[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HealthCare

H8tank

WASHINGTON — With the release of Michael Moore's "Sicko," a movie once again is adding sizzle to an issue that's a high priority for liberal politicians — this time comprehensive health insurance for all.

Rejecting Moore's prescription on healthcare could alienate liberal activists, who will play a big role in choosing the party's next standard-bearer. However, his proposal — wiping out private health insurance and replacing it with a massive federal program :D — could be political poison with the larger electorate.

Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York and Barack Obama of Illinois and former Sen. John Edwards of South Carolina all have staked out positions sharply at odds with Moore's approach. But none of them is eager to have that fact dragged into the spotlight.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/na...=la-home-center

Uhhmmm, ralph nader '08? :D

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, ask Canada & Engalnd how well socialized health care is working out for them. And I wonder where they'd get the funding for the program? Oh yeah, by taxing the welathy even more. Between this & rolling back the tax cuts that Bush instituted, this country could be in for some very difficult economic times if a Dem is elected Prez.

Yeah, ask Canada & Engalnd how well socialized health care is working out for them. And I wonder where they'd get the funding for the program? Oh yeah, by taxing the welathy even more. Between this & rolling back the tax cuts that Bush instituted, this country could be in for some very difficult economic times if a Dem is elected Prez.

This is a profoundly stupid opinion in many obvious ways.

We could start charging Canada for our military protection to pay for it, yes?

Who does Canada need to be protected from? Or are we talking about the kind of "protection" from mob movies set in the 20's?

The money Canada saves on actually having a military thanks to having Big Brother down south pays for their healthcare.

Otherwise, they'd be like the French and been defeated in every war if they weren't under our umbrella.

This is a profoundly stupid opinion in many obvious ways.

Okay, I've waited a while. Would you care to share with the class why the opinions are "profoundly stupid", or are you simply assuming that everyone else here is as brilliant as you (with the notable exception of myself, of course)?

You need extremists so that you can have a middle ground.Michael Moore is a tool but he does provide us with a middle ground to bash everyone from.

Ask most any Canadian or Brit about the state of thier healthcare and the feedback is overwhelmingly positive.

Ask most any Canadian or Brit about the state of thier healthcare and the feedback is overwhelmingly positive.

This must be the opinion held by everyone except the people who actually live there. Most of my friends from Edmonton, Calgary, Banff and Vancouver come to the US if they have anything worse than the flu because they can't get an appointment or have to see the wrong doctor for their condition. I haven't heard anything positive except "the price is right".

Any details that could convince us your statement is widely supported?

This must be the opinion held by everyone except the people who actually live there. Most of my friends from Edmonton, Calgary, Banff and Vancouver come to the US if they have anything worse than the flu because they can't get an appointment or have to see the wrong doctor for their condition. I haven't heard anything positive except "the price is right".

I'm just talking about people I've spoken to online. Maybe its just blind patriotism, I have no firsthand knowledge.

Canadians liking their health care system? Not seemingly the case over here with our neighbors in Quebec either ... the long waiting lines for imaging services and surgery lead to great dissatisfaction on this end of Canda it seems. We actually have a number of canadian physicians at my place because they weren't allowed to provide the kind of care their patients needed in a reasonable time frame -- so the docs came to the US out of frustration ... Many American hospitals see Canadians coming south to get care they need/want -- and those folks are willing to pay out of pocket for it. Other than pharmaceuticals and in some areas lasik surgery, you rarely hear of an American going north to get "better" or "cheaper" care ... :D

Edited by Donutrun Jellies

Canadians liking their health care system? Not seemingly the case over here with our neighbors in Quebec either ... the long waiting lines for imaging services and surgery lead to great dissatisfaction on this end of Canda it seems. We actually have a number of canadian physicians at my place because they weren't allowed to provide the kind of care their patients needed in a reasonable time frame -- so the docs came to the US out of frustration ... Many American hospitals see Canadians coming south to get care they need/want -- and those folks are willing to pay out of pocket for it. Other than pharmaceuticals and in some areas lasik surgery, you rarely hear of an American going north to get "better" or "cheaper" care ... :D

Good info here.

Really? Are these Canadians & Brits currently living in the U.S.? I'm hearing diversely opposite opinions, as are others here, obviously.

Is this really that hard to figure out? The government can't get involved in anything without it becoming 3 times as complicated as it needs to be and 5 times as expensive as it ought to be. And we want that for our health care system? No thanks...

Other than pharmaceuticals and in some areas lasik surgery, you rarely hear of an American going north to get "better" or "cheaper" care ... :D

yeah, and with pharmaceuticals, it's only because the parasite canucks :D have instituted artificial price controls, while the american market does all the heavy lifting to support R&D.

The money Canada saves on actually having a military thanks to having Big Brother down south pays for their healthcare.

Otherwise, they'd be like the French and been defeated in every war if they weren't under our umbrella.

Canadians realize that they have tremendous security due to 2 oceans.

And if you did any reading on it at all, you'd realize that Canadian units distinguished themselves in every war they've fought in.