[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Passport question

detlef

at this point, the extra fee to have them expedite is probably well worth it.

My kids passports arrived in less than three weeks with the expidited fee. Shocked rth he[[ out of me! :tup::D:D

• 2 weeks later...

So, on Monday I went to the post office and applied for my kid's passport. Requested and paid for expedited service including next-day mailing both ways.

Well, I just checked the status of his passport application online and it informs me that we have requested "routine service" and that the passport will arrive in 10-12 weeks. (And we are moving to Germany in about 6 weeks.)

I am now on hold waiting to speak to someone at the National Passport Information Center. (and I'm guessing I will be on hold for a long long time)

:D

I got through to "customer service" today. Our passports are "way down the line", even though we applied on April 2. They could not expedite them today because our departure is 15 days away. SO, I have to call again tomorrow (it took at least 8 calls to get through today), to request free expedition. They promise they can get it done before our trip if I get through to someone. RIGHT!, I'm making other arrangements. I have forked over another 100 bucks for duplicate birth certs and had to print out proof of application.

This may be the next greatest gubmet f*ckup since Katrina. Thank you Mr. Peppermint :D

Edited by whoopazz

So, on Monday I went to the post office and applied for my kid's passport. Requested and paid for expedited service including next-day mailing both ways.

Well, I just checked the status of his passport application online and it informs me that we have requested "routine service" and that the passport will arrive in 10-12 weeks. (And we are moving to Germany in about 6 weeks.)

I am now on hold waiting to speak to someone at the National Passport Information Center. (and I'm guessing I will be on hold for a long long time)

:D

woman on the phone said that since we weren't leaving within 14 days that she couldn't send them (whoever "them" is) an e-mail. I said, "Can't you at least tell them that we requested and paid for expedited service and they have us down for 'routine'?" and she said, "I guess I can do that."

I'm waiting until Tuesday and if it isn't fixed, I'm contacting my representative and senator to see what they can do.

Edited by wiegie

• 2 weeks later...

Best $100 I ever spent. Paid the extra for overnight roundtrip and speedy service. Got it less than 3 weeks after I sent it. That said, I think it's a crock that they have it set up that way. I mean, it seems like right now, if you pay the basic rate you can just piss off 'cause you may never get it at all. Why even bother offering that option?

That info will allow us to get back into the US (that is, records of application and a passport status report). However, Canada's entry rules still apply. That is, you need a passport (which I don't have yet), or a birth cert (which they took when I applied). I still don't see how I can get into Canada with neither.
If you still live near where you were born, check with the local board of healty, city/country clerk, etc. I know in my town it's just as simple as showing up, proving your identity (state driver's license is sufficient) and filling out a form for a replacement/duplicate. We even have the option of getting a certificate or a convenient wallet sized copy.

If you don't live close to your birthplace, still give them a call and see what the requirements are.

If you still live near where you were born, check with the local board of healty, city/country clerk, etc. I know in my town it's just as simple as showing up, proving your identity (state driver's license is sufficient) and filling out a form for a replacement/duplicate. We even have the option of getting a certificate or a convenient wallet sized copy.

If you don't live close to your birthplace, still give them a call and see what the requirements are.

:D He doesn't live close to his birthplace.

Update. I have secured duplicate birth certs for everyone, and it wasn't cheap. I also got the passport agency to expedite our passports free of charge, since we applied so long ago and are travelling in less than two weeks. They still would not guarantee that we'll have them on time. Talk about a clusterf*ck...But I think we'll be OK with photo IDs, duplicate birth certs, and proof of passport application (hopefully).

At this point, anyone that has not either paid for or forced expedited service is on hold. They told me that ours were no where near ready for processing, this after 14 weeks.

Update. I have secured duplicate birth certs for everyone, and it wasn't cheap. I also got the passport agency to expedite our passports free of charge, since we applied so long ago and are travelling in less than two weeks. They still would not guarantee that we'll have them on time. Talk about a clusterf*ck...But I think we'll be OK with photo IDs, duplicate birth certs, and proof of passport application (hopefully).

At this point, anyone that has not either paid for or forced expedited service is on hold. They told me that ours were no where near ready for processing, this after 14 weeks.

I've got to think that, based on how quickly mine got turned around and how slow they are if you don't pay for the quick, that they're getting enough expedite orders to keep them busy all day and must always do those first. Thus, the other pile never gets touched. It just keeps getting more and more backed up.

If they're not going to increase their staffing, they'd better at least have some provision that, once a non-expedite order has sat there for x amount of time, it gets mixed in with the expedited orders. I mean, mine got to me on the short end of the 2-3 week promised time so it's not like they couldn't have pushed me back a bit. They could have put me behind a bunch of normal orders that had been sitting for 2-3 months and still gotten it to me within the promised 3 weeks.

• 3 weeks later...