[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Damn aligator bit my hand off!

Fatman

VENICE, Florida (AP) -- A man who lost his ball in a golf course pond nearly lost a limb when a nearly 11-foot alligator latched on to his arm and pulled him in the water, authorities said.

Bruce Burger, 50, was trying to retrieve his ball Monday from a pond on the sixth hole at the Lake Venice Golf Club.

The alligator latched on to Burger's right forearm and pulled him in the pond, said Gary Morse, a spokesman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Burger used his left arm to beat the reptile until it freed him.

"I saw him reach down to get his ball and he yelled" for help, said Janet Pallo, who was playing the fifth hole and ran over to drive the man to the clubhouse.

Burger, from Lenoir City, Tennessee, was taken to a hospital but was not seriously injured, Morse said Tuesday.

It took seven Fish and Wildlife officers an hour to trap the one-eyed alligator, which measured 10 feet, 11 inches, Morse said.

The pond at the sixth hole has a "Beware of Alligator" sign.

"Unfortunately, that's part of Florida," course general manager Rod Parry said. "There's wildlife in these ponds."

---

Sound familiar?

I don't care if the ball was made out 14 karat gold with diamonds on it ...would never go near the water with a sign that says beware of alligators

Shiatt I wouldn't go near any water in a known alligator area such as Florida.

Here in San Diego the signs in the rough say, "Beware of rattlesnakes". If I hit a ball in the rough, the last thing I'm doin' is going in after it. :D

Here in San Diego the signs in the rough say, "Beware of rattlesnakes". If I hit a ball in the rough, the last thing I'm doin' is going in after it. :D

Just start talking in tongues when you go to pick it up, and you'll be fine.

I don't care if the ball was made out 14 karat gold with diamonds on it ...would never go near the water with a sign that says beware of alligators

That's what caddies are for