[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tipping at a restaurant question

Big Country

How much do you tip for curbside service?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. How much?

• 20%+
    • 15%
    • 10%
    • Flat rate - $2 or less
    • Flat Rate - $5
    • Flat Rate -- more than $5
    • I don't tip
    • Puddy

Is it customary to tip at a restaurant for curbside service? For example at Outback you can call in an order, and drive over in 20-30 minutes to pick up your food. At the Outback near my house, they come to your car, take your CC or cash and process that, get your food and give change etc. In this case, what, if anything do you tip the person?

What if they don't come to your car, and you have to go in to pick up the food yourself?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure.

I've used that Outback curbside service before and used a credit card so there was automatically that "gratuity" line. I think I probably threw a couple bucks on there (would have been about a $20 order for me and wife), so voted 10%.

I've been to Sonic a few times here in Austin and have never tipped them.

:D

Guest ksu70

I have never used that service either but the $2.00 concept sounds about right as long as the individual isn't an ass. For me it is less about the actual service and more about remembering what it was like when I did stuff like that.

15% normal but will bump it up or down depending on the service.

Edit to actually answer BC's question. :D

I did not used to tip curbside but I do now. I usually do Outback, maybe 10%.

Edited by chiefjay

Never more than $5.00 and nothing at all if I go in and get the order. My wife tips even if she goes in but I really don't agree with that. :D

Sounds like your wife and my SO go to the same tipping school. :D Being that our curbside bill at Outback is around the $30 range, I usually like to leave about $3 which is 10%. My SO always gives them $5 regardless, even if she has to go in. Now you have to realize that if you ask for extra things like extra butter, for instance, these people get the supplies themselves so if they do me up right, I'll more than likely toss them a 5 spot too. I used to work in the restaurant business so I usually do them up if the service is good.

And yes, you should tip the curbside people, they're only making 2.16 an hour. They pay there bills with tips.

It seems like we've got a lot of cheap asses here.

I agree you should tip them but you should NOT tip them the same % as you do your server if you were inside the restaurant. The curbside servers can take care of many more orders than the servers inside (plus they aren't checking on you, getting refills, etc.).

10% is the ticket for curbside.

I have heard that the people that work the "To Go" side, have to do all the boxing up of the food, making sure you have utensils, etc., so yeah, I throw them a couple bucks.

I usually tip 20%, but I don't include tax in figuring it when I sit down inside to eat.

Edited by CaptainHook

You're all wrong on this one...

20% is no longer the number, its 30%.

And yes, you should tip the curbside people, they're only making 2.16 an hour. They pay there bills with tips.

It seems like we've got a lot of cheap asses here.

I tip based on service, not a percentage. Give me good service, I give a good tip (always look both ways before crossing).

Give me bad service, I give a bad tip.

F all the 20% crap, the "they make x per hour crap, and anything else like that... Its their JOB. If they perform well, they get rewarded. Maybe not by everyone, but that is how they make their money.

Curbside service is almost as hard as waiting tables. I worked for OSI (Outback, Carrabbas) for years. I did curbside (and a couple hosteses :D)a couple times, its not easy. First you have to take an order over the phone which sux. The ticket writing and dropping is exactly the same as the servers. Next time you go to Outback look at the archaic ticket system they use, its a pain. Durring the rush you have like 20 bags of different peoples food that has to be kept in order. Add in rain and this job defenitly sux. Unless a bartender is putting your "to go" order together it is customary to tip exactly as you would a server.

Curbside I do 10%+. Never as much as when I go inside where it's normally 20% for obvious reasons.

30% now at a place that isn't that upscale??? I vote they get another job. :D

And don't let mah sweet ice tea run out. :D

Curbside service is almost as hard as waiting tables. I worked for OSI (Outback, Carrabbas) for years. I did curbside (and a couple hosteses :D)a couple times, its not easy. First you have to take an order over the phone which sux. The ticket writing and dropping is exactly the same as the servers. Next time you go to Outback look at the archaic ticket system they use, its a pain. Durring the rush you have like 20 bags of different peoples food that has to be kept in order. Add in rain and this job defenitly sux. Unless a bartender is putting your "to go" order together it is customary to tip exactly as you would a server.

Yeah it seems like the only real difference is they're not refilling your drinks. But the packaging of the order could be a little more involved than just bringing it out to the table.