[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The American Film Institute's new list of the top-100 films all-time

wiegie

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, for the most part. But one of these that is on all the time, and if you haven't seen it yet, please do yourself a HUGH favor. Take the time to sit down and watch "Twelve Angry Men". :D:D

The omission that jumped out at me, was "The Sting".

Saw 12 Angry Men a while ago, but I agree that it is one of the better acted oldies.

I must have missed Caddyshack, the Usual Suspects and Gladiator... right?

I love Caddyshack but I don't think anyone should be confusing it with "great" movies.

I love Caddyshack but I don't think anyone should be confusing it with "great" movies.

I happen to think Caddyshack is a bit overrated, BUT "great" movies are so subjective. A movie that makes you laugh and feel good can be great in the same way The Godfather, Shawshank, or Citizen Kane can move you dramatically.

Some of the "greatest" movies IMO are comedies, but I don't devalue the "great" dramas simply because they have little humor.

Edited by TDFFFreak

"great" movies are so subjective. A movie that makes you laugh and feel good can be great in same way The Godfather, Shawshank, or Citizen Kane can move you dramatically.

Some of the "greatest" movies IMO are comedies, but I don't devalue the "great" dramas simply because they have little humor.

I think you can make somewhat of an objective framework in which to subjectively judge "greatness"; my problem is that many people seem to think a "great" movie (or artist, or song, or whatever) is synonymous with their "favorite." Sometimes you have to take the blinders off and try to look outside your own head - a few of my "favorite" films I have NO illusions about as to their "greatness" - I can re-watch the crap out of The Warriors or Phantom of the Paradise or Slap Shot, but I know they don't possess that ineffable spark of "greatness."

They DO, however, possess the ineffable spark of "awesomeness."

There is no value in excellent dialog, masterful comedic acting, suspenseful action, and puppetry?

You shut the hell up, Chavez. You're just mad because El Mariachi and The Motorcycle Diaries aren't on the list... and Sabado Gigante wasn't eligible.

There is no value in excellent dialog, masterful comedic acting, suspenseful action, and puppetry?

There is tremendous value in all of those. Caddyshack, unfortunately, has only one of those things going for it (well, two, but the puppetry isn't much to crow about).

I think you can make somewhat of an objective framework in which to subjectively judge "greatness"; my problem is that many people seem to think a "great" movie (or artist, or song, or whatever) is synonymous with their "favorite." Sometimes you have to take the blinders off and try to look outside your own head - a few of my "favorite" films I have NO illusions about as to their "greatness" - I can re-watch the crap out of The Warriors or Phantom of the Paradise or Slap Shot, but I know they don't possess that ineffable spark of "greatness."

They DO, however, possess the ineffable spark of "awesomeness."

Yeah, I'd absolutley agree with that, but still I believe Animal House (and others) to be "great" in terms of comedic movies and movies in general.

I happen to love The Jerk and think it's one of the best comedies ever made. Do I think it should be in the top 100 films ever made according to the AFI list? No way. Do I think it's as worthwhile as a film as a representitive of the comedic genre? Absolutely. It was one of the originals in modern day comedy (late 70s and beyond, not the classics such as Charlie Chaplin or Laurel & Hardy era) in highlighting the singular comedic talents of an actor (Steve Martin in this case) who could carry a film and make it great to boot.

I just take exception with these lists because they say drama is more worthy than comedy. I think comedy is as important as any drama and would like to see lists such as this reflect that. Not to mention, it'd be nice to see comedies regularly nominated and occasionally win an Academy Award.

As I said, I don't devalue dramas, but comedies need far more consideration as "great" movies.

Edited by TDFFFreak

Yeah, I'd absolutley agree with that, but still I believe Animal House (and others) to be "great" in terms of comedic movies and movies in general.

I'd agree that Animal House is absolute genius. I will maintain that Caddyshack is not.

I just take exception with these lists because they say drama is more worthy than comedy. I think comedy is as important as any drama and would like to see lists such as this reflect that. Not to mention, it'd be nice to see comedies regularly nominated and occasionally win an Academy Award.

As I said, I don't devalue dramas, but Comedies need far more consideration as "great" movies.

I agree with this 100%. Knocked Up and Hot Fuzz, to name two films this year, are absolutely brilliant, with some great performances, and will probably get overlooked at Oscar time because they are comedies (well, and Hot Fuzz because it's foreign).

I'd agree that Animal House is absolute genius. I will maintain that Caddyshack is not.

I agree with this 100%. Knocked Up and Hot Fuzz, to name two films this year, are absolutely brilliant, with some great performances, and will probably get overlooked at Oscar time because they are comedies (well, and Hot Fuzz because it's foreign).

We are in agreement then. Animal House is waaaaaaaaay better then the okay, but overrrated Caddyshack.

I'm going to kill you.

The Scots are a rugged, tough people who are not to be f*cked with.

Fortunately, all that was bred out of Atomic's line by the time he was born. I fear not.

:D And you once changed your screen name to Carl Spackler. :D

I could've just as easily gone with Moe Wanszak, it doesn't mean Slap Shot would've been the greatest movie ever.

The Scots are a rugged, tough people who are not to be f*cked with.

Fortunately, all that was bred out of Atomic's line by the time he was born. I fear not.

:doh:

Never trust a Columbian.

Unless you're buying coffee. Good ole Juan Valdez..... How can you not trust that man? On the other hand, Chavez's lineage, I dare to say, is not into coffee beans. Whatelse is it that they grow in Columbia? :D ..... :D ...... :tup:

Every time I see one of these lists, I say to myself that I need to watch some of those older movies, 'cause they must be good. So I ordered Casablanca from Netflix. Guess what? It sucked. Big time. Horrible movie. Now I no longer have any desire to see any of them. I haven't seen Citizen Kane, but probably will. I just don't see how Casablanca is so high. I can think of hundreds of movies I'd rather see. The earlier post about the acting being so over the top is spot on. I should also mention that I have seen, and thoroughly enjoyed To Kill a Mockingbird. I'm not against black and white movies with a good story line.

Empire Strikes Back should be on the list. Shawshank should be higher. 12 Monkeys should be on the list too. Best time travel movie ever.

Edited by CaptainHook

Every time I see one of these lists, I say to myself that I need to watch some of those older movies, 'cause they must be good. So I ordered Casablanca from Netflix. Guess what? It sucked. Big time. Horrible movie. Now I no longer have any desire to see any of them. I haven't seen Citizen Kane, but probably will. I just don't see how Casablanca is so high. I can think of hundreds of movies I'd rather see. The earlier post about the acting being so over the top is spot on. I should also mention that I have seen, and thoroughly enjoyed To Kill a Mockingbird. I'm not against black and white movies with a good story line.

Wow. Casablanca sucked....I just can't imagine that; it's like someone not liking Duck Soup.

My take on why Casablanca rules is that it was decidedly a "B" picture - Bergman and Bogie were NOT big stars at the time of its filming, and there was no A-list talent dedicated to it. But through some perfect storm, Bogie and Bergman's chemistry and charisma melded with a perfectly witty script (not to mention Claude Rains' awesome job as the chief of police) to create a grand, romantic story. Its a case of a movie being better than it really had a right to be and catching that spark.

But hey, it didn't do it for you. I think To Kill a Mockingbird is lame, myself.

Wow. Casablanca sucked....I just can't imagine that; it's like someone not liking Duck Soup.

My take on why Casablanca rules is that it was decidedly a "B" picture - Bergman and Bogie were NOT big stars at the time of its filming, and there was no A-list talent dedicated to it. But through some perfect storm, Bogie and Bergman's chemistry and charisma melded with a perfectly witty script (not to mention Claude Rains' awesome job as the chief of police) to create a grand, romantic story. Its a case of a movie being better than it really had a right to be and catching that spark.

But hey, it didn't do it for you. I think To Kill a Mockingbird is lame, myself.

You racist. Why don't you and H8 go on a romantic vacation somewhere nice and discuss the rise of the master race. :D

(P.S. I'm a fan of Mockingbird. Well, we'll always have Animal House... :D )

I love old black and white movies. My favorite all time might just be The Philadelphia Story. Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart in one movie. :D

Of course, I'd watch just about any movie with any of those three in it.

Every time I see one of these lists, I say to myself that I need to watch some of those older movies, 'cause they must be good. So I ordered Casablanca from Netflix. Guess what? It sucked. Big time. Horrible movie.

well, that says more about your taste (or lack thereof) than it does about casablanca. that is just a phenomenally good movie on every level.

Shawshank should be higher.

for the guy dissing casablanca to say so makes me feel even better about calling it overrated :D

12 Angry Men was a play before it was brought to the screen. It is one of the few times I've seen a successful adaptation from one to th e other. I just remember being blown away by this movie the first time I saw it. Very powerful.

ok everybody....if you had to put together a personal top 10 ONLY from that list, what would it be?

3. "Casablanca," 1942.

12. "The Searchers," 1956.

27. "High Noon," 1952.

2. "The Godfather," 1972.

21. "Chinatown," 1974.

92. "Goodfellas," 1990.

1. "Citizen Kane," 1941.

32. "The Godfather Part II," 1974.

79. "The Wild Bunch," 1969.

7. "Lawrence of Arabia," 1962.

just missed the list....

33. "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," 1975.

54. "M-A-S-H," 1970.

74. "The Silence of the Lambs," 1991.