[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just read this...

Fatman

MADRID, Spain (CNN) -- Spanish police have arrested an Italian man and a Portuguese woman with possible links to Madeleine McCann, the four-year-old British girl who vanished nearly two months ago during a vacation in Portugal, Spanish government and police officials tell CNN.

The Italian man was arrested on a French international arrest warrant on an unrelated case involving the alleged torture of a child, a police official said Thursday.

The Portuguese woman, his romantic partner, was arrested because she was with him at their luxury home in southern Spain, but was not named on the French warrant, the police official said.

After their arrests, police began checking further and suspect they may have "made a call trying to collect the reward," for the return of Madeleine, the police official said.

The government official said, "It could be a person that was trying to collect the reward."

Both officials insisted on anonymity and cautioned that no firm links have yet been established with the case of Madeleine.

The couple was arrested around 5 a.m. Thursday in the luxury residential development of Soto Grande, in Cadiz province near the town of Algeciras and the British colony of Gibraltar, the officials said.

They are still in that area, and have not been taken to Madrid, the police official said.

A Portuguese police officer who has been involved in the search for Madeleine told CNN that two people were arrested in southern Spain near Algeciras, initially on a matter unrelated to Madeleine, but then were questioned about their potential involvement in the case. He said he had no further details.

CNN partner station CNN+ reported that the Italian man is under suspicion for possibly trying to contact the parents of Madeleine with a view to extorting money.

Madeleine was snatched on May 3 from a hotel room in Portugal's Algarve region after her parents left her and her two-year-old twin brother and sister alone while they went to a nearby restaurant inside the hotel complex in Praia da Luz, a tiny resort town.

Madeleine's parents, Kate and Gerry McCann, have campaigned internationally to secure the safe return of their daughter, including having a meeting with Pope Benedict XVI and securing support from soccer star David Beckham. They also met recently in Madrid with Spain's interior minister, who is in charge of Spanish police.

Police have identified just one suspect in the case, but made no arrests before Thursday.

---

I didn't follow this story too much when it first broke, but I just read this article. Are you kidding me? The parents left a 4 year old and two 2 year olds alone to go have dinner? I don't feel nearly as bad for the parents and feel even worse for the little girl...f'n morans. :D

Edited by Fatman

I didn't follow this story too much when it first broke, but I just read this article. Are you kidding me? The parents left a 4 year old and two 2 year olds alone to go have dinner? I don't feel nearly as bad for the parents and feel even worse for the little girl...f'n morans. :D

Agreed. I think that I read somewhere that the restaurant was basically an outdoor dinning place and it was only 50 yards from the patio to their personal suite. Either way, there is no excuse for leaving your children unattended in a public resort.

I hope you're fishing. Yep, you gotta be fishing.

No, I'm actually serious. I'm pretty facking sick of our society's approach toward other's mistakes and how the media has tainted our perception of reality. The media over the past few decades has basically converted to judge and jury over everyone and there is a trickle down effect that seems to devour the truth in people. I read everyone's B.S on these here boards daily and I hear the same judging mentality at work and with friends. Everyone is perfect - or so they think.

Bottom line - people make mistakes all the facking time. Sometimes those mistakes cost lives and sometimes those mistakes are easily cleaned up (spilled milk) but in the end they are still mistakes. I am not saying what they did is right, obviously, and it was very stupid - but there was no intent of harm by the parents - do we as a humane society really believe that "throwing the book" at these parents will do anything good for anyone? It is really time that we as humans really start to evaluate how we conduct ourselves and judge others - it's always easy when it's not YOU. I believe we should only punish those who intend on harming others.

Another example is drunk-driving. I've always vowed that if someone I knew and loved was killed by a drunk driver - I would not want that person going to prison. How can I send someone to prison in good conscience when I have drank and drove plenty of times? Sure, I have not killed anyone but I made the same poor decision to get behind the wheel after being Sega!-faced - I have just been fortunate enough to have nothing seriously bad happen.

Be honest - everyone here has made mistakes that could have gone much worse but we have been lucky. Why should the unlucky people be punished? We need to look at ourselves when we judge others. The parents have a life time of suffering ahead - sending them to prison and putting them through even more humiliation does no good for anyone.

Edited by Brentastic

Another example is drunk-driving. I've always vowed that if someone I knew and loved was killed by a drunk driver - I would not want that person going to prison. How can I send someone to prison in good conscience when I have drank and drove plenty of times? Sure, I have not killed anyone but I made the same poor decision to get behind the wheel after being Sega!-faced - I have just been fortunate enough to have nothing seriously bad happen.

:D

ummm....if you do it more than once, it is no longer a mistake.

Edited by dmarc117

No, I'm actually serious. I'm pretty facking sick of our society's approach toward other's mistakes and how the media has tainted our perception of reality. The media over the past few decades has basically converted to judge and jury over everyone and there is a trickle down effect that seems to devour the truth in people. I read everyone's B.S on these here boards daily and I hear the same judging mentality at work and with friends. Everyone is perfect - or so they think.

Bottom line - people make mistakes all the facking time. Sometimes those mistakes cost lives and sometimes those mistakes are easily cleaned up (spilled milk) but in the end they are still mistakes. I am not saying what they did is right, obviously, and it was very stupid - but there was no intent of harm by the parents - do we as a humane society really believe that "throwing the book" at these parents will do anything good for anyone? It is really time that we as humans really start to evaluate how we conduct ourselves and judge others - it's always easy when it's not YOU. I believe we should only punish those who intend on harming others.

Be honest - everyone here has made mistakes that could have gone much worse but we have been lucky. Why should the unlucky people be punished? We need to look at ourselves when we judge others. The parents have a life time of suffering ahead - sending them to prison and putting them through even more humiliation does no good for anyone.

Adults who makes mistakes should be held accountable. Adults should be required to have a license to have children so morans like these two couldn't have children. Your blaming the media for incompetent parents? A girl is missing, probably sexually abused and murdered because her parents are morans, but according to you it was just a little mistake? Give me a break.

ummm....if you do it more than once, it is no longer a mistake.

I guess you have only drank and drove once. You probably have also never rolled through a stop sign/light, or have never been on your cell phone while driving or have never changed the radio station while driving or never turned around to yell at a child or never reached in your McD's bag for some fries. All of these things could result in killing someone because your full attention is not on driving.

I guess you have only drank and drove once. You probably have also never rolled through a stop sign/light, or have never been on your cell phone while driving or have never changed the radio station while driving or never turned around to yell at a child or never reached in your McD's bag for some fries. All of these things could result in killing someone because your full attention is not on driving.

i have done all of those. and if i killed or injured someone, i should be punished.

Adults who makes mistakes should be held accountable. Adults should be required to have a license to have children so morans like these two couldn't have children. Your blaming the media for incompetent parents? A girl is missing, probably sexually abused and murdered because her parents are morans, but according to you it was just a little mistake? Give me a break.

Yeah it was a mistake - and in this situation that mistake had a very awful outcome. But come on, don't pretend to be so perfect Hugh. Parenting mistakes happen all of the time where nothing bad happens but you choose not to acknowledge that. Here's a scenario for you:

Would you ever have a party in your backyard, leave the baby in the bedroom while having your little walky-talky thing with you thinking that what you're doing is fine? In this scenario it would be just as easy for someone to go through the front door and take that child. Maybe you would never do this but there are plenty of people that do and think it's acceptable. My point is that these parents had a severe lack of judgement and will already be punished for life by not having their child and knowing that their actions were partially responsible for this tragedy. Why does society still need to put their "stamp" on this tragedy. Why is it not enough for you and everyone else that you need more "justice" to take place? You and everyone else must be damned special and perfect to demand such actions against these parents.

i have done all of those. and if i killed or injured someone, i should be punished.

Ok, tell me you really believe that when it happens and not just to defend your narrow-minded view. It's always easy to make claims like that when you're not in that situation.

Ok, tell me you really believe that when it happens and not just to defend your narrow-minded view. It's always easy to make claims like that when you're not in that situation.

dont get me wrong, i wouldnt be happy about it. and definitely wouldnt want to be punished. but that doesnt mean that i shouldnt be.

dont get me wrong, i wouldnt be happy about it. and definitely wouldnt want to be punished. but that doesnt mean that i shouldnt be.

I think your perception has been skewed by decades of media and governments persecuting anyone to make themselves look good. We need a whole societal shift - we need something near-catastrophic to occur so we humans wake-the-fack-up.

In this story, instead of arguing why the parents should be "thrown-the-book". What about the creep(s) who actually kidnapped the child. Hey!, there's an idea.

In this story, instead of arguing why the parents should be "thrown-the-book". What about the creep(s) who actually kidnapped the child. Hey!, there's an idea.

Great point, because everyone in the thread is arguing that the people who kidnapped them should get off scott-free - why, with the kids alone in the hotel room, the parents were practically BEGGING someone to kidnap them.

Great point, because everyone in the thread is arguing that the people who kidnapped them should get off scott-free - why, with the kids alone in the hotel room, the parents were practically BEGGING someone to kidnap them.

Actually, no one in this thread has once mentioned the kidnappers - the only mention has been how awful the parents are. Did you even read all of the posts? Or did you just come running to give credibility to your "friends" who have posted in this thread? You sure play the part of a fair and just person Chavez, I just think that you along with everyone else gets confused on the actual logic of humane fairness. You're too busy following a formula and you are un-aware to the brain-washing that has beem implemented upon you.

I think your perception has been skewed by decades of media and governments persecuting anyone to make themselves look good. We need a whole societal shift - we need something near-catastrophic to occur so we humans wake-the-fack-up.

and your perception of responsiblity for one's actions is a bit skewed.

Sure....let's leave a 2 year old and a 4 year old alone and IF something bad happens, we'll call it a simple mistake. Your soapbox is rotten, you moran.

Nice spin. The parents were wrong and made a poor decision on leaving the kids alone - I never said they didn't. If nothing were to happen - would they still deserve to have the "book thrown at them"? Based on your stance and how easy it is for you to judge others - I'm guessing you have never made poor decisions in your life. Man, it must be nice to be perfect :D

Are you guys kidding me?!?! The parents are suffering enough. We shouldn't punish for mistakes, everyone makes them, some are just more hazardous than others.

Your assumption is that the parent's are suffering, which they probably are. But what if two parents wanted to have their child kidnapped? There are stories everyday of mothers prostituting their own daughters, so I don't think it's a stretch to think that there are people who would want to get rid of their kids.

Punishing them for being negligent is one way for society to protect future children. A parent's number one job should be to ensure the safety of their children. There's a huge difference between making a mistake and not protecting those who can't protect themselves.