[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Okay MySpacers

CarryTheRock

I going through on my computer this morning and deleting pictures and stuff when I found a folder that had a snap load of pictures in it and the little "add me" "favorite" type buttons on an MySpace contact table. Some of the pictures I recognize as pics used by spammers (Like when there will be the same pic requesting to be added to friends from three different names at the same time). I deleted the file and emptied the recysle bin so I can't find them to give more detail.

Freaks me out. I can do with out the place, I have a page on there I never use but I have a page for a websie too.

Makes me wonder. A couple weeks ago I found this pic of a couple girls laying together nekked in a file with some other stuff. I burned my daughter on that one because there were some of her pics in the file she uses on a profile.

So, anyone have something like this happen?

Myspace is notorious for spammers and such because it is so popular. My kid has a page there and spend too much time on it and I even have a page I never use. You just have to be extremely careful what buttons you click and what you allow MySpace to do with files.

Social Networking sites are some of the biggest threats to our kids. They do not believe it though. A recent poll showed that more than 50% of kids thought it was not a danger to post pics and personal information.

Pedophilic predators are all over those pages! We can't stop our kids from using the technology. Sh!t, most kids treat it as a proprietary item and are offended that "old" people are involved with it. Somehow, you have to give your kids the tools to protect themselves and then hope they trust you, or another adult enough to let you know when they think they are in trouble.

Don't browbeat your kids for "security" indiscretions, just try to use it as a learning experience.

HERE :tup: is an excellent resource for parents AND kids! Please check it out!

Remember, technology is neutral. It is only as good :doh: or as bad :D as the person using it!

:D

I would strongly, strongly recommend that anyone that has a kid who has a myspace page ensure that it is private (by invitation only - not viewable by the general public) and to know your childs password and check on his page from time to time, including emails (inbox) and bulletin board stuff. If you do not know your kics password, just go to his/her machine and use the "forgot password" feature and it will be emailed back to your kids email address.

My daughter doesn't have a MySpace page but her and her friends use Bebo. I'm sure that the file I found with all the pics in it were from when I was on there. That was just weird. Spammer "profile" pics and even the buttons.

I would strongly, strongly recommend that anyone that has a kid who has a myspace page ensure that it is private (by invitation only - not viewable by the general public) and to know your childs password and check on his page from time to time, including emails (inbox) and bulletin board stuff. If you do not know your kics password, just go to his/her machine and use the "forgot password" feature and it will be emailed back to your kids email address.

There are software programs that you can get that operate in a "stealth" mode on your kids computer. They have no idea it is running and will provide you a report, sent to your e-Mail that gives a keystroke report on every sign-on session.

This type of "monitoring" is less intrusive and inspires a little more trust in your kids towards you. If you do see something weird, you need to come up with a protocol or story as to why you want to talk to your kid about i-net activity. Using this type of software usually allows you to spot problems before they get too big, and the "intrusion" into your kids "privacy' is not perceived as a big deal.

Bebo is actually worse than MySpace for internet predators and bullying. We have received many reports of questionable activity on Bebo and the company itself is very reluctant to act in any supportive role to either parental or law enforcement concerns. It is a foreign company and they don't feel the same pressure/obligation to US influence.

A couple more good links:

Virtual Global Task Force

Think You Know

Good resources for both kids and parents! :D