[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

images that captured the world

tonorator

I admit I'm not familiar with the Omayra Sánchez story from that picture. That's terribly sad, but why couldn't a few guys dig her out? I don't understand and wiki really doesn't say. I see that concrete trapped her, but you think they could've moved it somehow to free her in the 3 days or so it took her to die.

I admit I'm not familiar with the Omayra Sánchez story from that picture. That's terribly sad, but why couldn't a few guys dig her out? I don't understand and wiki really doesn't say. I see that concrete trapped her, but you think they could've moved it somehow to free her in the 3 days or so it took her to die.

Or sealed around her and siphoned off the water.

Apparently there were hundred of people trapped as she was.

Edited by cre8tiff

I have "Lunch atop a Skyscraper" on the wall in my office. If OSHA was around back then, they would take the prime contractor and the steel erector to jail for that.

My fear of heights does not allow me to look at that photo very long! :D

Some truly amazing photography there and some truly amazing people that took those photos.

According to Wikipedia, the dude that took the pic of the vulture and the starving child stood there for 20 minutes hoping the vulture would spread his wings so he could get a better shot. Makes him an assholio in my book for not helping the starving kid get to the food center.

According to Wikipedia, the dude that took the pic of the vulture and the starving child stood there for 20 minutes hoping the vulture would spread his wings so he could get a better shot. Makes him an assholio in my book for not helping the starving kid get to the food center.

This is a hard call--first off, given that none of us are directly working to help starving kids around the world it seems somewhat hypocritical to criticize someone else for not helping; secondly, and likely more importantly, the more heartwrenching the photo, the more likely it is that more aid might be forthcoming that could end up helping people much more than any other action that the photographer could have done right then and there.

This is a hard call--first off, given that none of us are directly working to help starving kids around the world it seems somewhat hypocritical to criticize someone else for not helping; secondly, and likely more importantly, the more heartwrenching the photo, the more likely it is that more aid might be forthcoming that could end up helping people much more than any other action that the photographer could have done right then and there.

Good points as usual Wiegie....I'll give the guy a partial pass.

Haunted by the horrific images from Sudan, Carter committed suicide in 1994 soon after receiving the award.