[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I gotta ask...

DMD

If you've seen a Walmart employee bag up groceries, you'd be happy to do it yourself. Two cans per bag, one bag of chips in another bag, another two cans in another bag...

:D

That beats one of the largest Canadian chains that is I guess trying to help the environment by not including any bags. If you need bags, you have to buy them as you pay for your groceries. Even worse, they ask you how many bags you need to buy. Like if I have a cart full of stuff I know how many bags I need????? Then to top it all off, you have to bag yourself anyway.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably prefer the old fashion way. I don't want to bag or scan. But if it gets you thru faster, why not.

No hijack intended, but what keeps people from NOT scanning an item....stealing it? :D

I'd probably prefer the old fashion way. I don't want to bag or scan. But if it gets you thru faster, why not.

No hijack intended, but what keeps people from NOT scanning an item....stealing it? :D

When you put the item in the bag, it is all done by weight (I think). The scan knows what the item weighs, and if it weighs more, the big fat lady will come and get you.

I don't like dealing with people if I don't have to, so I don't at the grocery store. Unless there is no line at the human checker. Then I'll use them.

With the "loyalty cards" I use a fake name and fake address and fake phone number and have never had an issue.

the additional weight in the bagging area not matching up with the weight of all the items scanned

hmmm, but I guess that would be different in a cart....

I was reading an article a couple years ago about GPS and how the next thing companies are hoping to do is to send you coupons and offers for stores on your phone. If you are next to a starbucks - your phone might say, stop in for a coffee at $1. I think they had people signing up for different places. I also think that the phones would learn the type of things you like. Sounds like an interesting idea, except for the privacy issue. If my supermarket goes to the system first mentioned, I'm going to need to buy my copy of Horse Humping Sleeper Cell Digest elsewhere

Edited by Duchess Jack

I never go through the self check-out for the reasons you stated. Why should I do their work for nothing in return.

You should do their work because you do get something in return, time in the guise of not standing in line waiting.

I like it for convenience unless I have a bunch of stuff.

At Walmart, they always have an employee around just to check that you are scanning correctly and that you aren't having problems. Like mentioned above, the checkout register knows what everything that is scanned weighs. If you don't put the item down in the bag after you scan it, or put something in the bag that isn't scanned, they will catch it. Plus if you buy a DVD movie or something else, it may require assistance automatically from the employee watching the self check out registers.

1) I hate loyalty cards/programs. I sholdn't have to carry a card to get a store's discouts on items. I shop at stores that do not have these programs.

I agree. In addition I don't want to be on their damn mailing list.

As to self checkout ... I'm thinking if I do all the work there should be an inherent discount over the person that requires a store employee to check them out and bag their groceries.

That beats one of the largest Canadian chains that is I guess trying to help the environment by not including any bags. If you need bags, you have to buy them as you pay for your groceries. Even worse, they ask you how many bags you need to buy. Like if I have a cart full of stuff I know how many bags I need????? Then to top it all off, you have to bag yourself anyway.

:D for real? f'n canadians.. :D

When you put the item in the bag, it is all done by weight (I think). The scan knows what the item weighs, and if it weighs more, the big fat lady will come and get you.

Yep except if you just dont bag it at all. Also, the screen will say something to the effect of weight mismatch blah blah, then about 20 seconds later it lets you keep going without any employee intervention. Someone told me this, I'm not advocating it.

1. OK with self-checkout for small orders, not for large.

2. Prefer to bag myself. Especially at local place where I know it saves 5-10% over the other store.

3. Hate customer loyalty card with a passion, but have my parent's number memorized just in case. LOL.

:D for real? f'n canadians.. :D

That's the way they have done it in Sweden for decades. You have to bring your own bag or buy one from them. Ridiculous.

Alright well here's where the "tree-hugging lieberal" in me comes out .

You can't imagine the waste produced by plastic and paper bags for groceries, etc. It's unfathomable.

Should stores charge for bags? Probably not, that's rather lame and that's not the solution.

But recycling your plastic/paper bags somehow is a must.

You can't imagine the waste produced by plastic and paper bags for groceries, etc. It's unfathomable.

Should stores charge for bags? Probably not, that's rather lame and that's not the solution.

People that frequent this chain I'm sure just bring bags with them which does help in the environment form but I have no clue how many bags to buy and they should at least throw in 1 or 2 free and al least bag them for me. At this point they might as well just go to self serve checkouts.

Anything that minimizes my interactions with other people is a welcome technological innovation.

Agreed. That is why I think online colleges are doing so well so people avoid extra dooooshy professors. :D

:tup:

Actually, choose plastic. It is the better choice monetarily and for the environment...or so they told us when I was in bagger training...:D

Spain...please note...darin has "tree-hugging lieberal" in him. TIA.

:doh:

will not use them, more for the simple fact that they take away jobs. that and usually the moron that is actually there to help can't help you even if you need it!!

Moron: "you need to punch in the veggies code" ME: "I did" Moron: "It should've worked, just a minute while I help this other person trying to check themselves out and can't get the sales price to ring up" ME: "No, you kiss my ass and the cayose you rode in on rangerider!!"

Moron: "you need to take the item back out of the bag" or "did you scan the last item?" ME: "Well it beeped" and "why do I have to do your job anyway?" "Oh that's right it's so you can employ less people, yet give less service while getting paid more for being a turd!" "My bad" :D

Edited by Hugh B Tool

will not use them, more for the simple fact that they take away jobs. that and usually the moron that is actually there to help can't help you even if you need it!!

Moron: "you need to punch in the veggies code" ME: "I did" Moron: "It should've worked, just a minute while I help this other person trying to check themselves out and can't get the sales price to ring up" ME: "No, you kiss my ass and the cayose you rode in on rangerider!!"

Moron: "you need to take the item back out of the bag" or "did you scan the last item?" ME: "Well it beeped" and "why do I have to do your job anyway?" "Oh that's right it's so you can employ less people, yet give less service while getting paid more for being a turd!" "My bad" :D

Wow, that's some hate right there. Are you a little backed up? Did you not have your morning dump today?

Wow, that's some hate right there. Are you a little backed up? Did you not have your morning dump today?

Nope just like clockwork baby. Just don't like stuff pushed down my throat under the guise that it is really helping me out when really it is the other way around.

When did DMD turn into this guy?

I use the self-checkout as often as possible. I don't want to have to make small talk with the cashier. I want in and out as fast as possible. It's like pay-at-the-pump, and that's good stuff too. :D

Exactly- way easier, I use it all the time, and I want to get outta there ASAP. Lines are always shorter, and any time I can shave off, standing in line, and making small talk with the cashier is worth it.

Service in a grocery store :D cmon. You pretty much are already bagging your own groceries these days anyway, why not scan em and be done with it. I get pissed when another store doesn't have self-checkout.