[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

china overtakes u.s.

tonorator

we've lost our edge ....

China has overtaken the United States as the world's biggest producer of carbon dioxide, the chief greenhouse gas, figures released today show.

The surprising announcement will increase anxiety about China's growing role in driving man-made global warming and will pile pressure onto world politicians to agree a new global agreement on climate change that includes the booming Chinese economy. China's emissions had not been expected to overtake those from the US, formerly the world's biggest polluter, for several years, although some reports predicted it could happen as early as next year.

:D

are you talking about your avatar? is that legal? :D

It's just a girl and her mouse. Leave her out of this.

China's position on CO2 emissions is simply, we won't stop until we've caught up to the US economically. They don't care and there's not anyone this planet to make them change their position.

As I write this , china just produced 1000 barbie dolls , 643 patio umbrellas , 297 pairs of shoes , 150 machine guns , 17 tanks and 2 tall sky scrapers

It will get much worse before it gets better , if it does at all

we get the barbies, umbrellas, and shoes....iran and nkorea get the guns and tanks

We are killing this planet

Does anyone here seriously care? I mean I dont mean to sound like ima Green freak but it does concern me...our kids are up for a big challenge.

You think man is important enough to kill this planet?

We may just be stupid enough & strong enough to kill off ourselves (though with the exception of religious extremism I doubt that will happen), but this planet will go merrily about its way no matter what we as a species manage to do. All we may do to this plant is create some very minor temporary glitches.

we've lost our edge ....

Actually, the US is somewhat efficient about it CO2 emissions. Measured in terms of tons/$ of GDP, the US is the fourth most efficient nation behind only Japan (which doesn't manufacture much), Germany and France (they don't count BO as emissions).

Canada is a bigger polluter per production unit, as are Mexico and the big three cesspools (Russia, India, China). Russia for example produces more than 6 times as much CO2 per $ of GDP than us greenies here in America. Food for thought.

This is where stupid political decision making is going to cost us. Selective science, ignoring facts, etc.

We could be embracing the notion that not only is this stuff contributing to global warming, but we could (if people could simply accept that) be putting resources into technologies that will clear the air better, which we can then sell to this hugh economy to replace what we've lost to outsourcing the past few years. We need to keep evolving or we're going to slip back into the pack. We've lost out in the transportation industry, the IT support industry and have replaced thsoe jobs with....more Wal-Marts and $8/hr jobs.

Where's that link Az put up about th guy who firgured out how to turn smokestacks into bongs to clean emissions?

This is where stupid political decision making is going to cost us. Selective science, ignoring facts, etc.

We could be embracing the notion that not only is this stuff contributing to global warming, but we could (if people could simply accept that) be putting resources into technologies that will clear the air better, which we can then sell to this hugh economy to replace what we've lost to outsourcing the past few years. We need to keep evolving or we're going to slip back into the pack. We've lost out in the transportation industry, the IT support industry and have replaced thsoe jobs with....more Wal-Marts and $8/hr jobs.

Where's that link Az put up about th guy who firgured out how to turn smokestacks into bongs to clean emissions?

And who exactly do you think is going to end up paying for all these superb technological advances that you're projecting - that doesn't increase productivity by one iota, I might add?

Let's see - significantly more cost, no increased economy or production. And it's the politicans that are stupid?

Edited by Bronco Billy

I'm not sure if you were trying to be funny, but there's no question that Wal Mart is a hugh contributer to China's growth.

Not being funny at all. My feelings toward them are well-documented here.

China is going to rule the world, $9.99 at a time.

And who exactly do you think is going to end up paying for all these superb technological advances that you're projecting - that doesn't increase productivity by one iota, I might add?

Let's see - significantly more cost, no inceased economy or production. And it's the politicans that are stupid?

Focusing only on moves that affect GDP could be seen as a rather myopic worldview, BB. If you accept that Gore's little movie is based largely on scientific fact, (that's a big IF for some, but it worked for me personally,) then we may have to do some things as a global community to protect the future of this planet that have nothing to do with increasing GDP in the short term.

Kinda like a business doing 'structural support' activities that don't increase profits in the short run, but in the long run add to their capabilities to sustain and/or improve profits. Those things include company picnics/parties, new desks, IT equipment, etc. Ya know?

But getting the developing countries to see our view (from our comfortable perch atop Maslow's Hieracrchy of Needs Pyramid,) when they feel they are just rightfully playing catch-up economically, is the tough part. Europe trying to tell us this back in the late 1800's/early 1900's would've fallen on deaf ears too...

Its a big problem, and there are no easy answers...

You lost me right there. Gore's little movie is largely a work of fiction.

That's fair enough. But it does make it hard for either side to consider anything else that follows from the other side, as to conclusions, viable solutions, etc. Conversations just go in circles then, kinda like many of those I have with my wife......

Asia will own us very soon. Let them deal with our air when they do.

I don't blame Wal-Mart as much as the people driving around in their POS ricers thinking they are superior to American cars. Where do you think all that money is going when you buy a Mitsubishi Zero?

I let the '94 run for 30 minutes the other day to charge up the battery. I'm doing my part, but can't do it alone.

I told the green guy here at work I was gonna floor my car a little more often to make up for the fact I'll be getting some CFLs in the house! :D

Where is the love for Arnold's solar incentive in California? Changes are being made, they just won't be overnight. And especially with an up and coming China who will do whatever they can quickly to get all of their population in the economic mix. There is a cost for this new and improved technology, and the average Chinese ain't gonna be able to pay for it. I think that is why mature power sources are going to have to run their course in China before the other "faddish" type power sources come online there.