[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Garbage disposals.

Duchess Jack

They are pretty standard. Easy to install, depending on your access to under the sink. Just make sure it actually needs replacing.

Beyond getting somebody to come out to look at it - I am pretty sure its done.

I am reading that KitchenAid and Viking are the way to go

pretty easy to install, though for as easy as some can be others can be sort of a PITA. check your reset button first. does it just humm or what? if you know it's blown, turn off the power to it at the breaker, clean out everything from under the sink as room is of importance, get a bucket and a towell and remove the old one. this right here will tell you how "easy" the new one will be to install. Take old one to Home Depot/Lowes and get some help from there as to which model you want.

Spend the extra money and get a real grinder. At least 3/4 hp. When I turn mine on, you can almost feel the house tourque. Grind a body up in that moSUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS !!!ker!

If you are replacing a sink, ALWAYS replace the disposal. You never seem to get a used one to seat just right and are notorious for leaking. Mine was just under $100. Not bad for something that is used daily! This is one area of the kitchen that it is NOT worth to go cheap with!

Edited by McBoog

Got a Kenmore 1/2 hp about a year ago for around $120 and installed it myself. Wasn't too bad really - about 2 hours to do it with no experience. Don't forget to buy plumber's putty when you get the disposal.

Spend the extra money and get a real grinder. At least 3/4 hp. When I turn mine on, you can almost feel the house tourque. Grind a body up in that moSUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS !!!ker!

If you are replacing a sink, ALWAYS replace the disposal. You never seem to get a used one to seat just right and are notorious for leaking. Mine was just under $100. Not bad for something that is used daily! This is one area of the kitchen that it is NOT worth to go cheap with!

agree completely about spending a little extra for more horsepower.

I however, suck at plumbing. I tried replacing mine once, and it leaked like crazy.

http://www.shop.com/op/~KitchenAid_KCDC250...l-prod-17477458

I am eyeing this one.

I never really cared to be very handy. This all changed in the last couple years. I've laid tile, installed lights, sinks, toilets, fans and thermostats (with the help of my peeps at the huddle). I am hoping that this is the next step in my evolution.

http://www.shop.com/op/~KitchenAid_KCDC250...l-prod-17477458

I am eyeing this one.

I never really cared to be very handy. This all changed in the last couple years. I've laid tile, installed lights, sinks, toilets, fans and thermostats (with the help of my peeps at the huddle). I am hoping that this is the next step in my evolution.

Bad link!

We have this one... MoFo....! This thing could eat a Chevy w/o a burp! :D We had it installed a couple of years ago for like $50. Let them F' w/ getting the rust and other crap in their eyes, etc..

Very happy w/ it!

KA ROCKS!!!!

The reset button works wonders...of course you have to hit it a couple of times before it does anything.

that's where I was going. that, or if something is stuck, just get the alenwrench and manually turn the sucker a couple of times.

If you definitely need a new one - go with a 3/4 HP Insinkerator. I can't begin to tell you what ours has been through and is still running!

My waste belongs to the township...

as for a reset button, I did not see one... it made some weird noises - briefly ciezed and stopped. Now, the switch does not give it any juice... i will look for a reset though

It's usually a small red button on the underside of the motor. If it gets juice, but seizes up again, there should be an alen wrench that you can insert in the middle of the underside and manually turn to loosen anything that may be stuck.

Yep, I keep an allen wrench in the utensil drawer for that purpose.

Although I haven't needed it since installing the new disposal.

I had to get a new disposal when the thing rusted from the inside out and my dishwasher waste ended up all over the kitchen floor. That was fun.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

alright... I looked into it...

It is a 3/4 hp insinkerator...

There was a red reset button on the bottom. I pressed it and was able to give it juice. Like last time - there was a seizing sound, so I guickly turned it off. There is a bolt in the center, but it looks like a standard bolt - no real indentation to put the allen wrench.

What am I looking to do with the wrench? Am I taking something off and cleaning beneath?

alright... I looked into it...

It is a 3/4 hp insinkerator...

There was a red reset button on the bottom. I pressed it and was able to give it juice. Like last time - there was a seizing sound, so I guickly turned it off. There is a bolt in the center, but it looks like a standard bolt - no real indentation to put the allen wrench.

What am I looking to do with the wrench? Am I taking something off and cleaning beneath?

There should be a place on the underside to put the allen wrench, right around dead center.

I love this place. $100-$200 seemed way reasonable to me to replace our disposal. I never thought to try to fix it or look for a reset button once it shut down. I figured it was time for a new one. Another lesson learned thanks to the huddle

First of all, I assume you know the allen wrench is more like a six-sided head for a screwdriver than what we normally think of as a wrench. They usually come as a set of small to large size "L" shaped heads on a key ring, but they also come as a set of screwdriver bits.

Anyway, all you do is rotate the wrench inside the hole back and forth a couple times - you should hear some gears moving inside the unit. This clears the obstruction.

Try running the disposal again. If it works, great, if not, repeat above and see if you can pull the obstruction out of the disposal (make sure its off - duh!). Might turn the breaker off at your electric box for added precaution.

Ah...okay I was looking in the drain

Is that so I can better access whatever might be obstructing it?

Actually, you will just be manually turning the "grinder" part of the disposal. If it turns, give it a few full rotations to make sure the jam is dislodged. If you are struggling to turn it, you may need to take the disposal out, take it apart (3 screws) and remove the obstruction. My bet is it is a popcorn kernel!