[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HealthCare

H8tank

You know better. Sure it is related, but it is far from the sole contributer. Lifestyle is just as important if not more important. $1 hamburgers, disposable income allowing you to sky dive, mountain climb, jet ski, etc.. also have a lot to do with it. We are the most obese nation in the world. This doesn't have anything to do with our health care system, it has more to do with relatively cheap food, relatively stagnant lifestyles, and and a stressful work environment. Yes, health care is related to longevity, but it is naive to say that is the determining factor.

here's the real story........we need more days off!!! :D

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know better. Sure it is related, but it is far from the sole contributer. Lifestyle is just as important if not more important. $1 hamburgers, disposable income allowing you to sky dive, mountain climb, jet ski, etc.. also have a lot to do with it. We are the most obese nation in the world. This doesn't have anything to do with our health care system, it has more to do with relatively cheap food, relatively stagnant lifestyles, and and a stressful work environment. Yes, health care is related to longevity, but it is naive to say that is the determining factor.

That's exactly right, and then you can include an infant mortality rate for minorities that drops the rate significantly also.

As for your article quoted... it's about price controls and medicare. Price controls wouldn't work because they artifcially set prices in a commercial system, and medicare isn't ideal because it's sitting on top of a commercial system. Of course... it's highly unlikely that Invitro-fertilization and varicose vein treatment (two of the procedures mentioned) are covered by your insurance in the US, too. The one thing that a profit-based system does do is make a competitive market for elective and cosmetic surgery.

You know, I quote something intact and you can count on some horse's ass cherry picking their information just to emphasize a point that they can't back up with actual data. How about the heart bypasses, the hernia operations, the hysterectomies, the prostate surgery? I know, you selectively ignored that data because it just isn't relevant to this argument either, huh?

Not so simple answer. You get insurance for a major crisis. Leave the basic general doctor business and check-ups out of pocket to the individual. Stop insuring EVERYTHING and only the major issues (like you do with your house, car and other things). Hopefully you don't use insurance everytime you get a ding in your door or a rotten board on your deck needs replacing.

I've always had full medical coverage for me and my family through my employer for most of my life. About 7 years ago i semi-retired but had no health coverage. I had to pay for everything out of pocket as i couldn't afford health insurance. That went fine for a while but it soon got expensive as my wife has high blood pressure and is a diebetic. I decided to go back to work at a small local company mostly to get insurance.(i have a pre-existing condition, had a heart attack in 94, so a company plan is my only option) They only pay 1/2 of mine and none of my wifes. I started off at $500 a month and as of the 1st of this year it was up to $800 a month (out of my check)

My company was recently bought out by another small company and yesterday they offered all the employees the oppurtonity to transfer over to their plan(same insurance company just a differant plan. It's a $30 co-pay(old one $15) with a $1000 deductible. At first i thought $10000 dollar deductible, that's crazy. But i decided to crunch the numbers.

I currently pay $9,504 a year, under the new plan i will be paying $4992 a savings of $4512 in premiums. Since i rarely go the doctors my $1000 deductible is mute and we figured my wifes visits and tests from last year and she wouldn't even pay out her entire deductible.

So to wrap up this rambling, I will soon save $4500 in premiums and even if my wifes continues at her current rate, my savings will be over $3500 and if i should succomb to some medical problem, i'll still save over $2500 a year. It also has a cap per individual so even if something catastophic happens i'll break even for the year.

These deductible plans are out there but we are so programed to take the easy way out we never look to explore other possibilities. TimC makes a very valid point, stop trying to insure your self for everything, it costs way to much!!!

You know, I quote something intact and you can count on some horse's ass cherry picking their information just to emphasize a point that they can't back up with actual data. How about the heart bypasses, the hernia operations, the hysterectomies, the prostate surgery? I know, you selectively ignored that data because it just isn't relevant to this argument either, huh?

typikal libness......no basis or facts

:D:D:tup:

another typikal response

bravo libness

it's kinda confusing....i read one piece of lefty anti-american propaganda, and it says we have a lower life expectancy because we are fat and lazy and eat too many cheeseburgers. i read another piece of lefty anti-american propaganda, and it says we have a lower life expectancy because our cowboy gun culture. now i am told our lower life expectancy is conclusive proof that socialized health care is more efficient than privatized.

it's kinda confusing....i read one piece of lefty anti-american propaganda, and it says we have a lower life expectancy because we are fat and lazy and eat too many cheeseburgers. i read another piece of lefty anti-american propaganda, and it says we have a lower life expectancy because our cowboy gun culture. now i am told our lower life expectancy is conclusive proof that socialized health care is more efficient than privatized.

conclusion....they just want to control us. what we eat, what we shoot, what we drive, taxes.... :D

right, because the government is always more efficient and cost-effective than private industry. great point, how could anyone possibly question that brilliant logic. :D

If private enterprise is so efficient why are companies pitching such a fit when anyone wants to mandate a 50% reduction in greenhouse emmissions in 47 stinking years?

Yeah, ask Canada & Engalnd how well socialized health care is working out for them. And I wonder where they'd get the funding for the program? Oh yeah, by taxing the welathy even more. Between this & rolling back the tax cuts that Bush instituted, this country could be in for some very difficult economic times if a Dem is elected Prez.

You do realize not pursuing this BS war on trumped up and fake intelligence would pay for a national health care program to insure every American and we'd still have change left over?

Doesn't sound like it.

You do realize not pursuing this BS war on trumped up and fake intelligence would pay for a national health care program to insure every American and we'd still have change left over?

Doesn't sound like it.

:D

So the libs revert to evading the issue with one of their favorite dodges. First it's global warming, now it's the "illegal" war.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Doesn't sound like it.

this sounds like atomic's arguments

:D

So the libs revert to evading the issue with one of their favorite dodges. First it's global warming, now it's the "illegal" war.

No - you started yapping about funding and how we'd have to raise taxes, blah blah ablh. Well taxes werent' raised for the war right? So we squandered our chance with that decision.

dmarc - I don't care what your bigoted ass has to say so just f off.

No - you started yapping about funding and how we'd have to raise taxes, blah blah ablh. Well taxes werent' raised for the war right? So we squandered our chance with that decision.

:D You do know that entitlement spending far outpaces defense spending, even in this time of war, don't you? Just itching to have yet another facet of our lives taken over by government intervention, huh?

:D You do know that entitlement spending far outpaces defense spending, even in this time of war, don't you? Just itching to have yet another facet of our lives taken over by government intervention, huh?

No - merely pointing out that if it's important enough to the entire country, the resources are there.

I'm certainly going to see the film, but do wonder how much mention of medical technology that this country produces and provides to the socialized medicine countries because they cannot innovate as well will be mentioned.

Define entitlement spending. Is Social Security an entitlement? Or is it a self funded program? If you compare HHS to Defense, Defense is more.

Define entitlement spending. Is Social Security an entitlement? Or is it a self funded program? If you compare HHS to Defense, Defense is more.

The President's budget for 2007 totals $2.8 trillion. This budget request is broken down by the following expenditures:

$586.1 billion (+7.0%) - Social Security

$699 billion (+4.0%) - Defense

$394.5 billion (+12.4%) - Medicare

$367.0 billion (+2.0%) - Unemployment and welfare

$276.4 billion (+2.9%) - Medicaid and other health related

$243.7 billion (+13.4%) - Interest on debt

$89.9 billion (+1.3%) - Education and training

$76.9 billion (+8.1%) - Transportation

$72.6 billion (+5.8%) - Veterans' benefits

$43.5 billion (+9.2%) - Administration of justice

$33.1 billion (+5.7%) - Natural resources and environment

$32.5 billion (-15.4%) - Foreign affairs

$27.0 billion (+3.7%) - Agriculture

$26.8 billion (+28.7%) - Community and regional development

$25.0 billion (+4.0%) - Science and technology

$20.1 billion (+11.4%) - General government

$1.1 billion (-47.6%) - Energy

So if you ignore the ponzi scheme called Social Security - which will either screw those contributing now & in the future or will also become an entitlement soon - Medicare, Unemployment and Welfare, and Medicaid alone surpass defense spending in the midst of a war by almost 50%. That doesn't even include other entitlements like vet benefits (which are sorely needed), subsidies, grants, and other snouts in the trough.

Edited by Bronco Billy

The President's budget for 2007 totals $2.8 trillion. This budget request is broken down by the following expenditures:

$586.1 billion (+7.0%) - Social Security

$699 billion (+4.0%) - Defense

$394.5 billion (+12.4%) - Medicare

$367.0 billion (+2.0%) - Unemployment and welfare

$276.4 billion (+2.9%) - Medicaid and other health related

$243.7 billion (+13.4%) - Interest on debt

$89.9 billion (+1.3%) - Education and training

$76.9 billion (+8.1%) - Transportation

$72.6 billion (+5.8%) - Veterans' benefits

$43.5 billion (+9.2%) - Administration of justice

$33.1 billion (+5.7%) - Natural resources and environment

$32.5 billion (-15.4%) - Foreign affairs

$27.0 billion (+3.7%) - Agriculture

$26.8 billion (+28.7%) - Community and regional development

$25.0 billion (+4.0%) - Science and technology

$20.1 billion (+11.4%) - General government

$1.1 billion (-47.6%) - Energy

So if you ignore the ponzi scheme called Social Security - which will either screw those contributing now & in the future or will also become an entitlement soon - Medicare, Unemployment and Welfare, and Medicaid alone surpass defense spending in the midst of a war by almost 50%. That doesn't even include other entitlements like vet benefits (which are sorely needed), subsidies, grants, and other snouts in the trough.

Don't forget that for some f'd up reason, the White House continues to refuse to budget for the Iraq war in the normal budgeting process and instead has all these highly politicized "emergency funding bills" to fund the war. So unless something has changed in 2007, that number above probably does not even include the cost of the war in Iraq.