[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fellow golfers. Quick rule question. I mean not a rule question but what do you do question.

Skippy

since your original ball was technically lost, when you dropped another ball, the original becomes officially lost. you are then obligated to play the rest of the hole with the substituted ball. so you are ok in terms of not having to go back to the original. however, what you did not do was take the stroke penalty, which is required for the lost ball. he could have had a legitimate beef about that and pressed that point.

the latter thing is just bush on his part. if he makes the deal about closest to the pin, then the putt does not matter. you were closer, you win.

Skippy....on my local course, we've got an area that can be perennially wet for a lot of the season in an area that's easy to hit into. Been a frustration for years for all the members as it's never been properly fixed, or can't be. Actually, the word is they are supposedly finally going to dig that area up and turn it into a pond and a permanent water hazard.

Anyway, over the years, it's become an unofficial local rule if your ball is seen to go in that area, we don't demand you find the ball in order to take a free drop.

Exactly. I grew up playing in the NW with wet azz conditions- we had many wet rounds in the winter with wet areas where balls would plug.

Club rules -- if you saw the ball go into the wet area, and the group was in agreement- free drop, no penalty, even if you cannot find the plugged ball.

since your original ball was technically lost, when you dropped another ball, the original becomes officially lost. you are then obligated to play the rest of the hole with the substituted ball. so you are ok in terms of not having to go back to the original. however, what you did not do was take the stroke penalty, which is required for the lost ball. he could have had a legitimate beef about that and pressed that point.

i thought he did?

edit:

After we all get on the green it is pretty clear that I have a pretty good chance at an eagle and almost a 100% certain bird. At that point the odd guy starts moaning. He says that at the very least I need to take a stroke since I did not play my ball after they found it. I agree to shut him up. I sink the putt for what is now a bird. No one else makes a bird and I just convert 8 skins.

Edited by Azazello1313

You should have checked with the Pro Shop to see if that area is considered "Ground Under Repair". If it is which in most cases it probably was, lost ball in this area or not is a free drop no closer to the hole. GUR conditions change daily at different courses depending on many variables. Always check with the Po Shop or Sup at the turn or after the round.

You should have checked with the Pro Shop to see if that area is considered "Ground Under Repair". If it is which in most cases it probably was, lost ball in this area or not is a free drop no closer to the hole. GUR conditions change daily at different courses depending on many variables. Always check with the Po Shop or Sup at the turn or after the round.

Just got off the phone with them. It took me about 10 minutes to get the right guy on the phone, :D but he did indeed confirm that the area is a known problem and under local rules it should have been a penalty free drop.

I asked why it was not circled in white as this is a pretty decent course and he said that the area gets bigger and smaller so we should have listened to the starter when he told us about the area and the rule. I told him that the starter never did tell us about the area and then I told him this story. He invited us out for a free round of golf. :D

Just got off the phone with them. It took me about 10 minutes to get the right guy on the phone, :D but he did indeed confirm that the area is a known problem and under local rules it should have been a penalty free drop.

I asked why it was not circled in white as this is a pretty decent course and he said that the area gets bigger and smaller so we should have listened to the starter when he told us about the area and the rule. I told him that the starter never did tell us about the area and then I told him this story. He invited us out for a free round of golf. :D

i think you should track down ol' squeaky wheel's number and tell him this info. then make sure he knows he's NOT invited for the free round.

edit: and congrats on the eagle :tup:

Edited by Azazello1313

Screw that guy, he took a rather enjoyable time you have with YOUR friends and made it unbearable.

+1, I'm surprised you didn't 'flip a switch' with the way he was acting. Props to you for keeping your cool.

We played skins last weekend, and my partner misrepresented his score on one hole. I noticed this. "Really? A 4?" Yeah. Right.

According to his lie, we tied the hole, but rather than argue with him, I just went over to the card and marked the other team as the winner of the hole. My friend (other pair) looked at me quizzically, and I just pointed and said, "You won it. Trust me."

Making a big deal out of a $2 skin is as stupid as cheating for one. Like you said... all the winnings were spent on beer in the clubhouse anyway. They bought a pitcher with the skins money, and I bought one with my closest to the pin money.

Making a big deal out of a $2 skin is as stupid as cheating for one. Like you said... all the winnings were spent on beer in the clubhouse anyway. They bought a pitcher with the skins money, and I bought one with my closest to the pin money.

That's the way it always goes with us. The only way that you take any money home is if you pretty much sweep the round. Otherwise to spend fifty or even seventy in the clubhouse after you crushed in a skins game is no big deal. There is only one guy that we mind winning and that is because he will sit and drink while the winner is buying pitchers but the second that stops he is gone. When he wins anything of significance he is gone. The good thing is that we all seem to play a little harder because of him. :D

Here's my take:

The "odd guy" was definitely a tool. I hate playing with guys like that.

It would seem that the problems really arose when you gave him an opening by agreeing to take birdie over instead of eagle.

That said, I will say that just in reading your post, he should have won a skin on the par 3 as given what you said, the closest to the pin aspect was for skins already won - not that hole and he birdied, you parred. Were the other two guys in on the closest to the in part, or just the two of you?

But really, at the end of day, wasn't this thread initially started to tell us you got an eagle? :D

Edited by Cunning Runt

Here's my take:

The "odd guy" was definitely a tool. I hate playing with guys like that.

It would seem that the problems really arose when you gave him an opening by agreeing to take birdie over instead of eagle.

That said, I will say that just in reading your post, he should have won a skin on the par 3 as given what you said, the closest to the pin aspect was for skins already won - not that hole and he birdied, you parred. Were the other two guys in on the closest to the in part, or just the two of you?

But really, at the end of day, wasn't this thread initially started to tell us you got an eagle? :D

It was just me and the tool for the closest to the pin as far as the skins went but it was the entire group for the normal "greenie". He was not the overall closest to the pin and he was not the only bird on the hole.

No it wasn't to tell you about my eagle. To me on this particular hole that it not much of an acomplishment. I mean I'm very happy to have it but this is a pretty easy hole to get there in two so I question it even being a par 5.

It was just me and the tool for the closest to the pin as far as the skins went but it was the entire group for the normal "greenie". He was not the overall closest to the pin and he was not the only bird on the hole.

No it wasn't to tell you about my eagle. To me on this particular hole that it not much of an acomplishment. I mean I'm very happy to have it but this is a pretty easy hole to get there in two so I question it even being a par 5.

Sounds like an easy hole. I might be able to pull a 7 or 8 on it.