[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The American Film Institute's new list of the top-100 films all-time

wiegie

Put me there also! The list is "BEST Movies", no genre/age/actors included!

Those oldies can hang w/ the best of all time! And for those that like the cult flicks like Star Wars, and Star Trek, they are what they are.....cult flicks! I'm surprised that no one mentioned Rocky! :D

If SW and Trek are "cult" films, that's a Catholic-sized cult.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My top 10

71. "Saving Private Ryan," 1998.

77. "All the President's Men," 1976.

21. "Chinatown," 1974.

26. "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," 1939.

50. "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," 2001.

65. "The African Queen," 1951.

48. "Rear Window," 1954.

94. "Pulp Fiction," 1994.

84. "Easy Rider," 1969.

66. "Raiders of the Lost Ark," 1981.

I have never seen, but want to:

4. "Raging Bull," 1980.

7. "Lawrence of Arabia," 1962.

25. "To Kill a Mockingbird," 1962.

35. "Annie Hall," 1977.

67. "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?", 1966.

And I don't really get it. I love Kubrick and I've seen all of them... but Dr. Strangelove was disjointed, not that funny, and dead at parts. It's probably my least favorite of his movies as a complete film... although it's got a few good quotes and memorable images.

If SW and Trek are "cult" films, that's a Catholic-sized cult.

Yes it is! But cult none the less! If cult is too strong, then try limited audience. JMHO :D

Yes it is! But cult none the less! If cult is too strong, then try limited audience. JMHO :D

Yer on a losing argument here, RR.

TOTAL LIFETIME GROSSES

Domestic: $460,998,007 59.5%

+ Foreign: $314,400,000 40.5%

= Worldwide: $775,398,007

That's over 3/4 BILLION dollars. Not very limited.

Box Office Mojo

I think my friend is confusing a "cult" film with a "genre" picture.

This list is very mainstream, there isn't anything approaching a "cult" movie on it. Maybe Blade Runner, if you're really stretching it.

I think my friend is confusing a "cult" film with a "genre" picture.

This list is very mainstream, there isn't anything approaching a "cult" movie on it. Maybe Blade Runner, if you're really stretching it.

I may lose this argument, Ursa, but when a major hotel creates a large theme park type attraction from a TV series/movie....I'd call that cult(ish) not genre(ish). :oldrazz:

I may lose this argument, Ursa, but when a major hotel creates a large theme park type attraction from a TV series/movie....I'd call that cult(ish) not genre(ish). :oldrazz:

i think you're referring to "cult films" in a way that runs counter to how they are usually described. a cult film is one with a very devoted, but relatively small following. if it's got a theme-park, the film's following would necessarily have to be much larger than a "cult".

i think you're referring to "cult films" in a way that runs counter to how they are usually described. a cult film is one with a very devoted, but relatively small following. if it's got a theme-park, the film's following would necessarily have to be much larger than a "cult".

I dunno, I went on the "Pink Flamingoes" ride at Universal. It was AWESOME!!!

:D

"There's no hard-and-fast rule or checklist to gauge what makes a cult film. A cult film is often designated as such "in the eye of the beholder" without fufilling any definition. It's often a matter of opinion. One viewer's cult film may not be judged the same by another viewer. And just because a segment of devoted viewers (pre-teen girls) repeatedly watch a film - such as Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - to view its star Johnny Depp, or Titanic (1997) (to see Leonardo Di Caprio), or to view the latest George Lucas Star Wars film, doesn't make a film a cult film. However, there are the most popular cult films, such as The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) and any of the Star Trek films, that have developed cult followings with all the trappings."

http://www.filmsite.org/cultfilms.html

"There's no hard-and-fast rule or checklist to gauge what makes a cult film. A cult film is often designated as such "in the eye of the beholder" without fufilling any definition. It's often a matter of opinion. One viewer's cult film may not be judged the same by another viewer. And just because a segment of devoted viewers (pre-teen girls) repeatedly watch a film - such as Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - to view its star Johnny Depp, or Titanic (1997) (to see Leonardo Di Caprio), or to view the latest George Lucas Star Wars film, doesn't make a film a cult film. However, there are the most popular cult films, such as The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) and any of the Star Trek films, that have developed cult followings with all the trappings."

http://www.filmsite.org/cultfilms.html

uh huh, and the very first sentence from that link: "Cult Films have limited but very special appeal." that is exactly as i said. :D

Who wants to put on the purple robe, black Nikes and wait for the mothership with me?

<----

It's the pelvic thrust that really drives you IN-SA-A-A-A-A-ANE!!

uh huh, and the very first sentence from that link: "Cult Films have limited but very special appeal." that is exactly as i said. :D

Limited in SCOPE, not necessarily in number of viewers.

Like Rocky Horror, Star Trek has a large following, prolly larger. That, in itself, does not exclude it from cult status. It's the uber passionate fans (fanatics) that put it in that category. FWIW....I never watched the series more than once or twice and never watched the movies at all. Yup, I'm a Trek beegot! :tup:

BTW....thanks Sky! :D

i'm not sure i see the distinction, or why it's meaningful.

Like Rocky Horror, Star Trek has a large following, prolly larger. That, in itself, does not exclude it from cult status. It's the uber passionate fans (fanatics) that put it in that category. FWIW....I never watched the series more than once or twice and never watched the movies at all. Yup, I'm a Trek beegot! :D

BTW....thanks Sky! :D

well, star trek is the rare phenomenon having BOTH a cult (relatively small, totally dedicated, never-get-laid) following as well as a wider resonance with the mainstream culture. the theme park thing is evidence of the latter, despite the fact that the hardcore trekkie :nerd:s like timc are still small and goofy enough to maintain "cult" status.

well, star trek is the rare phenomenon having BOTH a cult (relatively small, totally dedicated, never-get-laid) following as well as a wider resonance with the mainstream culture. the theme park thing is evidence of the latter, despite the fact that the hardcore trekkie :nerd:s like timc are still small and goofy enough to maintain "cult" status.

Does waiting for the last chick in the bar to pass out in her own vomit count as getting laid? :D

Like Rocky Horror, Star Trek has a large following, prolly larger. That, in itself, does not exclude it from cult status. It's the uber passionate fans (fanatics) that put it in that category.

robn is going Thews on us, stand clear!

Sure, uber passionate fans are key - I think it's pretty stupid that they lump PotC and Titanic in as "cult" films - as far as I can tell, those "cults" died out fairly quickly - basically as soon as the next Tiger Beat cover boy made a movie. To me a "cult" for a film is a small, dedicated bunch of people that keep the film's legacy alive for decades, if necessary.

As Az said, ST and SW have their cultists, but they also had/have a broad mainstream appeal.

I think it's pretty stupid that they lump PotC and Titanic in as "cult" films

uhh, not really...

just because a segment of devoted viewers (pre-teen girls) repeatedly watch a film - such as Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - to view its star Johnny Depp, or Titanic (1997) (to see Leonardo Di Caprio), or to view the latest George Lucas Star Wars film, doesn't make a film a cult film.

The acting was so overdone in many of the "olden days" movies. I just can't get past it most of the time.

Yeah, I fall in to this category. I know I need to sit down and watch some of those older movies but some of the acting I've seen in the oldies is really...well, crappy and overdone.

Now...Duck Soup may have some promise...:D

I guess Harry Potter is a cult then.

Yeah, I fall in to this category. I know I need to sit down and watch some of those older movies but some of the acting I've seen in the oldies is really...well, crappy and overdone.

Now...Duck Soup may have some promise...:D

Duck Soup as a Marx Bros. comedy is supposed to be overdone so that works for me. In dramatic movies where people are supposed to be in distress, overacting kills the scene/movie often times.