[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

surprise team this year

tarantula

The Detroit Lions???

"The Detroit Lions haven't had a winning record since 2000 and haven't won 10 games since 1995. That's all going to change in 2007, according to quarterback Jon Kitna.

In March, Kitna said the Lions would win 10 games in 2007, but after seeing the team's schedule he adjusted his prediction -- higher.

"I'll keep to myself what I think we actually will win. But it's more than 10 games," Kitna said.

Part of the reason for Kitna's optimism is Calvin Johnson, the team's first-round draft pick.

"I don't like putting a lot of pressure on people, but Calvin Johnson, to me, will have about the same impact that Reggie Bush had in New Orleans," Kitna said. "He's everything that they said he was and more."

This is a summer, preseason right of passage. "This will be the Lions' year to surprise" is a statement that is as inevitable as birds flying south for the winter and the groundhog seeing his shadow...

:D

Edited by TDFFFreak

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SF 49er's

:D I can't say that I believe in Alex Smith, or that I think their defense is that great.

But in that division, if they steal (or earn) a few wins more than last year, they can win it.

Good analysis. I have placed my faith in you. I ordered non-refundable playoffs tickets for my son's Christmas present. He's two and I'm sure he'll just be getting the meaning of Christmas. Thank you. :D

I like berating the Lions organization like any good American, but truths be told, a stopped watch is right twice a day, and the hour is nigh....

I think the Packers can be a very solid team this year and I would say they can be a "surprise" team this season as well. I am not sure if they can win the division, but they will make a run for it and will be in the Wild Card race. Swerski is dead on about the defense. With Barnett and AJ Hawk, the linebacking crew is stellar. Collins is a young stud and if Woodson can play as well as he did last season, people should start looking out. The only real question mark I have about their team is their running game.

Yeah, I agree with that. I think that they get into the playoffs one way or another (especially in the wide-open NFC), but whether or not they actually win a playoff game is another matter.

Aaron Rodgers is your definition of "having all the pieces in place"? :D

You can't say much with certainty on Rodgers - at this point, he looks like worst case for him might be a Trent Dilfer/Kitna sorta guy - he will be able to lead a team but not carry it. And if they keep building on D and the OL, you can win with that guy.

You can't say much with certainty on Rodgers - at this point, it looks like best case for him might be a Trent Dilfer/Kitna sorta guy - he will be able to lead a team but not carry it. And if they keep building on D and the OL, you can win with that guy.

fixed

Edited by Crazysight

Rooke 1st post here, let the fun begin....

Right now the consensus about Tarvaris Jackson is 'garbage' in the fantasy football world. With good merit I might add. He didn't look all that great in the games he played, but what rookie thrown to the dogs late in the year ever does? I mean it's not like he came from So Cal, or Notre Dame, or <insert any other semi pro college team here> similar schools. But I'm telling you - this kid has something special and I hope the coaching staff of the Vikings can squeeze it out of him.

Early reports from the OTA's is that he's struggling. I'm anxious to see what he looks like the first couple preseason games before I decide. Daunte Culpepper looked 5 times as awful as Tarvaris his first year. I thought we were going to have a major crisis on our hands until he blew up.

Wrapping this up - one of the main strengths Tarvaris Jackson has that is hard to teach is touch on the ball on the short and medium range passes. It comes in at a good speed and arc for the receivers (when we actually get a good receiver that can catch lol). Not only that but the man does have a gun when he wants to.

Fantasy wise - he's a late round flyer at best at this point. The WR position is the most unstable I think in Vikings history, which will bring his stock down even further.

Welcome to the Huddle from a fellow Vikings fan.