[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

salary cap in professional sports

isleseeya

Been arguing with a friend of min on this recently ...I think leagues with a salary cap ( like nfl and nhl ) are better than leagues without ( like mlb ) ...I think idea to try and be fair and have a level playing field offers parity and helps ensure teams don't spend beyond their means ....I think mlb is ridiculous when you have a team like the yankees at 208 million playing the devil rays 19 times a season with a payroll of under 30 million ...

Bottom line is a salary cap forces teams , their owners and GM's to earn success instead of trying to just buy it and create imbalance

Your thoughts ?

Edited by isleseeya

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a difference in being able to turn a profit and compete for a championship.

Albeit, it IS possible in MLB to win a Series with a lower payroll.

David Glass is a cheap and petty man. That has more to do with why the Royals suck than anything that has to do with a salary cap.

I agree that non-salary cap leagues suck. Caps tend to even the playing field regardless of each team's market worth. There are exceptions every year to the rule, but the fact is, year in, year out a team like the Yankees is in the hunt while the have-nots only have an occasional year or two in the hunt.

NFL is great because of the cap: teams have to learn how to build and manage a team with the same dollar amount.

David Glass is a cheap and petty man. That has more to do with why the Royals suck than anything that has to do with a salary cap.

I agree to a point, but it makes NO SENSE to consistently lose money. If Glass were to dip in and bump up the payroll, the Royals WOULD lose money every year.

I agree to a point, but it makes NO SENSE to consistently lose money. If Glass were to dip in and bump up the payroll, the Royals WOULD lose money every year.

Then he could sell it for 3times what he paid for it if it became too much.

Bottom line is a salary cap forces teams , their owners and GM's to earn success instead of trying to just buy it and create imbalance

I agree.

Ask the Pirates, Orioles, Royals, Rockies, Devil Ray's etc-one of the main reason's MLB sucks hindteat.

MLB has a luxury tax that forces the teams with a payroll over a certain amount to pay(or "revenue share") with teams below a certain payroll. The problem with many of the teams listed above (the Royals, Pirates, Brewers in particular) is that their owners take that Luxury tax money and either pocket it or use it in other business ventures rather than using it to improve thier teams as it was intended. i don't like the argument that these teams would lose money every year if they paid to get quality players, if they'd improve thier teams and have a solid product on the field then thier stadiums would be full and they wouldn't lose money. The only exception to this is maybe the D-Rays, a pro team should never have been put in Tampa which is and has always been Yankee territory.

MLB has a luxury tax that forces the teams with a payroll over a certain amount to pay(or "revenue share") with teams below a certain payroll. The problem with many of the teams listed above (the Royals, Pirates, Brewers in particular) is that their owners take that Luxury tax money and either pocket it or use it in other business ventures rather than using it to improve thier teams as it was intended. i don't like the argument that these teams would lose money every year if they paid to get quality players, if they'd improve thier teams and have a solid product on the field then thier stadiums would be full and they wouldn't lose money. The only exception to this is maybe the D-Rays, a pro team should never have been put in Tampa which is and has always been Yankee territory.

Very true but problem remains that the luxury tax is chump change for the teams paying it and the money received by the teams is nowhere near enough to bridge the gap in payroll from the top teams to the bottom ones

I just don't understand how in a professional sport a team with over 200 million dollar payroll is allowed to play teams 30- 50 million dollar payrolls ...its like a ferrari racing vs a honda ...ferrari will almost always win but it makes u scratch your head and say so what , its suppose to win

Irrelevant, they still have a hugh advantage.

If they had a hugh advantage, they'da won something in the last 6 years. Brian Cashman and Steinbrenner refuse to learn the lesson that they are currently teaching every other team in MLB: Baseball teams are not just the sum of their parts. Championships can not be bought.

If George came out and said "I want my teams to be filled with big names so I can sell lots of tickets" he wouldn't look like such a moron. It's the fact that he's doing all of this in the name of Winning, and not getting a result year in and year out that should be opening his eyes. I think Cashman is starting to realize what's going on here, as he's said a few times that they're going to rely on their farm system more in the future. Of course, that would mean a rebuilding period, which would probably cost him his job when you work for someone as delusional as George. Frankly, Cashman getting fired would be the best thing for him. He's a good GM and he'd immediately land a job working for someone who isn't a nut case.

If they had a hugh advantage, they'da won something in the last 6 years.

And slightly off topic, why can't you type the word

H

U

G

E

on this board without it being changed to hugh?

I wouldn't say that non-salry cap league suck, but it's clear that the model that the NFL uses has definitely worked out better than the NBA or MLB.

Cashman is a banker and not a good gm ..I am sorry with the money available to him my 10 year old son could be gm for that team ...and they have bought championships and playoff appearances that last 10 years ....

The argument about them also having homegrown talent is also disppelled because while they clearly have players who came up from the minors , the yankees overspend and throw ridiculous money at them to stay and at same time throw ridiculous money at other teams home grown stars to come join them ...they have the best of both worlds and operate like no other team in professional sports hence a ridiculous 208 million dollar payroll

MLB lost me at the last strike. The competitive imbalance, the same tired storyline every year - Yankees vs. Red Sox :D, half the league feels like a separate minor league since 95% of the good players leave for the better paying markets - that's what keeps me away.

Edited by The Irish Doggy