[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I gotta ask...

DMD

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhhh, the advantages of living in a small town. At our local grocery there are no self-checkout lines. We, the customers, are all greeted by a buxomy young maiden who smiles at us and asks if we were able to find everything we needed. If I say "No" she tells me that maybe what I needed isn't on a shelf and if i will just tell her what it is that I need maybe she will be able to help me find it....

Ooooops. Wrong establishment. My bad. :D

• 5 months later...
What drives me nuts is when someone is in the self serve line with a cartful! There should be a item limit. And there should also be an age limit, because rest assured I will end up behind the 90 year old lady that cant figure out how to scan the items or pay for them.

:D

werd

public service announcement....

if you dont know how to use the self service checkout, pleas stay away!!!!

carry on

And while you're at it. Tell me that you still don't know how to use the freaking credit card scanner. Slide your freaking card and press yes. I know, they're not all exactly the same. But they're not that freaking different either! Old f'ers complain about how schools don't teach the basics anymore. Well, if you can freaking read, you can use one of those credit card scanners.

Somewhere, at some point in the 90's, the slogan "The Customer is Always Right" gave way to "We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service."

You know, in many ways, that's not entirely a bad thing. Quite simply, there's just more people fitting into smaller places. If merchants are to be held to the "customer is always right" deal, we all will suffer. There's just too many stupid people. If merchants have to pretend they're right when they're just too stupid to understand what's going on...

Now, this isn't carte blanche for merchants to just tell everyone to piss off. However, anyone who believes in personal accountability has to agree that you shouldn't be able to leave your brain at the door when you go to a store/restaurant/what-have-you and expect everything to be OK.

In general, I am irritated by the declining level of service. Being told that somebody has installed a phone system that requires me to work through a maze of options to get an answer "so they can better serve me" is nothing short of insulting. Certainly there are other issues.

Actually, I agree with much of what DMD says, despite the fact that I do use the self check out. Of course, the only reason why there's less of a line there is because only 2 or 3 of the 8 lanes have checkers at them. None the less, standing there trying to get the damned bar-code to scan over and over again only to have the mouthbreathing attendant come over and try the same thing to, amazingly the same result. Honestly, I think they skimp on the scanners for the self-serve...

Whatever. I suppose as reasonably intelligent and capable person, I'm just as often irritated by the idiot in front of me in line as I am by the half-wit behind the counter. Thus, I can't blame the downfall of society on the fact Popeflick mentions above.

Service is overrated. I dream of the day when machines take over.

Am I the only one that prefers the automated telephone menu services more then an actual person? The automated menu, 9/10, is smarter then anyone I'd talk too. I never use cash, only card, and I ALWAYS use self-checkout. Most cashiers are teenagers who are too dumb to count change, why would I let them check me out. I just trust machines more then humans. I guess that's the Software Engineer in me.

Service is overrated. I dream of the day when machines take over.

Am I the only one that prefers the automated telephone menu services more then an actual person? The automated menu, 9/10, is smarter then anyone I'd talk too. I never use cash, only card, and I ALWAYS use self-checkout. Most cashiers are teenagers who are too dumb to count change, why would I let them check me out. I just trust machines more then humans. I guess that's the Software Engineer in me.

You have been assimilated. Please stand in line and remember your ID number at all times. :D

You have been assimilated. Please stand in line and remember your ID number at all times. :D

The "mark of the beast" will be a chip implanted in each infant at birth that will be used for all life's purposes. We're just being led gently down the path.

I worked retail when I was a teenager. I work food service. I was never an idiot like people these days.

Then again maybe I am too young to be this grumpy...

I know alot of people in retail and most of them are not idiots either.

What's sad is the general public now. Have we been inbreeding for the past 20 years?

I don't mind the self checkout since it is usually much quicker to get out (but more and more people are using them now).

And another thing.... If my items total up $11.53 and I give the cashier $22.03 why in the name of all that is good do these morons freak out? "Uh... it's only $11.53. You gave me too much". "Uh, I only want a ten and two quarters back instead of a five, three ones, a quarter, two dimes and two pennies back YOU IDIOT -Just ring it up and see what happens".

This used to drive me nuts if I give them something like $12.03 for your example, sometimes they try to give the 3c back. It really used to get on my nerves if they whipped out a calculator, "Just punch it in the register, trust me."

But I find I do not carry much cash anymore (my wife thinks I should carry more than I do). Everyone takes debit or credit cards these days.

The "mark of the beast" will be a chip implanted in each infant at birth that will be used for all life's purposes. We're just being led gently down the path.

I shall not go gently into that good night...