[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Future Hall Of Famers

keggerz

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is all. I think some of you, especially Urlacher Is God, need to realize how difficult it is to make the Hall. Ask Art Monk.

I agree here on how hard it is to get in, but I'm surprised that you don't expect Woodson in. Or maybe you just consider him getting in as a Raven :D

I agree here on how hard it is to get in, but I'm surprised that you don't expect Woodson in. Or maybe you just consider him getting in as a Raven :D

So just curious who on your homer team you think is a Lock for the HOF or has a shot at it(current rostered players not retired ones)

He probably didn't list Woodson because he can read (though his listing of Bettis puts that in doubt).

He took his team to how many NFC Champ games in a row. and 1 Sb. With nothing around him on offense for most of that time. He will be remembered as a 1 man offense for many of those solid yrs Philly had. I cant believe Im defending a bird to a birds fan.

If his career ended today I don't think he would. Certainly an upper-echelon starter and I'd agree that he was largely alone on offense, but the notion of "if he had stayed healthy" will play against him. Three straight NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl appearance (which he puked in, hardly a shining moment) are good, but not overwhelming. I don't think his statistics over that time are impressive enough to get him. If he stays healthy and performs at a high level for a few more years (or wins a SB), then I think he has a shot.

Locks:

Gonzalez

Law

Maybe:

Derrick Johnson

Donnie Edwards

LJ

Locks that just retired:

Shields

Roaf

I'll add Brian Waters as a "maybe" ... he is the only offensive lineman to ever win offensive player of the week and he's becoming a solid year-in-year-out pro-bowler and is approaching the half-way mark of his career.

49ers:

larry allen (for his cowboys days)

possibly bryant young (though i'm not counting on it):

CAREER: One of the most respected and disruptive defensive players in the NFL…Possesses explosive combination of speed, strength, quickness and intensity...Third all-time in team history with 77.5 career sacks…Won the team’s LEN ESHMONT AWARD, symbolic of player who best exemplifies courage and leadership, for the sixth time and the second time in consecutive years (1996, ’98, ’99, 2000, ’04, ‘05)...Became first player to ever win the award three consecutive years (1998, ’99, 2000)...First five-time winner of team’s most prestigious award... Recipient of the 2005 ED BLOCK COURAGE AWARD, honoring a player for overcoming injury or hardship… Recipient of the first ever BILL WALSH AWARD in 2004, awarded to the team MVP as voted on by the coaching staff…Has earned PRO BOWL honors four times (1996, ‘99, 2001, ‘02)...Was named first-team ALL-PRO in 1996 and 1998 and second team in 1999 and 2001...Drive and determination was exploited after returning from career-threatening broken leg in 1999...Was named NFL COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR for his efforts...Impact with 49ers was instant as he earned NFL DEFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR from UPI in 1994.

I'll add Brian Waters as a "maybe" ... he is the only offensive lineman to ever win offensive player of the week and he's becoming a solid year-in-year-out pro-bowler and is approaching the half-way mark of his career.

:D I almost, almost put on there that I felt I was missing someone, that would be the one.

Edited by Hat Trick

No, Woodson will get in and will be wearing Black and Gold :D

I was just listing current players and threw Bettis in there because he was freshly retired.

So were Sterling Sharpe and Terrell Davis.

Well, if we're going to include potential injuries then this thread is pretty much over before it started.

Again, you can laugh all you want about Vasher, but he's right on track, whereas those other UiG listed (besides Urlacher and Kruetz) are clearly not.

I'm not saying Vasher isn't a fine player, but to start putting someone on a list after 3 years is mind-boggling to me. That'd be like me putting AJ Hawk up there.

I'm not saying Vasher isn't a fine player, but to start putting someone on a list after 3 years is mind-boggling to me. That'd be like me putting AJ Hawk up there.

If we're putting up 3 year players, I'm putting up Roy "The Truth" Williams.

What is the major factor in linebacker's getting into the hall? Total tackles or something along those lines?

For DBs it would be INTs, as most INT leaders who are DBs are in the Hall, correct?

Here's the list of guys with 50+

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Natio...r_interceptions

Vasher is on pace with his picks -after three years-

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/493100

Nine year career and he's at 45 at his pace. That's a pace that gets him in the hall if he plays 12.

That's what this thread is about, isn't it? If he had 8 picks at this point you couldn't even talk about him.

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/player78.html

Tillman has 14 in four years, which is well off pace so he's not even a maybe.

Ward has a decent shot (The Super Bowl MVP will help)

I think some of you, especially Urlacher Is God, need to realize how difficult it is to make the Hall. Ask Art Monk.

I know you wrote that he has a "decent shot" but if Art Monk is not in the Hall, no way Hines Ward is a HOFer.

What is the major factor in linebacker's getting into the hall? Total tackles or something along those lines?

For DBs it would be INTs, as most INT leaders who are DBs are in the Hall, correct?

Here's the list of guys with 50+

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Natio...r_interceptions

Vasher is on pace with his picks -after three years-

Nine year career and he's at 45 at his pace. That's a pace that gets him in the hall if he plays 12.

That's what this thread is about, isn't it? If he had 8 picks at this point you couldn't even talk about him.

I think for RBs and WRs and QBs, there are definite statistical benchmarks that can help point you in the direction of greatness.

For defensive players, it's a bit more nebulous - some people who've hit what should be notable benchmarks - like Kevin Greene in sacks - may or may not be regarded as a HoF candidate. Darren Sharper has 49 career ints and has a pretty good shot at ending with 60+; I have a hard time thinking of him as a "dominant" Hall of Fame guy. Or even his former battery mate Eugene Robinson. It took Paul Krause forever to get in. And projecting consistent INT totals is even more quixotic than attempting to project other stats. In Green Bay in particular, guys like Mark Lee and Tom Flynn have popped off 9 int seasons and disappeared into the ether, for all intents and purposes.

By the same token, I don't think anyone has any idea where LT ranks on total tackles and is sliding in the total sacks, but I don't think anyone can argue his importance. Zach Thomas has racked up tons of tackles, but while a terrific player, I think he's borderline at best. IDP in fantasy has indicated that sometimes tackling machines don't have major impact on the game - even at this point in his career, I think AJ Hawk looks like a game-changer, where tackle-hog Nick Barnett is just a good player who does what he's supposed to and doesn't impact things.

To make it short, I guess it boils down to a) attempting to project int totals is futile in 99% of the cases; and b ) defensive stats matter less than you'd think.

I know you wrote that he has a "decent shot" but if Art Monk is not in the Hall, no way Hines Ward is a HOFer.

You are right, but, sometimes getting in the Hall can be a strange thing. Ward's numbers are actually better than Lynne Swann's. Also, Ward has the Super Bowl MVP thing going for him, but, you are probably right, he is probably more of a long shot.

Timely article, especially regarding defensive players:

- Champ Bailey with less than 40 ints is a lock

- 120+ sack man, with a plethora of 10 sack seasons, Simeon Rice is bubble at best

- tackling machine Zach Thomas isn't worthy

- 49 int guy Darren Sharper doesn't bear mention

- 50 int CB Ty Law is regarded as a bubble guy (though I think Prisco is pretty clearly wrong on this - voters will look at "rings" and decide Law is worthy)

I've been critical of Prisco in the past, but I think his opinions here are at least worth noting.

Edited by Chavez

You are right, but, sometimes getting in the Hall can be a strange thing. Ward's numbers are actually better than Lynne Swann's. Also, Ward has the Super Bowl MVP thing going for him, but, you are probably right, he is probably more of a long shot.

Much as I think Swann has no business in the HoF, comparing the numbers of a guy who played in the pass-anemic 70s to someone from today's era, where offensive stats are inflated across the board, is folly.

I think the HoF is based on a subjective eye test - have you ever looked at Hines Ward vs other WRs - Moss, Owens, Harrison, etc - and thought "Man, he is clearly tops in the league at his position"?

Well, maybe YOU have :D but I think most regard Ward as being what he is - a good, tough, productive, hard-working, classy player. A "Hall of the Pretty Damn Good" candidate.

Much as I think Swann has no business in the HoF, comparing the numbers of a guy who played in the pass-anemic 70s to someone from today's era, where offensive stats are inflated across the board, is folly.

I think the HoF is based on a subjective eye test - have you ever looked at Hines Ward vs other WRs - Moss, Owens, Harrison, etc - and thought "Man, he is clearly tops in the league at his position"?

Well, maybe YOU have :D but I think most regard Ward as being what he is - a good, tough, productive, hard-working, classy player. A "Hall of the Pretty Damn Good" candidate.

Actually, the offenses that Hines has played in very much resembles those of the 70's. I don't know if you noticed, but, the Steelers have never passed very often. I know I'll get the homer reaction, but, when you take the total package of blocking & receiving, I'll put Hines up with anyone. However, I'll agree that his blocking skills probably won't earn him a trip to the Hall, but, those around football recognize it.

I can't remember the GM who was on with Riggins and Schein a few years ago, he was asked at the time, "Would you rather have Terrell Owens or Randy Moss ? " He answered, "I'll take Hines Ward over both of them in a second"

I'll agree that his blocking skills probably won't earn him a trip to the Hall, but, those around football recognize it.

I can't remember the GM who was on with Riggins and Schein a few years ago, he was asked at the time, "Would you rather have Terrell Owens or Randy Moss ? " He answered, "I'll take Hines Ward over both of them in a second"

The problem is he most likely doesn't vote for Hall inclusion.

The problem is he most likely doesn't vote for Hall inclusion.

I'm not really arguing with you, he is probably a long shot to make the hall of fame. I'm just saying that people around football know what Hines Ward value is as a complete package at the Wide Receiver position.

Interesting read. I more or less agree with him, excpet for the following....

(1) How is Jonathan Ogden on a higher level than Orlando Pace? I think that both will deservedly get in, but I've always thought that Pace did a better job of pass-protecting than Ogden.

(2) How does Rodney Harrison have a shot at Canton, while Tedy Bruschi doesn't? I realize that Bruschi isn't on the same level as Ray Lewis or Urlacher, but Aikman and Irvin were never the best at their positions, either. Right or wrong, rings mean a lot to the voters and I'm pretty sure that SOMEBODY from those dominant Pats defenses will get in (my money is on either Law or Bruschi). Taking the Pats to four SBs, winning three rings, playing at a high level in the playoffs, being the heart and soul of the Pats defense for the past 11 years, coming back from a stroke for love of the game, and being a well-liked guy around the league has to count for something. Rodney Harrison has had a very good career, but it's been marred with injuries over the past few years and being a cheap-short artist punk won't help him. I think that Bruschi would have to play for another 2 years or so and would even then have a tough time. But I think that he has a legitimate shot.

(3) Kevin Mawae is, IMO, the best center to have played in the league over the past 15-20 years. He gets in.

(4) Rod Smith on the bubble? I don't think that he has a shot. Like Jimmy Smith, he had a couple standout seasons, but just doesn't have the overall numbers or massive playoff success to overcome the lack of numbers. WRs who played in that era are going to need to have Isaac Bruce's numbers or better to get in, IMO.

Edited by Bill Swerski