[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

surprise team this year

tarantula

It seems since the start of free agency in football, that at least one team comes from the bottom to be a contender the next year. What ''bottomfeeder'' team will finally have a breakout season this year???

And don`t say the cards; they are the popular pick the last couple of years and still always stink! :D

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im gonna go with my team, Buffalo. They were picked to be horrible last year, and they did pretty decent. Many are picking them to again be horrible, but that is fine by me. They have lost a lot of key players, but they filled the wholes for the most part.

CB is an area of concern, but if Youboty or Webster steps up, I think we will be ok.

WR - Lee Evans is a stud, but we need someone else to step up and take the pressure from him.

RB - Willis is over rated, and Lynch will more than compensate for his loss.

LB - We lost Fletcher and Spikes, but drafted Posluzny who should make an impact from the start. Ellison I think is the other starter, along with Crowell who is a stud himself.

OL was beefed up this offseason, but we'll see how that works out.

QB - Losman has only been getting better, and I think he might be the biggest surprise this year.

Im gonna go with my team, Buffalo. They were picked to be horrible last year, and they did pretty decent. Many are picking them to again be horrible, but that is fine by me. They have lost a lot of key players, but they filled the wholes for the most part.

CB is an area of concern, but if Youboty or Webster steps up, I think we will be ok.

WR - Lee Evans is a stud, but we need someone else to step up and take the pressure from him.

LB - We lost Fletcher and Spikes, but drafted Posluzny who should make an impact from the start. Ellison I think is the other starter, along with Crowell who is a stud himself.

QB - Losman has only been getting better, and I think he might be the biggest surprise this year.

I have to say that I absolutely agree with this assessment and think the Bills can make some noise.

I also think that the Bucs can also have a little turn around this year. Hopefully Caddy will be healthy for an extended period, Garcia will lead the offense and that in itself should create more opportunities, Galloway and Stovall/Clayton should benefit from Garcia, the offensive line should be better than last year and the defense will continue to hold their own. To bad they're in a division with the Panthers, Saints and lesser extent Falcons.

Edited by irish

:D

Tough schedule again this year, but they can surprise.

Dallas isnt a bottom feeder, but I fully expect them to surprise and be in the Super Bowl this yr. Romo will be better than last yr, and the OL has been upgraded, thus a better running game. If Spencer is anything close to Ware, this D is going to bring it.

Concerns, Deep Coverage from FS Hamlin

I'm going with the Cowboys. A lot of people are discounting them because of the coaching change, but I see it as a blessing, as Phillips is sure to get more out of that defense. Add to that Spencer or even better yet a healthy Greg Davis, and I think that defense is going to be one of the more exciting ones in the league. My only real concern is at safety, hopefully Phillips can devise a way to compensate for Roy Williams lack of coverage skills.

On offense, they have gotten better on the O-line. While they overpaid for Leonard Davis, he is still a very good upgrade over what they had. Romo has another year under his belt, so he should improve upon some of the mistakes he made last year. While he has been in the league for a while, last year was much like a rookie year for him. The play calling will be changed a little bit, but no much. They are deeper at WR this year than they were last year. I look forward to seeing a healthy Creighton. I'm also interested in what Jamel Richardson can do. He went to the CFL after his sophmore year at a JC to help support his struggling family. He's still young, and at 6-3, 220lbs with pretty good speed he could be a pleasant suprise.

Dallas isnt a bottom feeder, but I fully expect them to surprise and be in the Super Bowl this yr. Romo will be better than last yr, and the OL has been upgraded, thus a better running game. If Spencer is anything close to Ware, this D is going to bring it.

I'm going with the Cowboys. A lot of people are discounting them because of the coaching change, but I see it as a blessing, as Phillips is sure to get more out of that defense. Add to that Spencer or even better yet a healthy Greg Ellis, and I think that defense is going to be one of the more exciting ones in the league. My only real concern is at safety, hopefully Phillips can devise a way to compensate for Roy Williams lack of coverage skills.

On offense, they have gotten better on the O-line. While they overpaid for Leonard Davis, he is still a very good upgrade over what they had. Romo has another year under his belt, so he should improve upon some of the mistakes he made last year. While he has been in the league for a while, last year was much like a rookie year for him. The play calling will be changed a little bit, but no much. They are deeper at WR this year than they were last year. I look forward to seeing a healthy Creighton. I'm also interested in what Jamel Richardson can do. He went to the CFL after his sophmore year at a JC to help support his struggling family. He's still young, and at 6-3, 220lbs with pretty good speed he could be a pleasant suprise.

Come on guys, you can't pick the Cowboys as a surprise team for this year. As a fellow Cowboy fan this drives me crazy as we're not on the same level as the Bills, or Bucs or Browns! We're way better than that and basically most know that we have the best shot out of the 4 teams to win the NFC East and running through the NFC to the SB period. Surprise teams are teams from last year that sucked but will make a hugh rebound this year and the Cowboys just don't fit that description as we were already a solid squad that got better over the off-season.

Bucs... they won the division two years ago. They've spent the last 2-3 drafts and offseasons building their OL. Garcia is just the kind of veteran leadership they needed at QB. He hasn't even started a game for them yet but he's their best QB since Testaverde, and (not counting Young) might arguably be the best Tampa QB ever. Yes their D is getting up there but they can still play and are not as bad as last year's numbers suggest considering the awful play of the offense.

Cards... it's become cliche to pick them but there's no denying the improvements they've made this offseason. Whisenhunt adds competency in a position where it was previously lacking. Their offense is potent enough even with the abysmal run game however it was never emphasized as much as it will be under Whisenhunt. While their D definitely is not imposing... StL, SF, and SEA aren't exactly stopping anyone either. Add the bigeaters in this year's draft, Leinart's 2nd year and they could definitely win the weak NFC West.

Skins... by many measures they should've done better except for one major area-getting after the QB on D. While the offense was not spectacular they were very efficient... good YPC and protected the QB. They should also greatly benefit from a healthy Portis. However the inability to force turnovers and sacks absolutely doomed them last year as evidenced by the gawdy passing numbers allowed. Fletcher isn't a great LB and McIntosh is unproven but both should be upgrades over their LB starters from last season. Marcus Washington moves to SLB which is better suited for him. Add the tandem of Taylor/Landry (over Taylor/Archuleta???) and the Skins D should be improved. With the NFC East in flux (Giants losing Tiki and no major improvements on D, Philly's unsettled QB situation, and Dallas' new coach), the Skins, like the Bucs two years ago, can make some noise.

you cowboys fans are funny. Leonard's a scrub that you overpaid for and isn't going to start where you predicted he would/should. That O-line hasn't been upgraded.

Eagles are the class in that Division and will win it.

First, I gotta agree that Irish is right that the Cowboys really aren`t counted in this thread.

That being said, I am a HUGE Cowboys fan, [born and live in DFW area]. I agree that Romo will be much better NOT being under thumb of Parcells. My only concern on O`LINE is WHICH Flozell Adams will show up this year.Spencer could be an asset but much toooooooooooooo early to even speculate if even close to Ware. The `boys had had so many busts drafting DE , I know they are moving Spencer to linebacker. Just look at Pittman, Carver,Ekuban and others to show that Spencer isn`t a slam dunk yet.

I think that the 3 guys that will benefit most are Canty, Spears, and Roy Williams. Williams has been RIPPED for lack of coverage skills; but WHAT MOST PEOPLE DON`T REMEMBER is that he was NEVER NEVER NEVER a coverage guy going back to Oklahoma.He is a ballhawking maniac that plays best within 3 yards of scrimmage. It was Parcells bright idea to make him a centerfielder.

San Fran.

i would have guessed SF, too, except i read somewhere they had the worst point differential of any 7-9 team in history, in fact, IIRC, the had the worst point differential of any 6-10 team. There were way too many games where they were blown out early... and a weird fact, they outscored their opponents last year in the second half of games (!?!)

i do like the direction they are heading with Nolan and aggressive FA pick ups, but A Smith and the DEF will have to significantly improve just to get to 8-8 this year.

Miami may be a one year wonder with T Green and an aging DEF

STL could make the playoffs if their Red Zone OFF improves (and will with Bennett) and DEF isn't too bad

DET needs a productive RB and improved DEF

TB DEF is getting up there in age

My pick to shock this year is Houston Texans! Maybe not the playoffs, but they should be better with a new QB/RB combo, and improved DEF and the fact that TEN is going the wrong direction and they own JAX (who have their own QB problems). I see them going 8-8, which would suprise everybody...

you cowboys fans are funny. Leonard's a scrub that you overpaid for and isn't going to start where you predicted he would/should. That O-line hasn't been upgraded.

Another reason, besides the mini-games, to love loaf....

Detroit will be the surprise team this year because it just wouldn't be NFL preseason without someone saying how underrated the Lions are. (Of course, it wouldn't be the regular season if the Lions didn't end up falling flat on their faces, but we're not there yet.)

Edited by TDFFFreak

Minnesota

They'll win more than the 2 or 3 games most people seem to be predicting.

:D

You are correct!

Okay, he is correct. 4 games. :D

Write this down and get back to me after the season:

Indianapolis.

This is not a dynasty in the making. IF they make the PO's they will one and out....and I have strong doubts that they make the PO's.

Written down. As Indy will make the playoffs. Repeating however, is hard to do and the Pats are looking strong. Oh and the Cowboys will have something to say about winning the SB as well.

Edited by irish

Come on guys, you can't pick the Cowboys as a surprise team for this year. As a fellow Cowboy fan this drives me crazy as we're not on the same level as the Bills, or Bucs or Browns! We're way better than that and basically most know that we have the best shot out of the 4 teams to win the NFC East and running through the NFC to the SB period. Surprise teams are teams from last year that sucked but will make a hugh rebound this year and the Cowboys just don't fit that description as we were already a solid squad that got better over the off-season.

Surprise team, what the post suggests. It would surprise many if Dallas went to the Bowl. If this said sleeper team, then no the Cowboys wouldnt fit that criteria, but surprise team certainly can include the Boys.

Teams that went from 5 wins or less to the playoffs in recent years:

In 2006, the Saints went from 3 wins to 10 wins. The Jets went from 4 wins to 10 wins.

2005: Tampa Bay (5 to 11), Chicago (5 to 11)

2004: San Diego (4 to 12), Atlanta (5 to 11)

2003: Dallas (5 to 11)

2002: nobody

The candidates this year would be Oakland, Detroit, Tampa Bay, Cleveland, Arizona, and Washington.

Trying to find something in common.....

6 of the 7 turnaround teams had different QBs from the previous season (including players coming back from injury). Oakland, Tampa Bay, and Washington look to have different QBs in place. Maybe Cleveland as well.

6 of the teams also had new leading rushers from the previous season. Who does this fit? Cleveland definitely. Oakland probably. Detroit possibly, and Washington if Portis stays healthy.

6 of the teams had a new leading receiver from the previous season. Tough to say who this can apply to at this point, but the best potential for this stat appears to be Arizona. Maybe Oakland as well.

4 of the 7 turnaround teams had a new coach. This fits Oakland and Arizona. 1 other had a 2nd year coach. That fits Detroit.

4 of the 7 teams also ended up with top 10 defenses in points allowed, while 2 vaulted to top 10 scoring offenses. Tough to really foresee either of these criteria being met by Tampa Bay, Cleveland, or Washington. Oakland could have a good defense, Detroit and Arizona have very capable offenses.

The answer is there.....Oakland, Arizona, and Detroit have the best chances of being playoff teams next season.

Edited by godtomsatan

Leonard is going to surprise many this yr. This OL has certainly been upgraded with his addition. And Flozell is in his last yr of his contract, so Davis will move over there next yr. Flozell is getting up there in age, and isnt going to be worth 10 mil a yr down the road.

Eagles on Defense are suspect at best, especially LB and DL. But the Eagles have the best OL in the division and a weapon in Westbrook out of the backfield. Im not sure McNabb can cover up the hole at WR anymore. So I hardly think the Eagles are the class of the division. Many were surprised they won it last yr, especially at the midway point of the season when they were predicted to be left for dead.

And its because of posts like Loaf, who think Philly, or others who think Chicago is the class of the NFC, the reason why Dallas would be a surprise to many if they did in fact land in the bowl. Let alone with it all, which I certainly think is possible.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Leonard is going to surprise many this yr. This OL has certainly been upgraded with his addition. And Flozell is in his last yr of his contract, so Davis will move over there next yr. Flozell is getting up there in age, and isnt going to be worth 10 mil a yr down the road.

Eagles on Defense are suspect at best, especially LB and DL. But the Eagles have the best OL in the division and a weapon in Westbrook out of the backfield. Im not sure McNabb can cover up the hole at WR anymore. So I hardly think the Eagles are the class of the division. Many were surprised they won it last yr, especially at the midway point of the season when they were predicted to be left for dead.

And its because of posts like Loaf, who think Philly, or others who think Chicago is the class of the NFC, the reason why Dallas would be a surprise to many if they did in fact land in the bowl. Let alone with it all, which I certainly think is possible.

If Davis does good at guard, the Cowboys may go with McQuistan at left tackle. Everyone in organization seems to be high on him. That is if he doesn`t beat out Kosier at left guard first; which is a real possibility