[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For the Video Gamers out there

Big Country

I've got a PS2. Haven't played a game in probably almost a year. Busy with kids and all that jazz. I didn't even buy Madden last year for the first time in many years, and that generally is the only game I buy in a year. So you can tell that at best I am a casual gamer. Been thinking that maybe on the night or two where I get an hour or two to myself I may enjoy finding a game to play rather than playing cards or watching some boring show on TV.

What are some good one player games? I'm not looking to upgrade to a PS3 at this point.

How are the Tiger Woods games for one player? Is it challening enough where I won't be crushing the AI players on the harder levels like can be done in Madden? Are there any other non-major sport games that are good (tennis, pool, etc.)?

I'm not a hugh fan of shoot em ups or role playing games, so the Tomb Raider type of games are out unless there is something that I should strongly reconsider my stance on.

Appreciate any insight.

my answer: gran turismo 4.

you might also think about something like one of the ratchet and clank games, or something from the jak series. they're sorta shoot em up/role playing, but a fun way to kill some time. OR, get god of war.

personally, i'm not a hugh fan of the sports games, so i'm not much help there.

I didn't get the 1st God of War...but I got God of War 2...

it's the only PS2 single-player game I've played in awhile aside from Resident Evil 4...

these are the only single player PS2 games I've played in the past year....or even further..

I'm more of a FPS player myself

An oldie, but still fun..... GTA Vice City

Any of the Call of Duties, or Far Cry

May want to rent one and try it out.....

You can't go wrong with GTA III. . .an all time great. It's a first ballot gaming HOF'er. Nothing better after a hard day than coming home and taking to some hookers with a flamethrower. . .

i would have to say god of war or god of war II. there's a lot of button-mashing, but the puzzles are really inventive, so it's not just a beat-em-up type game. i rarely play adventure games all the way through, but i was addicted to both of these and finished them both. they're perfect for playing an hour or two at a time.

i haven't played many PS2 sports games in a while, but the NBA Street series was always pretty good, and i'm not even a big fan of the nba. it's more arcade-style playground hoops. i think the last one for the PS2 was NBA Street V3. you should also check out Fight Night Round 3 -- i played the Xbox 360 version, which was great. the PS2 version should be pretty similar.

and i know you said no shooting games, but Resident Evil 4 was a great game. it's slower-paced, so you're not just running and gunning.

Edited by montster

i would have to say god of war or god of war II. there's a lot of button-mashing, but the puzzles are really inventive, so it's not just a beat-em-up type game. i rarely play adventure games all the way through, but i was addicted to both of these and finished them both. they're perfect for playing an hour or two at a time.

i haven't played many PS2 sports games in a while, but the NBA Street series was always pretty good, and i'm not even a big fan of the nba. it's more arcade-style playground hoops. i think the last one for the PS2 was NBA Street V3. you should also check out Fight Night Round 3 -- i played the Xbox 360 version, which was great. the PS2 version should be pretty similar.

and i know you said no shooting games, but Resident Evil 4 was a great game. it's slower-paced, so you're not just running and gunning.

I've had GoW2 since it came out and I just stopped playing because I can't play any game all the way through...

I am at the very-very end and just haven't found the need to play for whatever reason..

the only games I recall playing all the way through were Batman Begins and Resistance on PS3...Resistance actually kept my attention for 3 weeks...

I didn't get the 1st God of War...but I got God of War 2...

it's the only PS2 single-player game I've played in awhile aside from Resident Evil 4...

these are the only single player PS2 games I've played in the past year....or even further..

Go get GoW 1. I think it was better. A bit more challenging too.

The GoW games get my vote.

Any of the Tom Clancy games are good for 1 player.

Conflict Vietnam was one of my ps2 fav's. Took me a week to beat each level. You really have to manage your team and ammo and you only get one restart per level so you have to use it once you think youre half through. Very realistic.

That cowboy game was pretty awesome too but I cant remember the name... anyone? It was a little quick to beat but rocked as far as gameplay and innovation.

That cowboy game was pretty awesome too but I cant remember the name... anyone? It was a little quick to beat but rocked as far as gameplay and innovation.

Gun?

Any of the Tom Clancy games are good for 1 player.

Conflict Vietnam was one of my ps2 fav's. Took me a week to beat each level. You really have to manage your team and ammo and you only get one restart per level so you have to use it once you think youre half through. Very realistic.

Broke Back Mountain?

Since you asked about it, you sound like the perfect Tiger Woods fan to me.

It has a career mode that will keep you entertained for quite a while -- you create your own player, and build up his skills over time by playing in tournaments (there's a calendar) and "challenges" like driving. Eventually you'll get to a point where you'll bomb 400+ yard drives, sure, and putting becomes very easy, but even then there are a few fantasy courses that include stuff like 720-yard par 5s that keep things entertaining.

It's designed for one player who likes to play in about 45-minute spurts, which is about the time it takes to complete 18 holes, or a couple of hours for a tournament. Tiger even talks smack to you once in a while. It's a great way to relax and kill some time, and it doesn't require any more commitment than you care to give it, which makes it ideal for a casual gamer.

Fight Night Round 3 is a great game. When boxing games are done well, they're a ton of fun. This one hits the mark. It's on the bargain rack of most stores.

Guitar Hero is more fun than it sounds. I bought Guitar Hero for my 360 when it came out. Being able to "play" Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Foo Fighters is very fun. I was unable to convince my wife that it made me look cool to play a small replica of a guitar while hooked up to a video game. I still disagree.

Lego Star Wars (either version). There are two Lego Star Wars games. The first one is episodes 1-3. The second on is episodes 4-6. If you're a fan of Star Wars at all, you'll love the games. These two games are the best Star Wars games to ever try and cover the movie stories. Great fun.

If you're looking for a sports game, try NHL 07. Hockey games translate very well to video game land. If you know what a one-timer, deke, or hip-check is, you'll have fun with a hockey game.

I've really enjoyed playing on the 360. I've had a lot of video game consoles over the years, and this is by far my favorite on ever. The Xbox Live Arcade is a great concept. You can download quick-to-learn games for $5-$10 for most of them. They have classic games (Frogger, Pac Man, Galaga) and new games.

Edited by Egret

Since you asked about it, you sound like the perfect Tiger Woods fan to me.

It has a career mode that will keep you entertained for quite a while -- you create your own player, and build up his skills over time by playing in tournaments (there's a calendar) and "challenges" like driving. Eventually you'll get to a point where you'll bomb 400+ yard drives, sure, and putting becomes very easy, but even then there are a few fantasy courses that include stuff like 720-yard par 5s that keep things entertaining.

It's designed for one player who likes to play in about 45-minute spurts, which is about the time it takes to complete 18 holes, or a couple of hours for a tournament. Tiger even talks smack to you once in a while. It's a great way to relax and kill some time, and it doesn't require any more commitment than you care to give it, which makes it ideal for a casual gamer.

Can you pause and save mid round/tournament? With young kids, sometimes when I think I have free time suddenly becomes calm crying baby time.

Gun was a great game, but a shooter and you mentioned not liking those.

Downhill Domination is a kickass downhill mountain biking game

Burnout the Revenge is a cool racing game that rewards dangerous driving

Gladius is a tatics game where you run a gladiator school - big big fan of this one

This thread has me thinking about pulling the old x-box out of the mothballs. I probably haven't touched it for 3-4 years now I think.

Do they still make games for the original x-box?

They're not really making new games for the original xbox. There's a few, but not many. They're not making the old xbox anymore.

Go buy some used games from the nerdy cashier at a video game store. The games will be new to you! :D