[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How much should I charge my brother for rent?

I Like Soup

My brother is transferring from Lindenwood University in the St. Louis area to finish his last two years of college at ASU here in the Phoenix area. I told him and my parents he could live with me, no problem. It was kind of one of the reasons he was coming out here...to hang with big brother (well, he is 6'5 too...:D) and finish school without the parental controls...so to speak.

Anyway, when we first started talking about this in March, my Dad asked me how much would I like for him to stay each month. I told him not to worry about. Well, he brought it up again this past weekend and I again told him not to worry about it and if he wanted to give me anything, just make up the difference in the utilities and food. To which he replied, "you haven't lived with your brother!" He said he wants me to think about it because he thinks it is only right that they compensate me and I reminded him we were family and I didn't think it was warranted. He is adamant about paying me...so...

How much should I throw out there? :D

Edited by I Like Soup

My brother is transferring from Lindenwood University in the St. Louis area to finish his last two years of college at ASU here in the Phoenix area. I told him and my parents he could live with me, no problem. It was kind of one of the reasons he was coming out here...to hang with big brother (well, he is 6'5 too...:D) and finish school without the parental controls...so to speak.

Anyway, when we first started talking about this in March, my Dad asked me how much would I like for him to stay each month. I told him not to worry about. Well, he brought it up again this past weekend and I again told him not to worry about it and if he wanted to give me anything, just make up the difference in the utilities and food. To which he replied, "you haven't lived with your brother!" He said he wants me to think about it because he thinks it is only right that they compensate me and I reminded him we were family and I didn't think it was warranted. He is adamant about paying me...so...

How much should I throw out there? :D

If you Dad is going to insist.... tell him a hundred bucks per month and you won't take a penny less.

My eldest is returning for a year prior to grad school and I already made her aware she won't be staying for free. $200 is the minimum you should get and that's one heck of a deal once you add up rent, utilities, etc.

well, feeding a sasquatch can't be cheap...:D

i dunno, maybe throw out a pretty lowball number like 200/month, and if everyone is ok with that, fine, if he insists on doubling it or whatever, that's fine too.

Let him pay 2 of your utility bills for the months he's there. Whichever ones are most affected by him living with you. Maybe the electric and water? Make sure he chips in for groceries, too.

my sister lived with my wife and i for a year in nyc after college graduation and we didn't charge her anything. she bought groceries and paid some utilities occasionally, but we never really thought to charge her rent. we're all pretty close, though, so we didn't mind. i say if you can handle it, let him stay for nothing, or at least make him pitch in on those massive summer A/C bills.

When doing business with family, I've always found it helpful to have the otherside name their price before naming mine.

If he's insisting on paying, maybe you could do something like figure up how much he'd have to pay for some place (plus utilities and food, etc) if he were living by himself, and then have 30-50% of that amount as the amount you should expect to receive.

Honestly, your expenses will go WAY up having another person in your place ... and if they only paid 30-50% of what he'd have to pay if he was in his own apartment (or campus dorm) and 30-50% of his minimum utility bills and food would be, then everyone is way ahead of the game.

So, if, say, his rent would be $1000 / mo, and his utilities for said apartment would be another $250 / mo, plus $500 / mo for food (and beer), you're looking at him having to pay $1750 if he's on his own ... you should expect to get $500-800 for him living with you (per month).

But, again, tell your dad to pick a number that sounds fair to him and go with it. If (after a couple of months of actually observing how much your expenses change) you think he's paying too much, stick the extra aside and get your parents and/or brother some extra-cool birthday/Christmas presents (or pay off the student loans a bit ... or whatever).

You can't charge your brother rent, BUT you can kick him out if he is a pain.

Edited by NSab

Charge him $200 a month and if you do not need/want the money just throw it into a savings account. When he graduates, give it to your brother with the reminder that he will forever be in your debt.

I was in a similar situation but on your brother's end when I finished grad school. I moved in with my sister while I was job hunting, since I had a better chance of landing something in the twin cities than going up to Da Range, and I couldn't afford my own place at the time. It started out rent free, and I did buy groceries for the both of us and keep the place clean if I wasn't working at the time, but eventually she started to charge me a nominal rent of $150 if I recall, and this was in 1997 or so. Also, she didn't start charging me unitl I was working - granted I was only working as a temp at the time - but I had income coming in, and since I was paying off student loans as well I thought $150 was a freakin' bargain. Oh sure I was a little ticked when she told me I needed to start paying rent, but I figured it beat paying whatever apartments were going for back then. Besides, my sister was a major beeyotch then, and didn't settle down until her eventual husband came around to bear the brunt of her legendary temper.

Long story short, there comes a time when even the guest shouldn't expect to live there for free. As long as it's a nominal charge and takes into account their ability to pay at the time, then don't think it should be a problem.

Of course, once I got a full time job, I got the hell out of my sister's townhouse in a hearbeat. Talk about a legendary temper................sheesh.

He should also pay for the Sunday Ticket and a case of beer every weekend so I can come over to watch the Vikings and stumble home safely. :D

was going to suggest a small handfull of bills (one being directv, with all programing you want).

Thanks for the input y'all.

Sounds like a couple of hundred bucks would be fine. Probably not a bad deal since Dad is paying for his school (read: no student loans) and housing. Cheaper than with me than the University I guess, even though I've already said it isn't necessary to pay me. So any money my brother makes is his to play with.

:D