[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The American Film Institute's new list of the top-100 films all-time

wiegie

Trust me, you will grow out your Izro (Jewish afro) and be repreZENTin' the yarmulke and beard.

For a screen name like Chavez, you sure know your Yiddich (says the guy with the Arab screen name).

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not that keen on film comedies myself but Blazing Saddles, The Producers and Airplane would be worthy, IMO.

Comedies are just a different breed, but they can have a similar impact or a place in film history as much as many drama can. Airplane would be on my greatest comedy list as well.

I have not seen these movies:

24. "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial," 1982.

49. "Intolerance," 1916.

78. "Modern Times," 1936.

91. "Sophie's Choice," 1982.

96. "Do the Right Thing," 1989.

For those that don't follow these sort of things....Citizen Kane has been the #1 movie of all time forever. I have never seen a list that did not have Citizen Kane at the top. Probably the greatest movie ever made IMHO.

You haven't seen E.T.? My God, I thought everyone has seen that like they've seen Star Wars. I am always shocked to hear that someone has not seen some movies and E.T. is one of them. That said, I think it's an overrated movie (and I am a big fan of Speilberg).

Of the Top 10, I never saw Schindler's List. Seeing that doesn't sound like a way I want to spend a Saturday night.

Great, powerful film. I think I've seen it twice and don't know that I'll ever need to see it again.

4. "Raging Bull," 1980.

8. "Schindler's List," 1993.

23. "The Grapes of Wrath," 1940.

72. "The Shawshank Redemption," 1994.

89. "The Sixth Sense," 1999.

these are all too high, IMO. raging bull is a great flick, but 4th best american film ever? not quite. schindler's list was pretty good...but not top 10 material, IMO. grapes of wrath was a good adaptation of the book, but not really a groundbreaking film in any way. shawshank....again, good, but great? meh. just seems to get more overrated with time, if you ask me. 6th sense was barely better than mediocre.

You are smoking crack. :D Schindler's List and Shawshank are absolutley worthy. I happen to be a big fan The Sixth Sense, but I guess a case could be made against it being in the top 100 whereas IMO SL and Shawshank must be in the top 100.

Never saw Grapes of Wrath so I cannot comment. I agree with you on Raging Bull. It is a bit high.

For a screen name like Chavez, you sure know your Yiddich (says the guy with the Arab screen name).

What, you sayin' I should just do Cheech Marin routines and give refried bean recipes? Huh? HUH? :D

:D

Edited by Chavez

You haven't seen E.T.? My God, I thought everyone has seen that like they've seen Star Wars. I am always shocked to hear that someone has not seen some movies and E.T. is one of them. That said, I think it's an overrated movie (and I am a big fan of Speilberg).

I went through that list three times.... how did I miss that? I have never seen Star Wars.

I have E.T. on VHS but have never seen it. Really have no desire to see it actually. Whenever I feel the need to see the newest Barrymore in a movie I prefer Firestarter. LOL

Interesting to see that none of the Dirty Harry movies made the list. Also, The French Connection was a killer flick. Was that an American movie? :D I also enjoyed the Tom Clancey series of movies The Hunt for Red October, Clear and Present Danger, etc. Not a Costner fan but Dances With Wolves was an awesome flick. Overall a good list though. I have to make a point in seeing some of the older movies and I'm no young buck anymore.

96. "Do the Right Thing," 1989.

Wasn't there enormous outcry from the black community that "do the right thing" wasn't on the original list? Way to throw Spike Lee a bone, AFI. . .

::stirringthepot:: But it's sooooo boring. . .

Must be because it is in black (grey) and white? From my point of view...and a whole lot of other points of view.....of all the things it might be...it sure isn't boring.

My grandkids were the same way about a film not being in color....until I had them sit through some classics and they got the point. A great movie is a great movie...no matter if it has color or not.

Must be because it is in black (grey) and white? From my point of view...and a whole lot of other points of view.....of all the things it might be...it sure isn't boring.

My grandkids were the same way about a film not being in color....until I had them sit through some classics and they got the point. A great movie is a great movie...no matter if it has color or not.

Psycho proves that point beyond doubt.

I don't think B&W is the reason. . .

Duck Soup, Schindler's List, Modern Times, Raging Bull, Psycho, On the Waterfront, Wonderful Life, Maltese Falcon, Strangelove

All B&W, all masterpieces.

Too many musicals. Who cares about musicals? I think to be in the AFI you have to have weird movie tastes by definition.

And how has someone never seen Casablanca?

Good question. It's running time is like 65 minutes. It's not like it'll take a lot of effort to sit down and check it out.

Saw it in the theater the day it came out. Spent most of the film crying. It's one of the most powerful films ever made. It's a masterpiece. I was never so proud to be Jewish. I vowed that day I'd never see it again. I haven't seen it since.

For some unknown reason, I saw Schindler's List on acid. Very powerful movie.

I went through that list three times.... how did I miss that? I have never seen Star Wars.

I have E.T. on VHS but have never seen it. Really have no desire to see it actually. Whenever I feel the need to see the newest Barrymore in a movie I prefer Firestarter. LOL

Star Wars is a classic. I'd recommend popping Star Wars in the VCR before E.T..

Firestarter. That was the last time when Barrymore wasn't messed up, right?

I must have missed Caddyshack, the Usual Suspects and Gladiator... right?

Yeah, Gladiator is another movie that deserves top 100 consideration! :D

"on the Beach"

"Dog day afternoon"

"Summer Place"

"El Cid"

"Pride and passion"

"Dr Zhavago"

"Good Morning Vietnam"

"Pawnbroker"

"Giant"

"Exodus"

"Ten Commandments"

I would like to see the complete listing that they voted on.

Atomic says I'm told old to remember chit! :D

Ya got him good Jack! :tup:

I never said you can't remember.

... did I? :D

Honestly though... that movie was made 15 years before I was born, so I wouldn't have remembered it.

IBack in the day though, I definitely would have tapped me some Ava Gardner though. Meow!

I never said you can't remember.

... did I? :D

Honestly though... that movie was made 15 years before I was born, so I wouldn't have remembered it.

IBack in the day though, I definitely would have tapped me some Ava Gardner though. Meow!

Puleeezzzeeee! :D

Some of my favorite movies are from the 30's! YES, it was before I was born. Any Jimmy Cagney movie, IMHO, deserves to be on that list. The Stooges, Marx Bros, were some of the best comedy ever writ!

Rita Hayworth...

Yet again....

And again....

Susan Hayward....

Liz Taylor....

THAT was Hollywood at it's finest!

Edited by rocknrobn26

Puleeezzzeeee! :D

Some of my favorite movies are from the 30's! YES, it was before I was born. Any Jimmy Cagney movie, IMHO, deserves to be on that list. The Stooges, Marx Bros, were some of the best comedy ever writ!

Rita Hayworth...

Yet again....

And again....

Susan Hayward....

Liz Taylor....

THAT was Hollywood at it's finest!

The acting was so overdone in many of the "olden days" movies. I just can't get past it most of the time.

The acting was so overdone in many of the "olden days" movies. I just can't get past it most of the time.

I agree, for the most part. But one of these that is on all the time, and if you haven't seen it yet, please do yourself a HUGH favor. Take the time to sit down and watch "Twelve Angry Men". :D:D

The omission that jumped out at me, was "The Sting".

24. "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial," 1982.

Ursa got a senior discount when he saw this in the theatre

and how is Braveheart not on this list ???