[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Garnett to the Lakers?

Big Country

I doubt anything comes of it, but local media here in LA is reporting the Jerry Buss has instructed Mitch Kupchak to keep talks going in a potential 3-way deal.

Not sure of all the players involved, but the krux of the deal has Odom and Bynum going to the Pacers, a pair of 1st round picks going to Minnesota and Garnett to the Lakers.

Will be interesting if there is any fire to this smoke.

Those three slapsticks on after Rome on 850 are fricken hilarious to listen to. They were talking about this the other day. I couldn't stop laughing.

I'd love to get KG on the Stones. Hope Joe D. is working something.

Latest and greatest:

LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles Lakers are aggressively pursuing trades — and their main target reportedly is Kevin Garnett in what would be a clear attempt to placate a disgruntled Kobe Bryant.

The Lakers' proposal, according to the Los Angeles Times, includes forward Lamar Odom and center Andrew Bynum. But that might not be enough to acquire the 31-year-old Garnett, one of the NBA's most talented and versatile big men.

Fact is, considering the Lakers are all the way down at No. 19 in the first round of Thursday's draft, they might not have what it takes to acquire the 10-time All-Star. Garnett averaged 22.4 points, 12.8 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 1.7 blocked shots for a team that went 32-50 last season.

Lakers spokesman John Black declined comment Tuesday, and Timberwolves general manager Kevin McHale has done the same through team spokesman Mike Cristaldi.

"We felt the team underachieved last year," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said last week. "We could stick with the group as it is today, or we can look to be aggressive and try to get to that next level. Either way, we think we'll be a talented team next year."

Bryant, the NBA's leading scorer the past two seasons, complained about a lack of talent around him at season's end, and later said he wanted to be traded, adding nothing could change his mind.

Despite that request, the Lakers have made clear that trading Bryant isn't in their plans. Bryant is owned $88.6 million over the next four seasons, but could terminate his contract in two years.

Garnett is under contract for two more years at $22 million next season and $23 million the following year, but he could opt out next summer — a development that could spur the Timberwolves to action.

It was first reported the Indiana Pacers and Boston Celtics were involved in four-team negotiations with the Lakers and Timberwolves, but those talks broke down, leaving Los Angeles and Minnesota alone in the discussions.

The 27-year-old Odom will earn $13.5 million next season and $14.6 million in 2008-09 — the final year of his contract. The 19-year-old Bynum, taken with the 10th overall pick in the 2005 draft, is due $2.2 million next season.

Lakers center Kwame Brown, owed $9.1 next season in the final year of his contract, also could be involved, as could Minnesota guards Troy Hudson and/or Marko Jaric. Hudson has three years left on his contract and Jaric four.

Kupchak has said the Lakers are looking for a veteran ball-handling guard.

Odom and Brown both underwent surgery last month, but Kupchak believes both will be ready to go when training camp begins in October.

McHale said last week he has always listened to trade proposals involving Garnett, adding: "Nothing has changed. You always listen. You listen, and it doesn't go very far and it hasn't gone very far now."

That was last week. Perhaps that's changed.

The Lakers and Timberwolves were Western Conference finalists following the 2003-04 season, but neither has been close in the last three years.

The Lakers traded Shaquille O'Neal to Miami after that season, and after missing the playoffs in 2005, they were eliminated in the first round by Phoenix each of the last two years. The Timberwolves haven't made the playoffs since 2004.

While he's expressed the hope of improving the Lakers, Kupchak knows how difficult making a major trade can be for several reasons.

"I can't say that until a deal is made," he said. "They change on a hairpin."

This just opened the other 28 teams eyes, that Garnett is really on the block. Expect him to be moved, but not to LA, unless a 3rd team gets in the mix.

Id love to see Dallas send SG - Jason Terry, SF - Josh Howard and C Eric Dampier for Garnett. But even that seems far fetched. Dallas needs to keep Devin harris at all cost, the dude is going to be better than Tony Parker, is already quicker and better going to the basket, just needs to do what Parker did, improve his mid range jump shot. Can you imagine, a penatrating PG, dishing to Garnett, or kicking back out to Dirk. man that would be nice. Even if it is just a pipe dream.

Can you imagine, a penatrating PG, dishing to Garnett, or kicking back out to Dirk. man that would be nice. Even if it is just a pipe dream.

This would create the same situation as in Phoenix. Marion is forced to play SF the majority of the time because of Stoudemire when his natural position is PF and he is much more comfortable there. Who would you move to SF or C, Dirk or KG?

It's a nice thought, and I think Dallas needs to make some moves. I just think they could make a better one for a lot less $. Maybe, a run at Mr. Billups?

This would create the same situation as in Phoenix. Marion is forced to play SF the majority of the time because of Stoudemire when his natural position is PF and he is much more comfortable there. Who would you move to SF or C, Dirk or KG?

It's a nice thought, and I think Dallas needs to make some moves. I just think they could make a better one for a lot less $. Maybe, a run at Mr. Billups?

Billups will resign in Detroit. Dallas cant get him unless its a sign and trade as they are already over the cap.

IF Dallas traded for Garnett this would be the starting lineup

PG - Devin Harris

SG - Maurice Ager or Jerry Stackhouse

SF - Dirk

PF - Garnett

C - Diop

But a deal sending 3 starters for Garnett would severly limit the depth on the bench. Though Diop is a better C than Dampier now anyway, defensively anyway. And Dampier wasnt a scorer to begin with.

Phoenix would have to deal Stoudemire to get Garnett from Min. Marion has already said he wouldnt sign an extension there, and Min already said Diaw isnt a strong enough piece to even get Min to even consider sending garnett there. Min wants an all-star calibur player if they are going to deal. Phoenix wont deal Nash, and Barbosa isnt going to get it done.

Will be interesting, but I love the egg on Boston. First they tank games last yr to get more balls in the lottery, then miss out completely on the top 4 players. Then they make a deal for Garnett, and Garnett tells them, sorry I dont want to go there. Marion says virtually the same thing, and J Oneal doesnt want to be there either.

If KG leaves the T-Wolves are going to have even worse crowds than 2006-7 and that was bad enough. The Joe Smith contract disaster continues to plague Minnesota. McHale and Taylor are a pair of cretins. The list of bad decisions by these two is almost endless.

If KG does leave, I hope he goes to a real contender and gets the ring he thoroughly deserves for all the work he's put in battling against the odds and the crap management here.

Jeez, if he went to Dallas, I'd even have to pull for them in the playoffs. :D:D

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Local media last night was reporting that Garnett to the lakers is essentially dead, but that there is a new 3-way deal being haevily discussed that would result in Garnett to the Suns.

They didn't give any details on who the third team was or what Phoenix would be giving up, so I am figuring it is basically a lot of smoke right now.

Local media last night was reporting that Garnett to the lakers is essentially dead, but that there is a new 3-way deal being haevily discussed that would result in Garnett to the Suns.

They didn't give any details on who the third team was or what Phoenix would be giving up, so I am figuring it is basically a lot of smoke right now.

I just heard a guy from the Arizona Republic on Seattle radio saying that Garnett has the most complicated contract in the league in terms of making it work in a trade. That and they wouldn't part with Marion or Stoudamire.

Marion is not a PF- he is a great 3 though. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Suns deal Marion and others for KG, if they can make it work cap-wise. Marion behind the scenes wants to be da man, not 3rd fiddle in Phoenix.

for KG's sake- I would love to see him in Phoenix -

another twist. Atlanta getting Stoudamire, Phoenix getting Garnett and Minn getting the #3 pick +.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2917781

There was a growing sentiment around the league Tuesday night that the Kevin Garnett sweepstakes are nearing a conclusion and that the Phoenix Suns are the most likely winners, with two trade scenarios emerging that could potentially land Garnett in the desert by draft night.

With the Los Angeles Lakers' attempts to construct a multi-team deal or a direct trade with the Minnesota Timberwolves collapsing, ESPN's Jim Gray reports that talk of a potential three-team trade that would involve Minnesota, Boston and Phoenix has been rekindled, in which the primary cost to the Suns would be All-Star forward Shawn Marion moving to the Celtics.

Yet an even bigger trade concept, ESPN.com has learned, was hatched Tuesday by the Wolves, in which Phoenix would likely be asked to trade away the player it has been trying not to trade, All-NBA center Amare Stoudemire, who would go to the Atlanta Hawks.

Either way, indications from various NBA front-office sources suggest that Garnett being moved in conjunction with Thursday's draft looks more likely than ever before, with the Suns -- identified by ESPN.com last week as KG's first choice for a new home -- in prime position to make the big score.

In the scenario reported by Gray, Garnett would go to Phoenix, Boston would land Marion and the Wolves would receive a package featuring the No. 5 overall pick in Thursday's draft along with undisclosed players from the Celtics and Suns.

The key stumbling block for Boston would be Marion's reluctance to play for the Celtics, which sources say was conveyed to both teams last week when the idea of a three-team trade involving these clubs was first made public. With Marion possessing the right to opt out of his contract after next season and become a free agent in July 2008, Boston would undoubtedly be seeking assurances from Marion's camp that he's interested in signing an extension with the Celtics, even though league rules technically would preclude such negotiations until after July 1 (and after the trade).

Head Of The Class

Kevin Garnett is a double-double machine. In fact, no player in NBA history has had as many consecutive seasons of averaging at least 20 points, 10 rebounds and 4 assists per season as the Timberwolves forward.

Player Seasons

Kevin Garnett 9 (1998-2006)

Larry Bird 6 (1979-1984)

Wilt Chamberlain 6 (1965-1970)

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 5 (1971-1975)

Charles Barkley 5 (1990-1994)

Another possible stumbling block: Minnesota, sources say, has been adamant that any trade with Boston would include Al Jefferson. The Celtics, in turn, are willing to part with Jefferson only if they're the team that gets Garnett. It remains to be seen if either side softens its stance in the final hours before the draft.

In the newer trade scenario, sources say, Minnesota is looking to acquire Atlanta's No. 3 and No. 11 picks in the draft along with several cap-friendly contracts from the Hawks and Suns. To participate, Atlanta wants Stoudemire from Phoenix.

Such a trade would hold significantly greater appeal to Minnesota than any Celtics' offer that didn't include Jefferson. The Hawks, meanwhile, would be able to reunite Stoudemire with ex-Suns teammate Joe Johnson and immediately field a promising big-and-small core to build around and make Atlanta competitive, given the current state of the Eastern Conference.

The Suns, though, are understandably reluctant to part with Stoudemire after he made the All-NBA first team in what appears to be the most successful comeback from microfracture knee surgery that the NBA has ever witnessed.

The Lakers, meanwhile, haven't abandoned all hope of partnering Garnett with the increasingly frustrated Kobe Bryant just yet. Another concept in circulation Tuesday raised the possibility of a multi-team trade in which the Indiana Pacers' Jermaine O'Neal would go to Atlanta, with Lakers forward Lamar Odom and young center Andrew Bynum heading to the Pacers. That package, at worst, would send the No. 3 pick in the draft to Minnesota as the main payoff for Garnett.

But the Suns increasingly look like the favorites, given that Phoenix is Garnett's preferred destination if he has to leave the only NBA city he has ever known and with the Suns clearly possessing more trade assets. The Wolves are looking for a combination of high draft picks, top young talent and expiring contracts to provide cap relief. The Lakers don't have a draft pick higher than No. 19 to offer and Minnesota, sources say, is not interested in Odom because of the two years and nearly $28 million left on the lanky lefty's contract.

It's believed that the Suns will continue trying to keep Stoudemire out of any deal, but sources say that the athletically gifted 24-year-old is not untouchable -- not with the Wolves having finally made the philosophical commitment to end the Garnett Era after years of speculation and with Phoenix feeling as though there is no better player it could acquire to counter San Antonio's Tim Duncan, who is seen as the Suns' biggest obstacle to getting out of the Western Conference playoffs.

Sources say Minnesota, furthermore, clearly hopes to complete a Garnett trade before the draft begins in hopes of securing a pick in first half of the lottery to go with its own No. 7 selection. The fact that Wolves owner Glen Taylor left the country for China on Tuesday afternoon for his honeymoon doesn't appear to have slowed the Wolves down at all.

Yet it remains to be seen if the Hawks, who have been notoriously reluctant to make roster moves of any sort for months because of their uncertain ownership situation, will actually commit to join in on a trade of this magnitude.

In any case, it's a trade that, even without completion, has seemingly eclipsed one of the most anticipated drafts in years.

Im not so sure garnett is better than Stoudemire. Garnett is older, and certainly has fewer yrs to play than Amare. I dont see Garnett on that squad as an upgrade offensively, though he could play better D on Duncan in the playoffs.

Yeah - wow, Amare for KG- that would be hugh, and I thought Phx would never deal Amare. BUT. Their window is closing- Nash only has 2-3 more years at this level left in him- they are right there in knocking off SA- maybe they are saying eff it- we have to make a run now- in that case I could see it. KG in that system would be sick, very interesting.........

It's being reported on ESPN radio here in Phoenix that a 3 way deal between Boston/Minnesota/Phoenix is about to be finalized. Shawn Marion met with the Suns brass last night to confirm that he is not in their long term plans. It is reported that today he is on his way to Boston to talk to the Celtic's brass about a long term big $$ deal. If he approves the trade (he has a no trade clause or "opt-out agreement") here's what's being said is completed - ALL 3 teams are ready to pull the trigger.

MINNESOTA gets: #5 overall pick AND Theo Ratliff from Boston, Kurt Thomas from Phoenix...

BOSTON gets: Shawn Marion and the Suns #29 overall pick..

SUNS get: Kevin Garnett

We'll see if anything comes of this or not... As a Suns fan, I dont want to see Marion go, but love the thought of having a true defensive big man in the middle.

Edited by Shorttynaz

It's being reported on ESPN radio here in Phoenix that a 3 way deal between Boston/Minnesota/Phoenix is about to be finalized. Shawn Marion met with the Suns brass last night to confirm that he is not in their long term plans. It is reported that today he is on his way to Boston to talk to the Celtic's brass about a long term big $$ deal. If he approves the trade (he has a no trade clause or "opt-out agreement") here's what's being said is completed - ALL 3 teams are ready to pull the trigger.

MINNESOTA gets: #5 overall pick AND Theo Ratliff from Boston, Kurt Thomas from Phoenix...

We'll see if anything comes of this or not... As a Suns fan, I dont want to see Marion go, but love the thought of having a true defensive big man in the middle.

wow ..that would be huge ...lifts suns that much closer to title in my oponion ...minnesota wont have much too show for it though

There is no way in hell Minnesota does that deal. #5 pick and 2 spares for Garnett. Keep dreaming

There is no way in hell Minnesota does that deal. #5 pick and 2 spares for Garnett. Keep dreaming

It's all rumors at this point. It may not seem like a boatload for him, but they already have the #7 pick. They would be getting the #5 pick. And throw in 2 veteran big men. Pair them up with some SOLID draft picks. They're not going to the NBA finals, but it would make their team better! Besides, Garnett is aging. It's only a year or 2 before he's on the downfall of his career. Get something for him now before it's too late. And as much as I hate the Lakers, that's what they SHOULD be trying to do with Kobe. I mean you've got the best player in the league on your team. However he's also getting to the later stages of that "prime". Trade him while his value couldn't be any higher. Get a boatload for him and/or a nice couple of draft picks. This is one of the best draft classes in quite some time. Get something for Kobe before it's too late. However they wont. And I can only hope that Kobe opts out of his contract next year and bails, leaving the Lakers high and dry!

By Chad Ford and Marc Stein

ESPN.com

Updated: June 27, 2007, 10:05 AM ET

There was a growing sentiment around the league Tuesday night that the Kevin Garnett sweepstakes are nearing a conclusion and that the Phoenix Suns are the most likely winners, that could potentially land Garnett in the desert by draft night.

With the Los Angeles Lakers' attempts to construct a multi-team deal or a direct trade with the Minnesota Timberwolves collapsing, ESPN's Jim Gray reports that talk of a potential three-team trade that would involve Minnesota, Boston and Phoenix has been rekindled, in which the primary cost to the Suns would be All-Star forward Shawn Marion moving to the Celtics.

Indications from various NBA front-office sources suggest that Garnett being moved in conjunction with Thursday's draft looks more likely than ever before, with the Suns -- identified by ESPN.com last week as KG's first choice for a new home -- in prime position to make the big score.

In the scenario reported by Gray, Garnett would go to Phoenix, Boston would land Marion and the Wolves would receive a package featuring the No. 5 overall pick in Thursday's draft along with Theo Ratliff of the Celtics and Kurt Thomas of the Suns. Phoenix may also include their No. 29 overall pick to Minnesota.

The key stumbling block for Boston would be Marion's reluctance to play for the Celtics, which sources say was conveyed to both teams last week when the idea of a three-team trade involving these clubs was first made public. With Marion possessing the right to opt out of his contract after next season and become a free agent in July 2008, Boston would undoubtedly be seeking assurances from Marion's camp that he's interested in signing an extension with the Celtics, even though league rules technically would preclude such negotiations until after July 1 (and after the trade).

TODAY on a local radio show, they had stated that Shawn Marion is on his way to Boston to discuss a long term big $$ deal. Take it as you wish. I just read another article stating that Boston says they're not trading away the #5 pick, but IN THAT ARTICLE, it states that they are still talking to a few teams and a big multi-team blockbuster trade is definitely not out of the question.

Edited by Shorttynaz

New article from Yahoo that has Stoudemire going to Atlanta, similar to as mentioned previously:

NEW YORK – Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett is close to going to the Phoenix Suns in a monumental three-way trade that would send Phoenix forward Amare Stoudemire to the Atlanta Hawks, league sources said Wednesday.

Atlanta would move the Nos. 3 and 11 picks in Thursday's draft, as well as Zaza Pachulia and Anthony Johnson, to Minnesota.

Minnesota owner Glen Taylor has delivered a mandate to his basketball executives to get a deal done, one league executive said.

Yahoo! Sports has learned that the trade would also save the Hawks from an emerging showdown between the front office and coaching staff over whom to draft with the third pick. The front office and coaching staff had settled on Florida power forward Al Horford, but a faction of the Atlanta Spirit ownership group, with business interests in China, is pushing them to take Yi Jianlian.

The deal hinges on Atlanta general manager Billy Knight saying yes, as well as Hawks ownership, which is mired in lawsuits, being willing to increase payroll. It is believed that star Hawks guard Joe Johnson talked to his former Suns teammate on Wednesday and that the 24-year-old Stoudemire, a first-team All-NBA choice, told him that he'd welcome the trade.

This is the most likely scenerio. No way Phoenix gets Garnett without giving up Amare.

Then I don't understand what they are thinking unless they now are going to keep Marion?

I can see why Minnesota would let Garnett go for the #3 and #11.

Atlanta is Atlanta and Amare would at least give fans a reason to show up to watch.

What I don't get in Phoenix is why you'd trade Garnett straight-up for Amare unless you've now decided to keep Marion :D . How are Nash and Garnett in anyway an upgrade over Nash, Marion and Stoudemire? Am I missing some picks to Phoenix too?