[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A truly sad day in pro wrestling

SeductiveNun

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WWE® Shocked At Latest Developments In Benoit Tragedy, Concerned By Sensationalistic Reporting

Written: June 26, 2007

STAMFORD, Conn., June 26, 2007 – World Wrestling Entertainment is stunned and saddened by the details released by local authorities concerning the double homicide-suicide involving Chris Benoit, his wife, Nancy, and his son, Daniel.

However, WWE is concerned with the sensationalistic reporting and speculation being undertaken by some members of the media following the press conference held by the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department and the District Attorney. During the press conference, the investigating authorities made the following points, all of which run contrary to the media speculation that "roid rage" was a factor in the senseless murders and suicide:

1. The authorities stated that all drugs found in the house were believed to be legal prescriptions.

2. Steroids were not, and could not, be related to the cause of death (asphyxiation). Authorities had no factual basis to speculate as to Benoit’s state of mind, and rightly did not do so.

3. Toxicology tests have not even been completed, so there is no current evidence that Benoit even had steroids or any other substance in his body. In that regard, on the last test done on Benoit by WWE's independently administered drug testing program, done on April 10, 2007, Benoit tested negative.

4. The physical findings announced by authorities indicate deliberation, not rage. The wife's feet and hands were bound and she was asphyxiated, not beaten to death. By the account of the authorities, there were substantial periods of time between the death of the wife and the death of the son, again suggesting deliberate thought, not rage. The presence of a Bible by each is also not an act of rage.

5. WWE strongly suggests that it is entirely wrong for speculators to suggest that steroids had anything to do with these senseless acts, especially when the authorities plainly stated there is no evidence that Benoit had steroids in his body, pending the toxicological reports, and that they had no evidence at this time as to the motive for these acts.

WWE is continuing to monitor the ongoing investigation being conducted by local authorities.

I'm not buying the 'roid rage idea. I think he had deeper problems than that. I thought I read somewhere that HE called off his previous engagement for personal reasons. Unless it was after he had done whatever they speculate he did, it sounds pre-meditated.

I also saw that he left other kids behind from another relationship.

Me neither. I think it was a premeditated act, I just can't see why he had to involve the family.........especially his 7 year old boy. There have been reports that Nancy had previously filed for divorce in 2003 and even got a restraining order against Benoit. But it was called off ant the restraining order removed. I am a lifelong wrestling fan (yeah its fake..so what, so are movies and I like them) but it does seem that wrestlers have offscreen issues that make them go nutso. Just off the top of my head Luger, Pillman, Guererro, Davey Boy and now benoit all come to mind as having issues like this pop up. It is truly a sad thing for the rest of the family. :D

However, WWE is concerned with the sensationalistic reporting and speculation being undertaken by some members of the media following the press conference held by the Fayette County Sheriff's Department and the District Attorney......

2. Steroids were not, and could not, be related to the cause of death (asphyxiation). Authorities had no factual basis to speculate as to Benoit's state of mind, and rightly did not do so.

For some reason, driving home tonight, I was wondering to myself, if the powers that be in the WWE thoughts were something along the lines of "wow, I wonder if something in the culture we foster could have played a part in this", or closer to something like "crap, this could cost us some money".

For some reason, driving home tonight, I was wondering to myself, if the powers that be in the WWE thoughts were something along the lines of "wow, I wonder if something in the culture we foster could have played a part in this", or closer to something like "crap, this could cost us some money".

I'm guessing the latter, but this is not the time start to crucify McMahon and the WWE Wellness Policy. The entire investigation should be played out with conclusions before anything like that should happen if it is found that he did indeed have illegal substances in his body that could have altered his state of mind at the time of the crimes. However the grind of the lifestyle lends itself perfectly to the use of illegal substances, and a change in the schedule would cost the WWE money in terms of house show revenues.

The sad thing is, there is no easy yes/no blood test or urine test to determine mental stability (although I admit I'm not a psychologist, psychiatrist, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night). Maybe Untateve could pitch in with his opinion if he's been following the story at all.

:D

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. (AP) -- Two days before he and his family were found dead in an apparent murder-suicide, pro wrestler Chris Benoit told co-workers his wife and son had food poisoning and were throwing up, according to World Wrestling Entertainment.

Benoit strangled his wife, suffocated his 7-year-old son and placed a Bible next to their bodies before hanging himself with a weight-machine pulley, authorities said Tuesday.

Authorities offered no motive for the killings, which were spread out over the weekend and discovered Monday. No suicide note was found.

On Saturday, Benoit called a co-worker to say he had missed a flight and would be late for a wrestling event in Texas, WWE said in a timeline posted Tuesday on its Web site. The co-worker said Benoit sounded tired and groggy and said "I love you," which the co-worker found "out of context," WWE said.

When a co-worker who usually travels with Benoit called him later from the Houston airport, Benoit told the co-worker his wife, Nancy, was throwing up blood and that his son, Daniel, also was throwing up. Benoit said he thought it was food poisoning, according to WWE.

After Benoit talked to a WWE Talent Relations representative, the representative suggested Benoit try to make it to a pay-per-view event in Houston since he would not be able to make it to the live event in Beaumont, Texas.

But early Sunday, two co-workers received a series of text messages from the cell phones of Benoit and his wife. Most stated his home address in Fayetteville, about 20 miles south of Atlanta. One message from Benoit's phone said: "The dogs are in the enclosed pool area. Garage side door is open," according to WWE.

The text messages led WWE to ask authorities to check on Benoit and his family.

District Attorney Scott Ballard said the messages appeared to be an attempt by Benoit to get someone to the home to find the bodies after his suicide.

:D

I'm guessing the latter, but this is not the time start to crucify McMahon and the WWE Wellness Policy. The entire investigation should be played out with conclusions before anything like that should happen if it is found that he did indeed have illegal substances in his body that could have altered his state of mind at the time of the crimes. However the grind of the lifestyle lends itself perfectly to the use of illegal substances, and a change in the schedule would cost the WWE money in terms of house show revenues.

The sad thing is, there is no easy yes/no blood test or urine test to determine mental stability (although I admit I'm not a psychologist, psychiatrist, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night). Maybe Untateve could pitch in with his opinion if he's been following the story at all.

Gee, you think? Well, I do think it is time to start crucifying McMahon and the WWE. Their shop seems to be a bit of a mess and they are profiting hugely on a system that basically consumes people. Sure, the goons they bring in make more jack in the short run than they would as bouncers or whatever other sort of job they might end up in, but they're signing a pact with the devil and they're not coming out the back door in very good shape.

Meanwhile, WWE is cashing in. Any "wellness program" they have going is obviously a sham.

Mind you, the NFL doesn't seem far behind and based on it's lack of regard for the former players, doesn't appear to have a spotless track record in terms of what happens to the players when they're used up.

Edited by detlef

Pro wrestling is a joke, and this story is getting weirder.

An anonymous user operating a computer traced to Stamford, Conn. — home to World Wrestling Entertainment — posted an entry to pro wrestler Chris Benoit's biography on Wikipedia.org announcing the death of his wife Nancy at least 13 hours before police in suburban Atlanta said they found her body along with her husband's and that of their 7-year-old son, FOXNews.com has learned.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287194,00.html

I'm guessing the latter, but this is not the time start to crucify McMahon and the WWE Wellness Policy.

My comment was strickly limited to the ridicules statement by the WWE that there was no way that Steroids could have been the cause of death (asphyxiation), well no duh, the asphyxiation was most likely caused by a set of hands, a piece of rope or pillow. It was stupid to say anything, like the reports are all going to scratch thier head, go hey your right, 'roids don't cause people to asphyxiate, lets all go home.

Edited by rbmcdonald

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but let me throw this out there.

If we assume the computer in Stamford was truly someone associated with the WWE and not just some Stamford resident speculating blindly, then what we have here is the WWE, already knowing that Nancy was dead, plan to go along with their show on Monday. RAW is shown live, so someone in the WWE knew Nancy was dead, but still believed Chris was alive. Here's where a huge leap of logic takes place. A few hours before showtime on Monday, they find out Chris is also dead, however nobody said anything to the police regarding Nancy in all that time that she lay there, all the while thinking Chris was still alive. Chris sent them the text messages regarding his address and where the dogs were being kept (to allow for easier access to his house), still nobody in the WWE says anything. Could it be they knew Chris had killed his wife and son at that time, and were giving him the chance to turn himself in, when in fact he had planned on taking his own life at that time? If so, with that knowledge WWE runs a tribute show that night for Chris so they can do a memorial to one of their own, and then the next day when the official word comes out they remove all reference to Chris in light of the heinous crimes. Vince McMahon and Co. get to do a send off show without looking like a bad guy claiming ignorance of the true nature of the crimes, and then can do the right thing the next day and remove all traces of Chris from the company, thus saving face.

Long conspiracy theory short, the WWE knew what happened all along, fabricated the accidental death angle to get a show out of it, and then recanted once the causes of death were made official. By that time, the train had left the station and they got the big send off show done. They still look like the good guys.

Now this is completely seperate from the conspiracy theory, but has more to do with the lifestyle of wrestling. In the last 10 years, 60 wrestlers under the age of 45 have died, most from unnatural causes or complications from drug use in the past. Detlef, you said now was a good time to go after McMahon, and after thinking about it, I agree. Wrestlers don't get an off season, they have no retirement/transition plan for when they are out of the business, and they certainly have no union. McMahon is essentially the head of all that's pro wrestling in this country, but he still operates on the old sideshow carny mentality of "If one freak dies, I can always get another to take it's place". He's running the guys into the ground, and nobody is calling him out on it. :D

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but let me throw this out there.

If we assume the computer in Stamford was truly someone associated with the WWE and not just some Stamford resident speculating blindly, then what we have here is the WWE, already knowing that Nancy was dead, plan to go along with their show on Monday. RAW is shown live, so someone in the WWE knew Nancy was dead, but still believed Chris was alive. Here's where a huge leap of logic takes place. A few hours before showtime on Monday, they find out Chris is also dead, however nobody said anything to the police regarding Nancy in all that time that she lay there, all the while thinking Chris was still alive. Chris sent them the text messages regarding his address and where the dogs were being kept (to allow for easier access to his house), still nobody in the WWE says anything. Could it be they knew Chris had killed his wife and son at that time, and were giving him the chance to turn himself in, when in fact he had planned on taking his own life at that time? If so, with that knowledge WWE runs a tribute show that night for Chris so they can do a memorial to one of their own, and then the next day when the official word comes out they remove all reference to Chris in light of the heinous crimes. Vince McMahon and Co. get to do a send off show without looking like a bad guy claiming ignorance of the true nature of the crimes, and then can do the right thing the next day and remove all traces of Chris from the company, thus saving face.

Long conspiracy theory short, the WWE knew what happened all along, fabricated the accidental death angle to get a show out of it, and then recanted once the causes of death were made official. By that time, the train had left the station and they got the big send off show done. They still look like the good guys.

Now this is completely seperate from the conspiracy theory, but has more to do with the lifestyle of wrestling. In the last 10 years, 60 wrestlers under the age of 45 have died, most from unnatural causes or complications from drug use in the past. Detlef, you said now was a good time to go after McMahon, and after thinking about it, I agree. Wrestlers don't get an off season, they have no retirement/transition plan for when they are out of the business, and they certainly have no union. McMahon is essentially the head of all that's pro wrestling in this country, but he still operates on the old sideshow carny mentality of "If one freak dies, I can always get another to take it's place". He's running the guys into the ground, and nobody is calling him out on it. :D

i'm figuring someone at WWE knew what was going on....but it doesn't make sense to me under any theory for the higher-ups to run a "tribute" show for the guy if they knew he just strangled his wife and 7 year-old kid to death. i find it easier to believe that whoever made the call to air that show did NOT know what actually went down, and that different people in the organization knew different things at different times.