[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tipping at a restaurant question

Big Country

How much do you tip for curbside service?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. How much?

• 20%+
    • 15%
    • 10%
    • Flat rate - $2 or less
    • Flat Rate - $5
    • Flat Rate -- more than $5
    • I don't tip
    • Puddy

I tip based on service, not a percentage. Give me good service, I give a good tip (always look both ways before crossing).

Give me bad service, I give a bad tip.

F all the 20% crap, the "they make x per hour crap, and anything else like that... Its their JOB. If they perform well, they get rewarded. Maybe not by everyone, but that is how they make their money.

I'm in the same boat. I know I tip well for those that earn it as we have waiters that will go out of their way to wait on us in our little circle of resturants. The guy at PF Changs, for example, knows every little quirk that I have and does a top notch job taking care of the three of us that go there. He gets $15-$20 each time and the bill is never over $50.00. He earns it. I have a few others that are like that but I don't have a problem leaving a fin for those that did not do a reasonable job either.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the same boat. I know I tip well for those that earn it as we have waiters that will go out of their way to wait on us in our little circle of resturants. The guy at PF Changs, for example, knows every little quirk that I have and does a top notch job taking care of the three of us that go there. He gets $15-$20 each time and the bill is never over $50.00. He earns it. I have a few others that are like that but I don't have a problem leaving a fin for those that did not do a reasonable job either.

Agree 110%. :D

I dont tip em, well hardly ever anyway. The wife doesn't think they should get a tip, same goes for Sonic. I've been told I'm not that great a tipper :D

Is it customary to tip at a restaurant for curbside service? For example at Outback you can call in an order, and drive over in 20-30 minutes to pick up your food. At the Outback near my house, they come to your car, take your CC or cash and process that, get your food and give change etc. In this case, what, if anything do you tip the person?

What if they don't come to your car, and you have to go in to pick up the food yourself?

For curbside service I think a flat rate of $5.00 (regardless of the bill amount) is appropriate. Inside dining I tip 20-25% if the service is very good. Average service, I usually tip around 15%. Below average I tip around 10%.

I remember vacationing in Tahoe one year where we ate dinner at a nice bistro right on the water. The service was absolutely horrible. Everything bad that you can imagine, happened. The bill was over $250.00 (6 people) and I left a $5.00 tip to send a message. As my family and I were walking out the waitress ran up behind me and threw the $5.00 bill at me and said to "keep my f*c*ing money". Little that she knew, the owner was following her and fired her on the spot! I was respectful and shared our experience with the owner. He brought me back in the restaurant and wrote me out a $100 gift certificate which we used a few nights later :D

I remember vacationing in Tahoe one year where we ate dinner at a nice bistro right on the water. The service was absolutely horrible. Everything bad that you can imagine, happened. The bill was over $250.00 (6 people) and I left a $5.00 tip to send a message. As my family and I were walking out the waitress ran up behind me and threw the $5.00 bill at me and said to "keep my f*c*ing money". Little that she knew, the owner was following her and fired her on the spot! I was respectful and shared our experience with the owner. He brought me back in the restaurant and wrote me out a $100 gift certificate which we used a few nights later :D

Good for you, no offense to waiters/waitresses but I think too many of them feel that it's their "right" to get 20% regardless of the job they do.

You're all wrong on this one...

20% is no longer the number, its 30%.

And yes, you should tip the curbside people, they're only making 2.16 an hour. They pay there bills with tips.

It seems like we've got a lot of cheap asses here.

[MrPink]Then they should get a real f@ckin job.[/MrPink]

This whole tipping percentage is crap in my opinion. I find it very irritating that the owners can't pay there staff a decent wage and I have to supplement it with a 20% (f@ck that 30% noise) on top of what I have already paid the owner for eating in HIS OR HER establishment.

Most of the time I go out, the service is average, and I'm suppose to pay them 20-30%, I don't think so.

This whole tipping percentage is crap in my opinion. I find it very irritating that the owners can't pay there staff a decent wage and I have to supplement it with a 20% (f@ck that 30% noise) on top of what I have already paid the owner for eating in HIS OR HER establishment.

Sure, the minimum wage for service based industries could be increased, but that would just result in higher prices for the meals you order. At least with the tipping method, you can reward top notch service, and withhold from paying as much for poor service.

Most of the time I go out, the service is average, and I'm suppose to pay them 20-30%, I don't think so.

Will you tip that for above average?

You cheapos need to stay the f@ck at home if you cant afford to tip. If you werent tipping you would have to pay more for the food, simple as that. And it would be alot more for any kind of decent restaraunt. I was making proly close to 40k @ Outback. Multiply that by 16 servers per night on average and you are going to pay ALOT more for your food.

I look at tipping as a sort of profit sharing for the restaraunt. If its a slow night, neither you nor the manager makes any money if its busy everyone makes alot of money (unless thier waiting on you cheap f@cks). Waiting tables takes people, comprehension, memorization, prioritization skills and the ability to multi-task and think on your feet. I hope when you all make your decision to throw down your pennies for your lowly peon of a server you take a minute to decide if its poor service or a weeded server.

Where is Detlef when yoiu need him.

P.S. You give your name and make of car every time you order take away. Not too difficult to remember for the next time you order. And those take away girls are usually highschool hostesses and dont really value thier jobs like a server does. They will get retribution on $hitty tippers.

Will you tip that for above average?

Yes I will. In fact a month ago I tipped my waittress 40% because of the service (and no it wasn't a strip club).

I just think it's gotten out of hand. I've been places where there is a tip jar for the cooks. So now I have to tip the server (usually for average service) and give the cook a tip also?

Hell, I went thru the drive-thru of a local Mexican Resturant (no not Taco Bell) and there was a can labeled Tips. in the freakin drive-thru.

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

You cheapos need to stay the f@ck at home if you cant afford to tip. If you werent tipping you would have to pay more for the food, simple as that. And it would be alot more for any kind of decent restaraunt. I was making proly close to 40k @ Outback. Multiply that by 16 servers per night on average and you are going to pay ALOT more for your food.

I look at tipping as a sort of profit sharing for the restaraunt. If its a slow night, neither you nor the manager makes any money if its busy everyone makes alot of money (unless thier waiting on you cheap f@cks). Waiting tables takes people, comprehension, memorization, prioritization skills and the ability to multi-task and think on your feet. I hope when you all make your decision to throw down your pennies for your lowly peon of a server you take a minute to decide if its poor service or a weeded server.

P.S. You give your name and make of car every time you order take away. Not too difficult to remember for the next time you order. And those take away girls are usually highschool hostesses and dont really value thier jobs like a server does. They will get retribution on $hitty tippers.

What .... the .... :D

I was making proly close to 40k @ Outback.

No offense, but if you're pulling that kind of coin working at a joint like Outback, you have absolutely zero room to go callin' people "cheap f@cks".

:tup:

Edit: Oh, and :doh: @

I look at tipping as a sort of profit sharing for the restaraunt.
:D Edited by darin3

Yes I will. In fact a month ago I tipped my waittress 40% because of the service (and no it wasn't a strip club).

Excellent.

I'm a bartender and I think I'm pretty good at it. That being said, I F up sometimes and don't give the best service possible. In this case, I expect a lower/no tip.

95% of the time, I think that I give excellent service, and I don't excpect anything, but I hope that I will get rewarded.

I've said it many times before on these boards: I'm good at what I do - and I continue to do it because of the tips. If the tips were $hitty, you'd get some 19 year old that doesn't know how to make a drink serving you.

I think the general consensus was that most of us tip well when it's warranted. This "I'm entitled to 20%" BS just doesn't cut it.

Excellent.

I'm a bartender and I think I'm pretty good at it. That being said, I F up sometimes and don't give the best service possible. In this case, I expect a lower/no tip.

95% of the time, I think that I give excellent service, and I don't excpect anything, but I hope that I will get rewarded.

I've said it many times before on these boards: I'm good at what I do - and I continue to do it because of the tips. If the tips were $hitty, you'd get some 19 year old that doesn't know how to make a drink serving you.

Which is why I float a bartender a $20 at the beginning of the night or tip $2 per beer/$4 per mix drink.

Good service merits a great tip. :D

I think the general consensus was that most of us tip well when it's warranted. This "I'm entitled to 20%" BS just doesn't cut it.

Exactly. I oftentimes OVER-tip. But this BS about tipping some zit-faced high school student 20% of my order total for walking a bag of food from the restaurant out to my car is simply ridiculous.

Edit: And yes, I'm generalizing, but it's been this way in my experiences.

Edit to add: What's next, tipping the person who hands you your food at McDonald's? I mean, come on... seriously...

Edited by darin3

Which is why I float a bartender a $20 at the beginning of the night or tip $2 per beer/$4 per mix drink.

Good service merits a great tip. :D

Exactly.. Did this last time at WCOFF with Darin when we went to the Huddle meet up bar early. I plunked down money in the video poker so the drinks were free, dropped the bartender a 20-spot at the get go to pour them right and to keep them coming and we were well taken care of the entire night.... well.. the parts of it I remember.

Exactly.. Did this last time at WCOFF with Darin when we went to the Huddle meet up bar early. I plunked down money in the video poker so the drinks were free, dropped the bartender a 20-spot at the get go to pour them right and to keep them coming and we were well taken care of the entire night.... well.. the parts of it I remember.

I think I remember that....meh, who am I kidding. :D

Exactly. I oftentimes OVER-tip. But this BS about tipping some zit-faced high school student 20% of my order total for walking a bag of food from the restaurant out to my car is simply ridiculous.

You tipped Broncos?

Edited by peepinmofo

What .... the .... :D

No offense, but if you're pulling that kind of coin working at a joint like Outback, you have absolutely zero room to go callin' people "cheap f@cks".

:tup:

Edit: Oh, and :doh: @ :D

I dont see how that is a laughable concept but whatever. And 40k isnt that much these days.

You have never worked for tips then. When I was in college (1981 - 1987) the minimum wage for employees that work for tips was 2.01 per hour. Waiting tables is very demanding/hard work. When you get good service you should tip accordingly. If you don't get good service then by all means less generosity is called for. However, if you can't tip 15-20% for good service then you need to stay home and wait on your own damn self.

One more note - very often the establishment will run a tip pool so when you short your waiter you are shorting the entire staff. Having worked in a tip pool and being one of the better waiters this policy irritated me to know end as it did nothing to encourage lazy/bad waiters to improve.

And ... I hate it when the tip is automatically added on due to the size of your group. Damn it the wait staff should have to earn their tip. I absolutely will NEVER increase a tip if it was automatically added no matter how good the service ... so if in this case your service was outstanding you missed out on 5% to 10%.