ...nothing like spending 2 bucks for a bottle of water made in france and whose name spelled backwards is naïve

There will be no World War III, at least not on the scale of I or II.

There aren't that many industrial powerhouses capable of carrying out land campaigns. And forget about invasion fleets and airborne troop insertions, unless your countries initials are USA.

You might have some regional conflicts in the Middle East or China/Taiwain. But to think that major countries of the world will form alliances and clash in a conventional war with significant participation by these countries is pretty farfetched.

isnt this already going on??

Yes it is and people do not want to admit that.

Lets see off the top of my head we have:

The Nations or areas have suffered some type of losses from Sept 11th, 2001 [be it major or minor]:

Antigua & Barbuda

Argentina

Australia

Austria

Bangladesh

Barbados

Belarus

Belgium

Belize

Bolivia

Brazil

Canada

Chile

China

Colombia

Czech Republic

Dominica

Dominican Republic

Ecuador

Egypt

El Salvador

Ethiopia

France

The Gambia

Germany

Ghana

Greece

Grenada

Guatemala

Guyana

Haiti

Honduras

Hong Kong

India

Indonesia

Ireland

Israel

Italy

Jamaica

Japan

Jordan

Kazakhstan

Kenya

Lebanon

Liberia

Lithuania

Malaysia

Mexico

The Netherlands

New Zealand

Nicaragua

Nigeria

Pakistan

Panama

Paraguay

Peru

Philippines

Poland

Portugal

Romania

Russia

South Africa

South Korea

Spain

Sri Lanka

St. Kitts & Nevis

St. Lucia

St. Vincent & the

Grenadines

Sweden

Switzerland

Taiwan

Thailand

Togo

Trinidad & Tobago

Turkey

Ukraine

United Kingdom

United States of America

Uruguay

Uzbekistan

Venezuela

Yemen

Yugoslavia

Zimbabwe

Since September 11, President Bush and [former] Secretary of State Colin Powell have built a worldwide coalition for the war against terrorism. The coalition is stronger than ever and continues to grow.

• Since September 11, President Bush has met with leaders from at least 51 different countries to help build support for the war against terrorism.

• 136 countries have offered a range of military assistance.

• The U.S. has received 46 multilateral declarations of support from organizations.

• The U.N. General Assembly and Security Council condemned the attacks on September 12.

• NATO, OAS and ANZUS (Australia, New Zealand and the U.S.) quickly invoked their treaty obligations to support the United States. Our NATO allies are assisting directly in the defense of American territory.

• 142 countries have issued orders freezing the assets of suspected terrorists and organizations.

• 89 countries have granted over-flight authority for U.S. military aircraft.

• 76 countries have granted landing rights for U.S. military aircraft.

• 23 countries have agreed to host U.S. forces involved in offensive operations.

• Through intelligence cooperation with many nations, we are acquiring evidence against those responsible for the attacks of September 11 and we are better able to prevent future attacks.

• With U.S. leadership and with international support, Afghans have put aside long-standing ethnic and political differences to form a new interim government, naming a president and 29 ministers with portfolio. The new government will also include women, who have been oppressed by the Taliban regime.

• On December 11, more than 120 nations around the world answered President Bush’s call to reject terrorism and commemorate the victims of the September 11 attacks by holding remembrance ceremonies.

• The United States and several other allies have reopened embassies in Kabul.

• The President was joined by U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan on November 11 for a memorial service honoring the citizens of all the countries killed in the World Trade Center.

Combatants:

United States

United Kingdom

Israel

Australia

Canada

Pakistan

China[1]

Saudi Arabia

Iraq

Afghanistan

Northern Alliance

India

Somalia

Philippines

Turkey

Kurdistan Peshmerga

Indonesia

Norway

Denmark

Netherlands

Poland

Slovakia

Romania

Ukraine

Hungary

Bulgaria

Ethiopia

Georgia

Thailand

Russia

If this does not Constitute WWIII then we will never have a labeled war called WWIII

There will be no World War III, at least not on the scale of I or II.

There aren't that many industrial powerhouses capable of carrying out land campaigns. And forget about invasion fleets and airborne troop insertions, unless your countries initials are USA.

You might have some regional conflicts in the Middle East or China/Taiwain. But to think that major countries of the world will form alliances and clash in a conventional war with significant participation by these countries is pretty farfetched.

have to agree with this.....

i guess one question would be, whats definition of a world war?? is it determined by the number of participants, who is involved, what is the reason for the fight, where its fought??

Do you have a time estimate on when access to drinkable water will be an issue?

A friend of mine who runs a think-tank (of sorts) told me over lunch yesterday that one of the big projects he's working on involves global warming and access to drinkable water. He made a flip comment that he thought that if there was a WWIII it'd be over access to drinkable water, not oil.

Now, he's not the type of guy to make flip comments ... so, I'm guessing this really was something he's put quite a bit of thought into. I don't know his reasons because we were finishing our global warming discussion and lunch and then it was time to leave.

For some reason I have a hard time thinking that drinking water will ever be an issue. I mean the world is made up of mostly water. Surely if things start taking a bad turn we can build enough water purifiers to satisfy our thirst. Maybe this is how the US can become a major manufacturer in the world again. By supplying it with drinking water.

i could def see water more than oil.....life vs cheap energy

current world events that could spark it.

china/taiwan.....US may get involved if china invades

mideast.....US gets involved if isreal is attacked, but dont think many others outside the mideast care

US/venezuela/cuba.....if US for some reason goes into either, dont think anyone gets involved with military.

europe missile shield.....russia alot of talk, but could do something f'ed up

n korea.....if US does anything, skorea is history

nuke going off in US city....does US just start carpet bombing the islamic nations?

Edited by dmarc117

For some reason I have a hard time thinking that drinking water will ever be an issue. I mean the world is made up of mostly water. Surely if things start taking a bad turn we can build enough water purifiers to satisfy our thirst. Maybe this is how the US can become a major manufacturer in the world again. By supplying it with drinking water.

ha wait till the north doesnt let any water from the colorado to phoenix :D

canada already want so pump water out of lake superior and sell it in asia :D

canada already want so pump water out of lake superior and sell it in asia :D

Years ago there was talk of a water pipeline from MN to Texas to supply fresh water from Lake Superior. Canada effectively nixed that idea citing the fact that a minimum lake level had to be maintained. From what I understand from water levels around Duluth, the lake is down almost 18 inches right now. No way Canada gets away with this idea, we can just throw their argument back at them.